PDA

View Full Version : got the Fox Shox on!

blakefoote
08-16-2006, 05:04 AM
iput these on rite before i left out for Loretta Lynns and all i could do was ride them up and down the road that day to see how they felt...in practice they were incredible except the were bucking a lil bit in the rear so I changed the rebound a lil and then went out for the next practice...and then they were GREAT but were bottoming a lil in the "10 commandments" so i changed thecompression a lil and went for the races...they did great in the races and got thm home and tried them on my track that i am use to...and really dialed them in and LOVE them now...it takes alot to bottom them but they are still not perfect yet :devil:

blakefoote
08-16-2006, 05:06 AM
what do yall think...its the practice tires andrims but what are yalls thoughts about it?

Airik79mx
08-16-2006, 05:12 AM
I see you have JB arms with Fox..You need to check and see if your Evol bottle is touching the a-arm when the quad is on a stand. This is how they told me to mount mine (with the bottle facing foward)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v718/Airik79mx/fofiddy016.jpg

This is where it was hitting the a-arm...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v718/Airik79mx/FoxShox002.jpg

fandl450r
08-16-2006, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by blakefoote
iput these on rite before i left out for Loretta Lynns and all i could do was ride them up and down the road that day to see how they felt...in practice they were incredible except the were bucking a lil bit in the rear so I changed the rebound a lil and then went out for the next practice...and then they were GREAT but were bottoming a lil in the "10 commandments" so i changed thecompression a lil and went for the races...they did great in the races and got thm home and tried them on my track that i am use to...and really dialed them in and LOVE them now...it takes alot to bottom them but they are still not perfect yet :devil:

Looks awesome. Digging the Quinn Motorsports sticker! Norris send that to ya? :D I might have to give him a call and tell him to get some in the mail for me.

RayWilt
08-16-2006, 10:12 AM
what shock do you have on the back. I have the same set up on the front and on the rear i have a fox shock single rate with a gt thunder link. Ive been messing with the rear for a while and i cant get it near as good as the fronts wondering if yours is the same or not. and nice bike the way

chad502ex
08-16-2006, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by RayWilt
what shock do you have on the back. I have the same set up on the front and on the rear i have a fox shock single rate with a gt thunder link. Ive been messing with the rear for a while and i cant get it near as good as the fronts wondering if yours is the same or not. and nice bike the way

are you from Ray Wilt Honda dealer in PA? just wondering if you were that man,...

RayWilt
08-16-2006, 11:01 AM
yeah i work there harlen made the screen name for me never made a new one.

chad502ex
08-16-2006, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by RayWilt
yeah i work there harlen made the screen name for me never made a new one.

o-i-c

RayWilt
08-16-2006, 11:10 AM
why do you ask you ever up here

chad502ex
08-16-2006, 11:14 AM
yes, to ride in frackville PA area.. and i know ppl whom bought quads from your dealer

thats all...

RayWilt
08-16-2006, 11:17 AM
thats cool thought maybe i might of talked you before

blakefoote
08-16-2006, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by fandl450r
Looks awesome. Digging the Quinn Motorsports sticker! Norris send that to ya? :D I might have to give him a call and tell him to get some in the mail for me.

yah...Norris set them up hes a great guy and helped alot. he watched my race and we didnt even ask him to...he didnt even know what class i was in but he found it and watched...thats service! hes awesome and really knows his stuff;)

fandl450r
08-16-2006, 02:01 PM
Definitely! I've known norris for abour 3 or 4 years know. He is extremely intelligdent even though his shop is kind of out in the sticks lol. He has a sick CRF Laeger Hybrid, rides like a dream. Now I need to for sure get on the phone and get some stickers on their way.

bbrad mulvey
08-16-2006, 09:37 PM
ok, when you guys get the chance that have the evols, get all the air out of them and put nitrogen in the evol and the main, thats the first thing you need to do! SECOND for the rear Fox USUALLY sends too light of a spring weight in the rear. If you have the GT thunder link, let me know the last 3 numbers of the shock number on the back. It should be like xxxxxxxxxxxxx350 or xxxxxxxxxx375 or xxx400. You need to have the 350 or the 400 period. if you weight under 200 lbs then you will be fine with the 375. but if you are 190lbs and above, you need the 400.

bbrad mulvey
08-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Oh and as far as the rear spring, when you set the spring sag on it. instead of trying to get the ride height right, just make sure you spin the lock nut down so it tightens down onto the top of th spring no more than a half inch. that will be the best results. Also with the Fox suspension I did notice that you HAVE TO HAVE 20x6x10s up front, 19s will NOT work!!! Also these shocks work a MILLION times better when you have at least 9lbs of air in the front and 8 in the back. 10 in the fronts and 9 in the back seems to be the sweet spot;)

blakefoote
08-17-2006, 05:06 AM
ok im having trouble with my front shox...my back one is incredible...ok i have tha air at 140lbs in the evol and 60lbs in the main...I wiegh 196 with all of my gear on and around 175 180 w/o my total suite...and theyare still bottomingon the impacts of off jumps...I have a double double on my track be hind my house and the first double is like 10 feet and the second is like 60ft and sends you really high...andit always bottoms on th 10ft jump b/c I over shoot it a lil to makeit a lil quicker...and it bottomson the face of the bigger jump and the landing of the bigger jump...

and ive already tried all of these
42-130-bottoming
42-142-bottoming
42-145-bottoming
50-135-bottoming

Jersey450R
08-17-2006, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by bbrad mulvey
ok, when you guys get the chance that have the evols, get all the air out of them and put nitrogen in the evol and the main, thats the first thing you need to do! SECOND for the rear Fox USUALLY sends too light of a spring weight in the rear. If you have the GT thunder link, send me the last 3 numbers of the shock number on the back. It should be like xxxxxxxxxxxxx350 or xxxxxxxxxx375 or xxx400. You need to have the 350 or the 400 period. if you weight under 200 lbs then you will be fine with the 375. but if you are 190lbs and above, you need the 400.
I was the guinee pig for Fox so I can help you out if you need it as much as possible. If you call and talk to the sales guys and they kinda dont know what they are talking about, then just email me. I will help;)

with a JRD swingarm and linkage, we had to use a 200 lb. spring in the rear!

bbrad mulvey
08-17-2006, 08:13 AM
Blake you are going the wrong way with the numbers, try going with 50 abd 150. Start with that. I think they should be recomending that to EVERY ONE because that is a GREAT starting point! and let me know how that feals. Now with mine I am 2 out on my rebound(from all the way in) and about 14 out on the compression. So tell me what it does at 50 and 150 for you;)

Jersey, Im not sure about that one. now is your spring a dual rate or single rate? Because I messed with the singles. and the fox with gt thunder links. I should have specified that one I guess:p

Jersey450R
08-17-2006, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by bbrad mulvey

Jersey, Im not sure about that one. now is your spring a dual rate or single rate? Because I messed with the singles. and the fox with gt thunder links. I should have specified that one I guess:p

its a dual rate shock, but thats specifically for the JRD swingarm. we switched over to roll design with elka dual linkage and its WAYYYY too soft!

bbrad mulvey
08-17-2006, 02:16 PM
I am about 95% sure that Fox does not have a shaft/valve design for anything of Elka. Is the Roll swinger a stock mount extended length? Also they mostly set up their Rears to the link you are using. But I know that each set up is different, so, this is probably why it is too soft. One thing they told me is that I dual rate rear spring is not the greatest. It basically just "patches" and linkage system that isnt perfect. They tend to favor a single rate spring more.
John Natalie rode a dual rate spring with his Fox BUT the springs were replace almost every race because it is just too much stress on 2 of them. I personally like the dual rate, just becuase of the ZPS idea, but the downfall of that ZPS rides smoother, yet it doesnot tend to get you over a flatter jump:rolleyes: SO My main reason behind going with the Fox shox is that I weight very little(140lbs) So finding a spring weight that works to throw me over a jump is difficult. I like the Fox Shox because once they are set up right, they throw you over a jump with A TON better with less effort.

So back to Jersey I think that you may need a different rate spring. Also You may not need a dual rate either. I am pretty sure you need to ditch the link though becuase your set has no R&D behind it. I really like the GT Thunder link and the baldwin and houser the best. They seam to be the pick of links. But if you swing arm has the same measurment from the engine bolt to the shock eylet on the swinger as the stock one. then you have some options. First thing first is call fox and talk to shane, he seams to know best.

blakefoote
08-17-2006, 02:28 PM
evol-150
main-50-----bottoming

now what?

taylorman08
08-20-2006, 03:52 PM
i'm going to change my rear setup for the next season and i would like to know which one works the best with the fox podium shock... I'm thinking about walsh savior, jb dual link, gt thunder, baldwin, ...! thanks!!

bbrad mulvey
08-20-2006, 04:47 PM
Blake~ wow maybe you to mess with the compression and rebound some more. Mine dont bottom out at all, and I have flat landed off of some large tables before. Keep it at 50 and try going high on the other. Also are you shocks specific for those arms you have, becuase they do not innerchange very well with out revalving.

taylor~ the most proven set up is the gt thunder. BUT the JB dual linkage is the most travel out of ALL of them. all of the other linkagesd will get you almost 12 inches(the fox and gt thunder getr you 11 and the jb dual is 12.5 I think. I their best set up!