PDA

View Full Version : Good tire setup for 450R

kane47
08-17-2006, 05:41 AM
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a good tire setup, that won't break my vacation funds... ha ha.
I'm a motocrosser/trail guy. We have a small multi terrain track, georgia clay, rich dirt, and grass. I want a good well rounded tire setup. I'm not really hardcore enough for a new set of rims yet, so I'd like to stay on the stockers.
I've been told that turf tamers on the rear are the way to go....

What are you guys running?

Thanks

ZSNOW
08-17-2006, 05:53 AM
i run turf tamers on the back and front pros on the front (obviously) but it seems to do pretty good....then get kinda loose in sloppy stuff out on the trail

PolarisRider
08-17-2006, 09:57 AM
im running turf tamers. i dont like them. thats ONLY becuase they dont hook up on the sloppy stuff as mentioned above. they work great anywhere else. awesome on hardpack. nuff said:macho

bwamos
08-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Turf tamers work well on hardpack/dry situations.

IMHO the best all-around tire that will handle the muddy situations, as well as the dry, is the Kenda Klaw. They are also slightly cheaper than the turf tamer. (only by a couple dollars though. ;)

My favorite combo is a Kenda Klaw XC Rear and Razr2 Fronts for your all around XC setup..

For MX/Hardpack open field riding.. you may try the Kenda Klaw MX w/ ITP MX front. But the MX fronts will push badly in the sloppy stuff.

dg26
08-17-2006, 11:24 AM
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?prodFamilyId=14098&navTitle=Tires+and+Wheels&pageLinkUri=&webCatId=8&vehicleType=&priceRange=allPrices&webTypeId=138&brandId=134&navType=type

for your situation i would get the new itp tracstars, awesome tire

DEVINF450R
08-18-2006, 10:42 AM
get 20" razrs in the rear and 22 or 21" razrs in the front...the 18" mx tire just doesnt give you enuff ground clearance to trail ride if there is any logs or ruts at all. and 20" is stock rear size so you won't have to do any gearing change to keep your ratios the same. I have had Zero problems with any maxxis tire.