PDA

View Full Version : clutch problem on a 400

crashinmatt
08-25-2002, 07:19 PM
ok today i was racin and on my first lap i was ridin and all of a sudden my clutched lever felt like it popped. kinda like a cable breakin. but the cable is fine. i can turn the thing that comes outta the case that the cable hooks to. to me it seems like something internal. but i dont know what. any suggestions? im gonna be takin it apart tomorrow to try and find the problem.

Castor-426ex
08-26-2002, 01:28 AM
theres a spring in there...you might have broken...or it could have been the basket....but im not too sure bout that...pull the cover off...then youll know

crashinmatt
08-26-2002, 07:26 PM
yeah im gonna pull the cover off as soon as i have time. i figured id ask on here to see if anyone knew for sure. thanks for the help.

holeshot19
08-26-2002, 07:39 PM
the lifter pin inside is probaly broke.

Wingnut
08-26-2002, 08:19 PM
I agree with holeshot19. It could have been worse. You could have been 10 hours from home running third in a national on the second lap when it broke.

crashinmatt
08-26-2002, 09:17 PM
ok now if indeed that is the problemm how do i go about fixin it. i need a new lift pin, and then do i need to disassemble the clutch? i know my way around a motor, but i just wanna know how long of a job it is? thanks for the help.

Wingnut
08-27-2002, 04:55 AM
You will have to take the pressure plate out to get the main part of the pin out, but it will then just slide out. The little disk will be held in by the shaft in the clutch cover. I don't remember if you can just play around with the shaft to get the piece out or if the shaft has to be slid out of place. I think there is something about this in the "Frequently Asked Questions" forum.

crashinmatt
08-27-2002, 08:07 PM
thanks all. that is the problem and i got it apart. just need to order parts now.