PDA

View Full Version : Steering Stabilizers

RayWilt
08-17-2006, 09:45 AM
Was looking into getting a stabilizer not sure what i want was looking at those triumph dual set ups didnt seem bad for the price. Whats your guys opinion

chad502ex
08-17-2006, 09:54 AM
i prefer the billet 7 position adjustable type than the new high dollar next generation type. Maybe cause I have not had the opportunity to ride the new damper yet and can not justify the added value...

fandl450r
08-17-2006, 10:17 AM
Going from a stick stabilizer to a new higher end unit, such as a Precision, which is what I run, it's a night and day difference. There is no comparison, although they are pretty pricey and I was sketchy at frist of spending that much money and a stabilizer after running one for a little over 9 months, I'll never look back.

chad502ex
08-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by fandl450r
Going from a stick stabilizer to a new higher end unit, such as a Precision, which is what I run, it's a night and day difference. There is no comparison, although they are pretty pricey and I was sketchy at frist of spending that much money and a stabilizer after running one for a little over 9 months, I'll never look back.

explain why, please!

eastside 400
08-17-2006, 12:50 PM
the reason im switching to elka is i like the way the new stabilizers are "hidden" in the frame, ive bent stick stabilizers before because if you crash its one of the first things to hit on the front end, the stick stabilizers always seem to blow out or loose adjustment after a while too, i kno you can rebuild them and all but im spending the extra money now and hopefully it will last

tltcracing
08-17-2006, 04:26 PM
for the money the stick ones are good but if you have the extra cash. they are really that much better. but you may only need a stick. some ppl dont have enough experience to feel the difference the high end ones offer. ithink the denton stick is the best one, as far as high end "puck" style, you realy cant go wrong with any of them.

redwing310r
08-17-2006, 05:23 PM
use the muscle 7 pos one ...for bout 150....throw it away when it leaks....never seem to get rebuild right....bent rod....etc...i have one on my trx 310r for 5 years....rec ridind [hard].....i leave it in the middle setting......also get those fasst co flex bars....worth every penny....and then some.

fandl450r
08-18-2006, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by chad502ex
explain why, please!

Well I think the nicest thing the precision about the precision as some others have mentioned is the way it mounts. It clamps to the horizontal frame rails in front of the stem using two supplied bolts and then using a 3 part linkage system it bolts to the steering shaft. I could never get the stick style ones to mount the way I wanted and when using remote resivoir shocks it was always a hassle to try and find a spot to mount them. Where the Precision, WER, and I'm assuming Elkas mount at solves this problem.

Ride wise, even with the stick cranked up to the max I still got quite a bit of feedback while going through the rough stuff, and skimming whoops and every once in awhile it would remind me with a nice jab of the handlebars into my thigh. :) With the precision, I get more adjustability. With side, and center adjustments it allows you to be more precise in where you are wanting the stabilizer to be heavy and where you don't. For example I keep my center adjustment more firm than my sides, so it keeps me straight but still allows for easy turning. The stick style ones on the other hand only has has a single adjustment, I think 7 clicks If I remember right.

So with a different mounting point, more adjustments, and a more precise linkage system it's a no brainer. You may pay more now, but this thing probably won't ever have to be rebuilt while I own it. Feel free to ask more questions, I'll be happy to oblige.
:)

chad502ex
08-18-2006, 08:40 AM
Well I think the nicest thing the precision about the precision as some others have mentioned is the way it mounts. It clamps to the horizontal frame rails in front of the stem using two supplied bolts and then using a 3 part linkage system it bolts to the steering shaft. I could never get the stick style ones to mount the way I wanted and when using remote resivoir shocks it was always a hassle to try and find a spot to mount them. Where the Precision, WER, and I'm assuming Elkas mount at solves this problem.

Ride wise, even with the stick cranked up to the max I still got quite a bit of feedback while going through the rough stuff, and skimming whoops and every once in awhile it would remind me with a nice jab of the handlebars into my thigh. :) With the precision, I get more adjustability. With side, and center adjustments it allows you to be more precise in where you are wanting the stabilizer to be heavy and where you don't. For example I keep my center adjustment more firm than my sides, so it keeps me straight but still allows for easy turning. The stick style ones on the other hand only has has a single adjustment, I think 7 clicks If I remember right.

So with a different mounting point, more adjustments, and a more precise linkage system it's a no brainer. You may pay more now, but this thing probably won't ever have to be rebuilt while I own it. Feel free to ask more questions, I'll be happy to oblige.
:)

thanks much for your reply- i appreciate your explanation.

fandl450r
08-18-2006, 08:48 AM
thanks much for your reply- i appreciate your explanation.

No problem, anytime. It seems like you know your motors, so maybe you can teach me a thing or two lol.

chad502ex
08-18-2006, 09:12 AM
No problem, anytime. It seems like you know your motors, so maybe you can teach me a thing or two lol.

i try to help give a indepth look into the engines on the forums for members here to learn and enjoy.

kinda my second job too, but fun'r than my first.

heh.

fandl450r
08-18-2006, 09:47 AM
i try to help give a indepth look into the engines on the forums for members here to learn and enjoy.

kinda my second job too, but fun'r than my first.

heh.

Well it's always appreciated trust me, I love reading your motor buildup threads. Haha it always seems like that doesn't it.

trx400exxracer
08-18-2006, 03:43 PM
Well we have a precision here at the house for my bro's 450r but havent put it on yet but i got a Denton but by Fandl's feedback i fugure i will have to make the switch to the precision

i also thought about switching from stick stabilizer and regular handlebars to precision stabilizer and Flexx handlebars mabye in the future!!!

Dave400ex
08-18-2006, 07:02 PM
After having a Denton on my 400 for 2-3 years, the Precision is awesome! The seperate adjustments are really nice. I'm still playing with mine to see what I like best. Now the Flexx bars very well maybe the best thing I have ever bought! I will never own another set of handlebars...