PDA

View Full Version : need help with removing axle nut and also aftermarket axle nut

TRX_Thumper
08-25-2002, 06:04 PM
ok guys how can i get the big axle nut off? the wide one? i already have the skinny one backed off? i have used a break over bar and everything.....also how does the mezaros aftermarket axle nuts hold up? and will they fit my 300ex?

Bean
08-25-2002, 06:07 PM
are u turnin it the right way?? if so, get ur mom, dad, grampa, uncle, sister, and dog to sit on in and push down on a torque bar to move it, it is rusted on i bet

TRX_Thumper
08-25-2002, 06:10 PM
i'm turnin it counterclockwise......well i bought the 4 wheeler new april 20th sooo....maybe it will come off.....

crazy canadian
08-25-2002, 09:39 PM
the axle nut on my 400 wouldn't come off either!! mysticfalcon and i had a a huge wescot on it as well as a 10 foot piece of galvanized pipe as a cheeter bar on it and it didn't come off!! we got so fed up that i ended cutting the axle in two!! no more messin' around.

SANDTRAX361
08-25-2002, 11:13 PM
i might want to tell you guys that its back wards threads try getting the wrench on it and hitting it with a dead blow hammer it might come loose. you might heat it up this somtimes works.
later
grant
ps the aftermarket axle nut you refered to is so easy you will know how it works when you get it. i recmend it strongly thast the 1st thing i replaced on my 400ex.

08-26-2002, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by crazy canadian
mysticfalcon and i had a a huge wescot on it as well as a 10 foot piece of galvanized pipe as a cheeter bar on it and it didn't come off!! we got so fed up that i ended cutting the axle in two!!

And I thought I had problems..:eek:

crazy canadian
08-26-2002, 09:41 AM
we tried heating it and YES we were turning it the right way!! working in a machine shop, we often deal with left hand threads! oh well, it's off now.

TRX_Thumper
08-26-2002, 02:27 PM
well i got axle nut off......so how about mezaros axle nut? is it any good?

skemp
08-27-2002, 08:28 PM
After getting completely fed up with my stock axle nut coming loose every couple times I ride the track, I started looking for something better. I haven't heard anything but bad news from the other axle nuts out there, so I tried Meszaros' locknut. I heard it was the best thing since sliced bread. I put it on, and checked it two rides later. It was loose. I tightened it as far as I was comfortable cranking on aluminum again, and rode it a few more times. It was loose. The other day, I tightened it up again, and put some silicone in the threads, and it hasn't come loose yet, and I have put it through he!! and back. I hate using threadlocker when I don't have to because it makes taking stuff apart a pain in the *****.

I say try the Meszaros locknut. You might want to add a couple drops of threadlocker to the threads on the aluminum nut, and tighten up the two locker bolts real good. It should work for you. I just had to figure mine out.

TRX_Thumper
08-27-2002, 09:11 PM
well i ordered the mezaro's the other day....i sure hope it holds up....it better.....the bad thing is if u use threadlocker on it it doesnt have anything to grip to for like a wrench to take it off ....so i dont know what i will do if it comes loose......it hasnt came in yet

SGA
08-27-2002, 09:16 PM
I put on a meszaro lock nut awhile back. Seems to be holding up real well. Talked with him on the phone a few minutes, super nice. He also mentioned he has a pretty good supply of used honda parts.

breaks-alot
08-28-2002, 02:22 PM
How much was the nut?