PDA

View Full Version : Sand Hurts!

Jackie
08-17-2006, 08:53 AM
I was at silver lake last sunday and hit the wet sand hard enough to break my #4 thru 8 ribs on my left side and the #5 & 6 in two places. I was playing around in the water puddles and hit one too fast and too sharp and went over the left front tire. So I ended up doing an end-o and of course the quad landed on me so I also have an 8in Dia black bruse on my upper left thigh. My 400ex steering stem ended up with a 20° bend, the bars are about 2in from the gas cap and broke the clutch handle. I had some guys load my quad, I drove home, then about 4 hours afterwards the pain set in, went to the hospital and they kept me over night, cuz two of the breaks are very jagged. They wanted to make sure I didnt get a punchered lung. So I am off work on the mend. I quit the mind altering meds today and am bearing the pain.
I have heard it takes a while to heal ribs, how long is a while?
I want to ride again this season.
:confused:
Moral to the story "sand does give you a false sence of security" ouch!!

rlplive
08-17-2006, 10:15 AM
Damn! The bad thing about ribs is there isn't much you can do for them. I think you will be able to ride but they are going to hurt for a while. How fast did you hit the puddle?

Jackie
08-17-2006, 01:58 PM
I was doing great hydro-planing across the puddles it was the berm around the puddle that took me out so I hit wet sand. Its a dounut bowl with water in it. I do feel alot better. I had to get off those drugs. I took them for 3 days. Didn't want to become a junkie. The double broken ribs are the ones giving me the most trouble, they click when I breath or move. That creeps me out.
I have head dove into soft sand before and didn't hurt half as bad as this. Puddles are not on my list anymore.
thanks

Jackie
08-17-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by rlplive
Damn! The bad thing about ribs is there isn't much you can do for them. I think you will be able to ride but they are going to hurt for a while. How fast did you hit the puddle?
sorry I have no clue, I guess fast enough to bust me up.

rlplive
08-17-2006, 02:35 PM
Ya i figured you didnt know how fast you were goin. I figure if you were haulin across puddles you were prolly movin. Ya the whole clickin while you breath has to suck. Hope you get to fide again soon. The drugs def make you feel like hell.

Jackie
08-17-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by rlplive
Ya i figured you didnt know how fast you were goin. I figure if you were haulin across puddles you were prolly movin. Ya the whole clickin while you breath has to suck. Hope you get to fide again soon. The drugs def make you feel like hell.

I hope to ride the dunes in a couple of months. A least go a few times in oct. before the dunes close for the winter. I will give it a try sooner but on the network of trails out in my 20 acre woods.
ride safe
play safe
chow

Subarudude
08-17-2006, 07:26 PM
Wow i hope you heal up fast! Try not to rush urself to quickly tho.

buildingup
08-18-2006, 12:34 PM
takes about 6 months to heal broken ribs...and you pretty much can't do anything for that time either...hope you feel good soon..what part of Michigan u from?

Jackie
08-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by buildingup
takes about 6 months to heal broken ribs...and you pretty much can't do anything for that time either...hope you feel good soon..what part of Michigan u from?

north of Grand Rapids, in Newaygo county, between Howard City and Newaygo
thanks for the info
I guess I will have all winter to fix my 400ex :(

tye101
08-20-2006, 02:00 AM
damn, that sucks,, i back flipped a warrior last year,, it landed on my head,, *no helment*,, it sucked,, at to get most of my left ear sown back on,, and it cracked my jaw in two places,, and yes, it was also on the sand

Jackie
08-20-2006, 05:33 PM
NO HELMET! god I sure do hope you wear one now. The Jaw thing brings back some other painfull memories of mine when I didn't wear a seat belt and ended up with just about a whole new face. Sometimes we must live and learn..
chow
ride safe
play safe
:cool:

WoofersInc
08-20-2006, 10:39 PM
Sorry to hear about that. I'm a nurse and paramedic by trade. Hopefully they told you about the deep breathing exercises and such so that you don't develop a pneumonia. If not send me a message and I'll help out. Went dune running today and had a pretty good get off myself. Nothing broken but boy am I sore. Didn't know they still allowed the AK your holding in Michigan

Jackie
08-21-2006, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by WoofersInc
Sorry to hear about that. I'm a nurse and paramedic by trade. Hopefully they told you about the deep breathing exercises and such so that you don't develop a pneumonia. If not send me a message and I'll help out. Went dune running today and had a pretty good get off myself. Nothing broken but boy am I sore. Didn't know they still allowed the AK your holding in Michigan
yeap the great folks at the hospital had me talk to 4 doctors and sent me home with a breathing exersiser; the ball that goes up when breathing in and yes I am using it. I asked a bunch of questions on the healing process and basicly was told that as I move the popping is the bones wearing themselves down to create and nice rounded smooth surface so the ends can adhear to each other. I am down to only taking vicadin at night and am sleeping on my oppisite side with out waking up. Healing is 80% attitude and 20% care, and I have a great attitude for getting well. I just need to stay off the quad. It is so tempting to just jump onto my daughters 250ex and zip around in the yard. My father just laughs at me and says you know you can hurt yourself on those things. But he did say when you are ready to tear down the 400ex and fix it he will be my wrench monkey. Nice guy for being 70 years old. He has a Rincon but only rides in the neighborhood which consits of about 120 acres of woods and fields. Personal support systems are great to have. Thanks for the offer of help. If you feel I left anything out just say so I do want to heal as quick as possible.
Glad to hear you are only sore after your spill in the sand. I have came to the fact that I should leave the hydroplaning to the youngins. But its so darn much fun to fly on top of the water. I do still plan on getting air in nice soft sand..:D
also I was shooting in PA with my sweetie. I think you can still own and shoot them in MI but must have the auto feature disabled. Which is on this AK. (I think ya just can't purchase them here in MI). Guns are so cool to target shoot and hunt with. I belive in personal protection. I grew up around them, as my father and eldest bro are retired Detroit cops. There was always a means of protection in the house and as a kid we never touched them. Only at the range with dad. I feel education is best, right along with the wrath of dad if one ever even thought of getting near them. I also have all of my children understand and shoot guns (real ones, paint ball, soft and archery). If a draft was ever reinstated wouldnt you want someone who knew how to handle a gun with the correct attituded to protect you? and their chances of returning home are increased by a large margin.
chow
play safe
ride safe
:cool:

WoofersInc
08-22-2006, 10:34 PM
Glad to hear that they give you some good info and set you up with the breathing exercises. You'll be sore for a while but you should be able to ride within a couple weeks. Keep it safe..

bscott6
08-22-2006, 11:00 PM
hey since your lamed up you can drive my quad to cali :)

Jackie
08-23-2006, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by bscott6
hey since your lamed up you can drive my quad to cali :)

3K and I will drive there to pick it up..lol I was in Glamis the first week of April. I ride with some friends from Cal when I go.
The doc told me today that I can ride in 6 1/2 more weeks so thats good timing..I will for sure get at least a few more rides in at Silver lake before the season ends there on Oct. 31st. I better get working on replacing my steering stem..
chow and have a safe trip out to sunny southern cal.

QuadJunkies
08-27-2006, 08:50 PM
I have watched my hubby heal from broken ribs and sternum... Im sorry to say they take awhile to heal and the older you get the slower bones heal( he was in his 30's ) his sternum STILL hurts when he sneezes or coughs,you can actually hear it POP! :huh :scary:

I hope you heal quick,glad your OK!

tye101
08-28-2006, 03:16 AM
i went riding on sunday,,, i almost flipped my quad,,, turns out,,, i landed on the handle bars, making my u know whats go into my throat,,

Woodsrider
09-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by tye101
i went riding on sunday,,, i almost flipped my quad,,, turns out,,, i landed on the handle bars, making my u know whats go into my throat,,

How'd they taste? LOL Youd have been better off flipping it and letting the quad get the bruise, huh.

Jackie
09-13-2006, 05:22 AM
Well I am feeling great. Been able to dance all night with no pain untill the next day. Just a bit. I have made plans to ride silver lake the weekend of Oct. 7th. I have my parts ordered and should be ready to fly...I have a red 400ex with a feather boa on my flag..stop and chat if you can catch me..
play safe
ride safe..I need to remember that one..
chow
:D

Coolidge
09-19-2006, 12:15 PM
Wow, Good to hear you are on the mend. Broken ribs/collar bones are very difficult to 'set' and they hurt like a bi%&h! Coughing & laughing are the worst. I had the same 'crunching' when I broke my clavicle. Doc said dont worry...It'll set.

I flipped my quad (06 450r Honda) this past weekend. My bike flipped and landed on the top of the h-bars. My steer stem snapped in 1/2, and took switches,bars, out with it. My L/F wheel is folded over too. I too am waiting on parts. Luckily, my helmet absorbed the impact. Funny thing, my crash happened close to camp. Where I usually ride w/no helmet, or proper foot wear. I will never, ever ride w/no helmet, no matter what.

Feel better soon, Good luck!!
~Guy

pit/wood
09-19-2006, 10:12 PM
I wa s 45 when I hit a dog and broke three ribs off and cracked 2 others.I had the grinders also ,seemed like they would stop then I would move the wrong way and they would start makin noise again.. ridin was painfull but you just grunt a little more to ease it.

I tore my a/c a few days ago but I will be at silver again on the 30th or 31st,hopfully riding with both hands gripping the bars.

good luck with the ribs girl

Jackie
09-20-2006, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Coolidge
Wow, Good to hear you are on the mend. Broken ribs/collar bones are very difficult to 'set' and they hurt like a bi%&h! Coughing & laughing are the worst. I had the same 'crunching' when I broke my clavicle. Doc said dont worry...It'll set.

I flipped my quad (06 450r Honda) this past weekend. My bike flipped and landed on the top of the h-bars. My steer stem snapped in 1/2, and took switches,bars, out with it. My L/F wheel is folded over too. I too am waiting on parts. Luckily, my helmet absorbed the impact. Funny thing, my crash happened close to camp. Where I usually ride w/no helmet, or proper foot wear. I will never, ever ride w/no helmet, no matter what.

Feel better soon, Good luck!!
~Guy

Just an fyi- a 9-year-old farm girl flipped her family’s quad on top of herself 2 days ago and now she’s dead. SHE HAD NO HELMET OR ATV TRAINING..... My children have been riding for a long time and rule number one is the HELMET and some sort of sanctioned ATV course..
Thanks for the get well wishes but please do your mother a favor.. Even next to camp cover your bean...
Chow
Dunes rule...

Jackie
09-20-2006, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by pit/wood
I wa s 45 when I hit a dog and broke three ribs off and cracked 2 others.I had the grinders also ,seemed like they would stop then I would move the wrong way and they would start makin noise again.. ridin was painfull but you just grunt a little more to ease it.

I tore my a/c a few days ago but I will be at silver again on the 30th or 31st,hopfully riding with both hands gripping the bars.

good luck with the ribs girl

Yep the two ribs that broke in the front and the back (other three only on the back side) are still popping in the front, but the pain is getting better everyday. I couldn't wait and just had to take my daughters 250ex for a zip through the woods last Sunday. I didn’t feel a thing, other than happiness to be riding again. The dry spell was killing me. lol I figured that after doing 8 hours of yard work with out feeling to much pain, that I could ride for awhile too!
Thanks for the get-well wishes.
Hope you feel ok with your new bodily damage..ouch..
Have fun at the dunes.