PDA

View Full Version : pipey engine?

juanki
08-17-2006, 04:59 PM
what do you mean by pipey engine? never heard that word.

then i noticed on an ad fron denton racing a part... the ad goes..

pipey engine?.. garenteed fix.

so what does that mean? and what does that divice does to the engine?

thankx

Scottt89
08-17-2006, 05:35 PM
Not sure what the Denton device does, but usually pipey engine means you are either in the power, or out of the power. There really is no inbetween. So its either a load to hang on to, or you are barely moving. That was always my interpreation of it.

juanki
08-17-2006, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Scottt89
Not sure what the Denton device does, but usually pipey engine means you are either in the power, or out of the power. There really is no inbetween. So its either a load to hang on to, or you are barely moving. That was always my interpreation of it.

so when you talk about it, its ether good or bad? i guess depending on the description.

i read te ad and it says "torque kit" i twould think its for the botom end.

TheFontMaster
08-17-2006, 09:08 PM
It means that the quad only have power in one part of the powerband. Which for a 250r pretty much always will mean hardly any bottom end power, a little mid range power, and tons of power on the top end. I remember the adds for those things that you are talking about. I wouldn't waist my money on one.

juanki
08-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
I remember the adds for those things that you are talking about. I wouldn't waist my money on one.

i read in an interwiew of gary denton in DW, that this was one of the top seller products that he has. i was wondering to get one for my quad, really i dont feel it that bad in the lower rpms, but if that could help why not?
my bike is bored .50 ant that prety much it in the power department. also i was lookin in getting a product from scary fast, i think that that would help.

what dou you guys think about both products?

Tom TRX250R
08-18-2006, 11:36 AM
Don't waste your money, focus on reeds, bigger carb like a 38mm Airstryker, port your cylinder, buy a appropriate pipe/silencer combo to match your porting. It will rip after that, if you want to really bump the power up, buy a Pro-X big bore cylinder and get it ported.

Dave83
08-18-2006, 11:43 AM
A "pipey" engine to me will come on all at once.Drag ported Banshees come to mind.You hit the throttle,feels smooth,and then bam,arms are pulled out of socket.This is why they came out with powervalves.They broaden the powerband so the "hit" isnt as violent.Engines ported for bottom end feel smoother because the hit comes quicker then you rev past it,mid-top porting,I feel it more because you kinda wait on the hit.If you are talking about the Power Now device,it creates a vortex to atomize the fuel/air mixture.Everyone here says they help,IDK.You can get the same effect by having the carb "spiraled".They use a porting tool to grind swirls in the throat of the carb to cause the vortex.Airstryker carbs use the 2 fins in the bottom to help with bottom end power.