PDA

View Full Version : pv vs. non pv cylinders?

slainwarrior
08-18-2006, 06:15 AM
how much more power does a pv cylinder make over a non pv cylinder is it really that big of a difference is it worth the extra money?

zedicus00
08-18-2006, 06:43 AM
pv cylinders make a bit LESS power then the non-pv bretheren. PV's DO make a masively smoother powerband and allow you to port a bit more extreme then without. if you like the smoothnes ov the thumpers youll like powervalves. ive grown up on pipey pingers an prefer to not hav powervalves.

Tom TRX250R
08-18-2006, 11:34 AM
Zedicus is right, and it all depends on what your riding style will be. If you are riding MX or trails, I would prefer to have a powerband to smooth the powerband out, but for the dunes I would prefer not to have one because it is better for dragging. A non powervalved motor will actually be a bit faster for dragging but if you need the low end then go for a powervalve! It turns the power more into a fourstroke then peaky like a light bulb powerband.

BLACKeR
08-18-2006, 03:26 PM
the above posts are right on. there seems to be a comon misconception that the powervalve is some kind of mystical device that makes your engine faster. to put it into very basic terms that most people can understand, its similar to the slide in your carb. it is raised and lowered depending on the RPM's increasing and decreasing the exhaust duration. think if your carborator slide was only up all the way. your bike would only run WFO. the powervalve works with your porting to make you bike run better at a variety of RPM's. agian this is simplified.

deathman53
08-18-2006, 03:42 PM
I so far own 2 pv cylinders and plan to get another, my 310pv in my atc250r makes so much power that it can throw you from it in a heartbeat(and it has twice), but at the same time the power is kinda smooth, not pipey. If you ride woods or mx, get the pv, you won't be sad.

C-LEIGH RACING
08-18-2006, 05:30 PM
You can also port the PV cylinders for drag (top end) & then do a little mod on the PV itself to make it open a little later to retain the bottom end & have both worlds for sure, but you better be holding on when that PV opens or hope those rear tires will spin cause it will be like a slingshot.
Neil

250r4life
08-19-2006, 12:18 AM
i have a 265 pv that has been ported and polished pretty aggresively... i just rebuilt the top and bottom end, and after break in i have been messing around with my powervalve settings... man, i didnt i didnt realize how much of a difference it makes... i had it set all the way up at one point, and man my bike would scream on top end like no other, but had no bottom end and for doing some hill climbs it sucked, cuz it would scream if you kept it wide open, but if you backed off it at all for big holes or something you were screwed... ive adjusted it down since, and sucker runs great... i can be climbing and be at 1/2 RPM and pin it, and it'll rev to full RPM where without that powervalve working it wouldnt do it...

i wouldnt exactly compare it to thumpers though... its like having the best of both worlds... i have that screaming top end that i love about two strokes, but i have bottom end and i can get into the powerband without completely revving out the previous gear... i really like the way my engine is set up and how she performs...