PDA

View Full Version : leaking gas

GoingBig
08-16-2006, 07:04 AM
I recently put a 416 kit in my 400ex and now i noticed gas leaking out my overflow tube on the backside of the carb. I have not jetted it or anything yet. Its still a stock carb. Any suggestions on what might be causing this?

xxnightraven73x
08-16-2006, 07:10 AM
sounds like the float is sticking in your carb or you might have to adjust the float if you werent too gentile when you took your carb off let me know if you're not sure what i mean by this or dont know how to adjust it

CHEVYZ
08-16-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by xxnightraven73x
sounds like the float is sticking in your carb or you might have to adjust the float if you werent too gentile when you took your carb off let me know if you're not sure what i mean by this or dont know how to adjust it X2

NorCalRacer
08-16-2006, 11:02 PM
If you had your carburetor upside down at any point during the work you might have stuck your floats up. Try tapping the side of your carb gently with a screwdriver handle.

jsmith2232
08-18-2006, 09:34 AM
I also agree with the above posts also i wouldn't ride too much before you rejet, mine bumped up alot after i built mine what all have you done to it?

GoingBig
08-22-2006, 12:22 PM
havent done anything but the 416 kit and heavy duty head studs. Still has stock exhaust for now. If i dont rejet until i get exhaust am i doing damage?

GPracer2500
08-22-2006, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by GoingBig
havent done anything but the 416 kit and heavy duty head studs. Still has stock exhaust for now. If i dont rejet until i get exhaust am i doing damage?

Running too lean is not good.

Look at it this way: 397cc to 416cc is about a 5% change. So if displacement was the only thing that changed, then an equal change in main jet size would put you around a K155. That's just a rough estimate. If you should be running a 155 and you're running a 148, that's a big enough difference to warrant making the correction sooner rather than later. You're not likely to destroy the engine but you might accelerate wear.

GoingBig
10-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Im going to do a plug reading tomorrow and play with my jetting. i pulled my plug out tonight and it was black and wet looking so im gonna clean my air filter (k&n) and by a new plug and give it a shot. any suggestions or tips.

jonboy
10-06-2006, 10:28 PM
What does it mean when the plug is black and wet? I have seen that before on the lakota, but if I cleaned the airfilter it looked dry

NorCalRacer
10-06-2006, 11:01 PM
The plug gets black from fouling. This is either caused by running rich or oil. If the air filter is clogged, it can starve the carburetor for air making it suck excess gas without the capabilites of burning it, creating a rich mixture until the air cleaner is cleaned and the engine can breathe. On the same principle putting a higher flow air filter on a quad creates a leaner mixture.
If it is oil, there are more serious problems. Good luck.

GoingBig
10-07-2006, 11:45 AM
well I adjusted my valves last night also and this morning i did a plug check. 4th wot, kill switch and check the plug. plug looks pretty white. not much color at all. Whne i first stared it up this morning it blew out alot of white/blue smoke but then quit after a minute. motor has maybe 10-20 hours since rebuild. It has a brand new head on it. vlaves springs seals everything. I hear alot of ticking but i heard that was probably just from the stage1 hotcam.any suggestions. could a valve seal have torn? Thinking about going up to a 150 or 152 main and a 42 pilot. My ehaust is still stock for now. 3rd gear has a slight bog at first then really hits hard. forth is the same. gonna go ride for a bit and check the plug at the end of the day to see what it looks like. well any help would be great..

GoingBig
10-08-2006, 03:38 PM
bump