PDA

View Full Version : My quad sucks!!!

rooster300ex
08-17-2006, 01:37 PM
I have my quads jetting like the DJ jet kit says, but the throttle response sucks when it gets hot, it cuts out at 1/4 throttle still, sometimes the power just seems flat & blah.

right now
2 3/4 turns out on pilot(38),DJ needle on 4th groove,128 Main DJ, Choke removed(properly),cam,11:1 piston,oversized headpipe,cobra exhaust.

Sometimes it runs really good. Most of the time it runs good wide open. Ya'll think i might need to raise the clip on the needle or anything. There is a guy on here that has a similiar setup and this is pretty much what is jetting is, and his runs good. I just don't know. I know my valve guides are alil worn, because it smokes sometimes when i first start it, or when its really hot on decel. Not whole lot though. I've heard its hard to fine tune a motor with leaks.

08-17-2006, 01:40 PM
try changing the needle setting...put it on the third down from the top...

gotta love those put 'em in and go dynojets kits...they are jhust a starting point for jetting, you may/will need to tweak all circuits...

rooster300ex
08-17-2006, 03:32 PM
Oh believe me i've tried other things. I think it needs a DJ126 but its not in the kit. It goes from 124 to 128 as alot of people know. I think i need to turn my fuel screw to 2 and a half turns or something.

pudamac12
08-17-2006, 08:33 PM
get rid of that stupid jet kit. Those things are the biggest waste of money. Go to your local dealer and ask what jet sizes they recommend for pipes and spend the three dollars a jet costs and put that in and you should be fine. I really hate seeing people piss money away on jet kits.

08-18-2006, 06:04 AM
if it stumbles at 1/4 throttle, it is your needle circuit...

0-1/4 throttle is pilot jet,
1/4 to 3/4 throttle is needle
3/4 oto full is main jet

of course ther eis some overlap to and from all of them, but that is a general guideline...
also, like pudamac said, lose the dynojet kit

rooster300ex
08-18-2006, 08:43 AM
The reason i got it was because it was a good price for K&N filter,jets,outerwear and recharger kit.

If I went back to the stock needle,stock pilot,stock main what mains do i need,and where should set my needle, and how many turns on the fuel screw.

rooster300ex
08-18-2006, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by pudamac12
get rid of that stupid jet kit. Those things are the biggest waste of money. Go to your local dealer and ask what jet sizes they recommend for pipes and spend the three dollars a jet costs and put that in and you should be fine. I really hate seeing people piss money away on jet kits.

My local dealers are *******s. The only thing they care about is selling quads and bikes.

bwamos
08-18-2006, 09:03 AM
Dynojet kits only compensate for pipe, filter, and no lid.

If you have a high compression piston, cam, etc.. you're going to have to tweak it.

The setup you're running is for the pipe/filter and NO airbox lid.

Is your airbox lid on? If so it's like running with the choke set. You will run like you're trying to tow a quad behind you. Too rich all over.

If your lid is off.. you're probably a tad lean in places due to the high compression piston (11:1).

rooster300ex
08-18-2006, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Dynojet kits only compensate for pipe, filter, and no lid.

If you have a high compression piston, cam, etc.. you're going to have to tweak it.

The setup you're running is for the pipe/filter and NO airbox lid.

Is your airbox lid on? If so it's like running with the choke set. You will run like you're trying to tow a quad behind you. Too rich all over.

If your lid is off.. you're probably a tad lean in places due to the high compression piston (11:1).

I'm running no lid.

cop292
08-20-2006, 01:48 PM
What does the spark plug look like? Brown, black, oil??

rooster300ex
08-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by cop292
What does the spark plug look like? Brown, black, oil??

I'm not telling you nothing your a cop!

Naw just kidding dude. When I wash my quad i'll check. I like to wash my quad before I open any holes on it. And before I take my plug out I blow compressed air down where the plug is before i take it out. When its about half way out i'll hit it with alil more air to keep it real clean.

GPracer2500
08-22-2006, 01:18 PM
Once the plug is loose but not all the way out you can turn the engine over a few times. Air will escape around the plug and help push any debris out of the area.

rooster300ex
08-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Once the plug is loose but not all the way out you can turn the engine over a few times. Air will escape around the plug and help push any debris out of the area.

Yea most people don't have an air compressor at all times to use. Thats a good way if you don't have one.

Warrioreater400ex
08-27-2006, 03:17 PM
maybe im wayyy off.. but my 400ex seemed like it had some jetting problems and i fooled around with it forever, it would cut out at full throttle and if i punched it hard it would just try to die, or hiccup before it started going... turns out my valves were out of adjustment, adjusted the valves and BAM it ran great, throttle response was great.. so check your valves...

rooster300ex
08-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Warrioreater400ex
maybe im wayyy off.. but my 400ex seemed like it had some jetting problems and i fooled around with it forever, it would cut out at full throttle and if i punched it hard it would just try to die, or hiccup before it started going... turns out my valves were out of adjustment, adjusted the valves and BAM it ran great, throttle response was great.. so check your valves...

Since I had it rebuilt I haven't adjusted the valves. I don't have a job right now or any money, so I can't do that. I'll just quit riding all together i don't have the money or anything. maybe I should sell my damn quad for some money.

GPracer2500
08-28-2006, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
Since I had it rebuilt I haven't adjusted the valves. I don't have a job right now or any money, so I can't do that. I'll just quit riding all together i don't have the money or anything. maybe I should sell my damn quad for some money.

:confused: Adjusting valves isn't all that hard. You can do it yourself for free. All you need are basic tools and some feeler guages. You can get feeler guages at any auto parts store for--oh, I don't know--maybe $10.

Xater
08-29-2006, 12:54 PM
get a 2 stroke its 100 times easer to deal with :p anway its really easy so ajust the valves i think it just uses a regular screwdriver.

rooster300ex
08-30-2006, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
:confused: Adjusting valves isn't all that hard. You can do it yourself for free. All you need are basic tools and some feeler guages. You can get feeler guages at any auto parts store for--oh, I don't know--maybe $10.

I have a manual for my 300ex. I guess i'll check it out and see all the work that is involved. I checked it out and I can't find where is says the specs for the valve stem to the rocker arm. I'm sure its there but it doesn't say what it says to look for. I have a webcam all-around cam in my 300ex too. Does that make the feeler gauge measurment different? Seems like a pain in the *** to me.

rooster300ex
08-30-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Xater
get a 2 stroke its 100 times easer to deal with :p anway its really easy so ajust the valves i think it just uses a regular screwdriver.

You asking for it. I would rather have to adjust valves then replace pistons,seals and bearings in yours every year or so.j/k

bwamos
08-30-2006, 12:36 PM
Easier than changing the oil.

Tools:
Feeler guage (pre-bent type is the best)
8mm box wrench
10mm box wrench for tappet covers
duckbill pliers (needle nose if you dont have duckbills)

15 minutes tops.

Messing with the plastics is harder than the adjustment.

rooster300ex
08-30-2006, 02:28 PM
The webcam instructions say valve lash is .004 for intake and exhaust. Is this corriect? How will I know if they are out of adjustment?

F-16Guy
08-30-2006, 02:51 PM
Usually the exhaust has a little larger gap because of the extra heat, but if that's what it says, go by that. Make sure the engine is at top dead center; line up timing mark behind left side stator cover access cover (small circle). If not, rotate engine CCW with a socket on the flywheel bolt (behind the bigger circle in middle of stator cover) until the mark is lined up. There should now be a little play in all of the rockers (tappets). If, at TDC, you can insert a bigger feeler gage than the specs call for (0.005", 0.006", etc.), then you need to adjust them. Back off the lock nut a little so you can move the tappet adjuster screw, insert a 0.004" feeler gage, and carefully tighten the tappet adjuster screw until you feel some resistance when sliding the gage in and out of the gap. If you remove the gage and can't reinsert it, it's too tight. If you can easily insert it with little or no resistance, it's too loose. It's a fine line, but you'll get the feel for it. The trick is tightening the lock nut without messing up the setting. Keep the screwdriver on the tappet screw while you tighten the lock nut so it doesn't move. If you get a set of feeler gages that are "L" shaped (bent at the end), they will be easier to insert.

rooster300ex
08-30-2006, 03:51 PM
I guess i'll give it a try one of these days.I've got a manual too. If I had the money I would rather just send it to the shop ready to adjust them. You know like take the tank off get the plastic out of the way etc.