PDA

View Full Version : Good bike for 7 year old?

shadango
08-17-2006, 05:18 AM
Hi folks...

I am new to the forum.....

I am looking into buying an ATV for my son..he is turning 7 at the end of this month...he is about 3'11" tall....

WOuld the TRX90 be a good choice for him?

I have looked at a few other bikes....the SUNL 110, which would fit him perfect, maybe a little on the small side, but it was too light duty for my tatse even at the cheap price.....I looked at a Polaris Predator 90....seems like it would be the right size for him with some room to grow...but I dont know if I like the CVT and 2 stroke stuff....and it had bad hubs and loose front end and it was only 2 years old!!!

I have a 86 TRX250X and I love it....it just keeps going! So I thought I would look at the TRX90...

It doesnt have nearly the features as the SUNLs do....it also doesnt have electric start which I wanted.....but it seems to be bulletproof....

So, size wise and such, is this a good ATV for my son? What is one of these worth if it was a 2001? KBB says tradein value of $1000....Retail value of $1700 (!!!!!).....

Any problems inherent to the bike?

I know there is a TON of aftermarket available for it which is great....

Thanks for the help folks!

Shadango

PTMracing
08-17-2006, 07:14 AM
)he TRX90 would probably be the right choice. It does have a shifter though? No clutch, he just has to go through the gears. If he's just gonna ride, ride, ride, then my opinion would be to go with the TRX. They are bulletproof. Plus it will give him some experience on shifting. The tiawanese quads like SUNL's and such are indeed cheap. The quads are made cheap The parts are made cheap. The parts sell cheap. It's like buying your tools at Wal-mart. They are not necessarily made for the "long haul", and will wear quickly. Although some others might beg to differ......we'll find out how many do, when they post below me.:D Don't get me wrong, the tiawanese quads make good racers. Parts are EVERYWHERE. Just my $0.02 though. If the shifting doesn't interest you (TRX), than you might look Suzuki LT80. Good tough 2 stroke. Auto CVT transmission too. Although.. they do not have swingarm suspension in the rear like the TRX90 does. The motor pivots like a swingarm. But for just riding around the house could be great. Both quads are still very capable of being raced as well. The LT, due to it's lack of rear suspension is becoming less known as a racer, with the exception of TT. It is still a good competitor. The TRX is still known as a good racer though. Hope this helps.:)

shadango
08-17-2006, 07:40 AM
Yeah, I heard about teh LT not having suspension etc......plus its a 2 stroke and CVT.....all things I dont like....

Seems like the Honda is almost the ONLY choice if youwant a 4 stroke with gears instead of a belt....