PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 diesel

trick450r
08-18-2006, 03:07 PM
what does everyone think of these, gas mileage in my 71' fj40 is killing me, so i want a diesel and i have a chance to get a k20 stepside with a 6.2 diesel in it for relatively cheap, im not looking for a speed demon diesel or anything, just something that gets alright gas mileage....SO, what does everyone think of these motors.

stalefish_132
08-18-2006, 03:54 PM
they are by no means a power house at all but they get 25-30mpg no matter how hard to drive them. if its in good running cond. they are pretty good. some problem's they are known for are head gaskets blowing, injection pump failure. but for the most part they are good as long as somone hasn't tryed ot get more power out of them (the bottoms can't take it). if its a good deal go for it, cant beat a chevy :D

quads14589
08-18-2006, 04:08 PM
my dad got one in his f350 she gets like 17 to about 18mpg on highway it has alot of power.

trick450r
08-18-2006, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by stalefish_132
they are by no means a power house at all but they get 25-30mpg no matter how hard to drive them. if its in good running cond. they are pretty good. some problem's they are known for are head gaskets blowing, injection pump failure. but for the most part they are good as long as somone hasn't tryed ot get more power out of them (the bottoms can't take it). if its a good deal go for it, cant beat a chevy :D

thanks i appreaciate it...i was just thinking an exhaust for it and thats it anyway...

stalefish_132
08-18-2006, 05:11 PM
yeah you put free flowing exhaust on it and you will get a bit better sound, changing it to an electric fan will help it out as well as far as gaining a few hp's and mpg's.;)

trick450r
08-18-2006, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by stalefish_132
yeah you put free flowing exhaust on it and you will get a bit better sound, changing it to an electric fan will help it out as well as far as gaining a few hp's and mpg's.;)

hey thanks alot man...is their anything i can do besides that to get some higher numbers, wihtout sacraficing the bottom end..

protraxrptr17
08-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Go here:thedieselplace.com (http://thedieselplace.com/forum/index.php?)

You will learn all you need to know about any Chevy diesel. I have a '97 6.5 and a '03 Duramax so I use this site all the time. You can search for hours and hours. Nice people there too.