PDA

View Full Version : Z400 won't start

cdale2002
08-17-2006, 08:07 AM
My freind has a 2003 Z400 and last time we went ridding he said it was cutting out like it had a pluged filter. Then when we got it to his house it quit running completely and it wont even pop off. It still cranks over with the starter and we tried to pull start it once but it still didn't even try to start still. Whats weird is it has spark, getting fuel, and seems to have plenty of compression. Would you guys know what would cause this.

Tri-valleyracin
08-17-2006, 08:39 AM
My dads did the same thing its prolly the carb is cloged. Put more gas in the tank the z400s hate being below a 1/2 tank.

cdale2002
08-17-2006, 01:24 PM
It probably has about half an tank in it. we even tried the prime to get it to start and still won't fire.

IrideMHSC
08-17-2006, 04:23 PM
Well ive had the same problem a few times and it always seemed to be a different problem all the time... First try a new plug...I know you said it has fire but sometimes they dont fire at the right time. If that dosent work try the connection on your CDI box if its loose at all it will cough and splutter and if it gets loose enought wont run period.. and even though it proally looks tight.. check it again. And if he was riding anywere near water check to see if theres water were the CDI plugs into the Harness. If all that fails (this may not be an easy possibility) but i would then check it with another CDI box itself... sometimes they fry without any warning and will do all kinda of wierd stuff like that... Thats my personal experience... whatever good it'll do ya.

cdale2002
08-17-2006, 05:10 PM
Ok thanks I'll let him know and have him check that.