PDA

View Full Version : snowmobile track and suspension swap

coolex
08-16-2006, 10:15 PM
i have a 1978 arctic cat el tigre, it runs but the suspension and track are shot. i also have a 1989 yamaha exciter liquid cooler, i was wondering if it is possible to take the rear suspension (not just the shock) and the track and put it on the el tigre. any info or sugestions would help. thank you very much, because the track is crap, and theres little to no suspension. it bottoms out with me sitting on it

bigbadbrad
08-16-2006, 10:17 PM
you could do it but it will probally take alot of time and money to get it done, the exciter is a much better machine then the el tigre, why dont you just run that one?

coolex
08-16-2006, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by bigbadbrad
you could do it but it will probally take alot of time and money to get it done, the exciter is a much better machine then the el tigre, why dont you just run that one?

o i wish i could run the yamaha, but the engine is toast the guy before me that had it took the heads off and the jug was open , filled with water, rusted and is junk,

also when you say alot of money, what would i be nneeding to buy to make this work that would cost money

thanks

Quad18star
08-17-2006, 04:31 AM
I highly doubt it is possible.

I haven't looked at the specifics of each undercarriage , but I'm 99.9% sure they aren't the same ( ie . different lengths, different mounting sections , ...) .

It would probably give you more of a headache and take quite a bit of money to do it . Save the cash and put it towards a different sled with better suspension ..... sleds are going for pretty cheap now days .

coolex
08-17-2006, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I highly doubt it is possible.

I haven't looked at the specifics of each undercarriage , but I'm 99.9% sure they aren't the same ( ie . different lengths, different mounting sections , ...) .

It would probably give you more of a headache and take quite a bit of money to do it . Save the cash and put it towards a different sled with better suspension ..... sleds are going for pretty cheap now days .

thanks for you input guys, but you both said it would cost me alot of money, what is it that i would need to buy

Quad18star
08-17-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by coolex
thanks for you input guys, but you both said it would cost me alot of money, what is it that i would need to buy

Most likely nothing will line up , so you'll be spending money on cutting , welding and trying to rig it up to fit. If it's different lengths or widths , you may have to relocate heat exchangers or buy new ones . Shock lengths may be different , so alterations may be needed .

Basically you may be trying to get it to work , and screw up 2 sleds instead of just one . LOL .

Take the Yammy's motor apart . If no water got into the bottom end , you may be able to just hone , bore of even replace the sleeve and have it running with only a little bit of money spent.

01 400EXer
08-17-2006, 11:19 AM
There may be a possibility that you could swap the engine from the el tigre and put it in the exciter. Not sure, but I think there would be more a possibility of doing that then swapping suspension components, but then again maybe not.

coolex
08-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Most likely nothing will line up , so you'll be spending money on cutting , welding and trying to rig it up to fit. If it's different lengths or widths , you may have to relocate heat exchangers or buy new ones . Shock lengths may be different , so alterations may be needed .

Basically you may be trying to get it to work , and screw up 2 sleds instead of just one . LOL .

Take the Yammy's motor apart . If no water got into the bottom end , you may be able to just hone , bore of even replace the sleeve and have it running with only a little bit of money spent.

thanks yea i have awelder and can weld good, and have cutting tools, but i see wat your saying, its just that the el tigre is so old, and it has a metal track that it worn all the way down so i wont be getting any traction, except for in the grass, and water did get in the bottom end of the yamaha

400exstud
08-17-2006, 01:43 PM
Sell both and save up your money for a late 1990s ZR 500. You will me much happier and will have much more time to ride and not wrench.