PDA

View Full Version : hotcam materials???

sburton1
08-15-2006, 10:51 PM
im gonna throw in a stage 1 hotcam on the 400ex and was wonderin if it came with instalation instructions? also what will i need for tools to do this job and do i need any seals or bearings? thanks guys

firefighterjosh
08-15-2006, 10:59 PM
Not to bust your bubble but I have read you will barely feel a diffrence with a stage 1 cam. I would go stage 2 personally

sburton1
08-15-2006, 11:30 PM
ya i still have a stock bore will that still work with a stage 2 setup? i was still kinda debating whitch one to get. just needed to know how to do it and what materials ou will need

firefighterjosh
08-15-2006, 11:33 PM
I belive it would work, but I will leave this up to a engine guerew

GPracer2500
08-15-2006, 11:54 PM
The HC stage one is plenty aggressive for a stock piston EX, IMO. It's significantly more aggressive than the stock cam (which is quite mild). HERE'S (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=237131) a comparison of the specs.

sburton1
08-16-2006, 04:14 AM
ya might as well wait till i up grade to a 440 kit. so what would happen if i did put it in with the stock bore??? just curious:devil:

Honda2000
08-16-2006, 07:12 PM
i have a stage 2 hotcam on my stock bore ex and i have never regretted it!!!!

wysse
08-16-2006, 08:18 PM
what about the TC National cam know any thing about that?

sburton1
08-16-2006, 10:39 PM
honda2000 did you loose a lot of low end?? and how hard was it to instal?? what all did you need and was it a good power gain for ya thanks

cole

mymastifftucker
08-17-2006, 02:01 PM
I just put the stage one in mine a couple weeks ago and dont feel a huge difference. The install was pretty simple for someone with some experience but I wouldnt try it if you are not comfortable working on your motor. It comes with directions but they are pretty vague. I found detailed instructions elsewhere onthe internet, but cant remember where. I'll send you the web site tonight.....I still have them at home.

05 ex rider
08-17-2006, 03:42 PM
i have a stage 2 in my stock bike there is a huge diffrence it power it has more low end. piston size and compression dosen't matter on cam lift and duration. stage 3 it designed for a 440 kit.

bh2285
08-17-2006, 03:58 PM
I have a stage 2 Hotcam For Sale... Its been used no more then 1 hour if that.

GPracer2500
08-17-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by 05 ex rider
...piston size and compression dosen't matter on cam lift and duration...

That statement is fundamentally wrong. Dynamic compression is closely linked to valve movement.

sburton1
08-17-2006, 05:39 PM
so do you need a press for this?? and do you need any gaskets or any thing?? thats my real question i just need to know what i need to get the job done i think im gonna use a stage 2 cam thanks guys

GPracer2500
08-17-2006, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by sburton1
so do you need a press for this?? and do you need any gaskets or any thing?? thats my real question i just need to know what i need to get the job done i think im gonna use a stage 2 cam thanks guys

Nope. Don't need a press. The new cam will come ready to drop in--you'll just need to unbolt your old cam sprocket and put it on the new cam. The valve cover and cam chain tensioner gaskets are generally reuseable (just clean them real well). I like to put a super-thin coating of gasket sealer on them--put some on and then wipe nearly all of it off. Pick up some assembly lube too...

sburton1
08-17-2006, 11:10 PM
thats the ansurei was looking for!!! finally!! you rock gpracer! what is the total intall time like 2 hours or so?? and is their any thing to look out for so i dont screw it up? ive been thinking of upgrading my cam chain to the hd as well is this an easy time to do it?

bh2285
08-18-2006, 12:31 AM
You wont need a HD chain with a stock motor. But I guess it wont hurt. Installing the chain will take a little more skill then just throwing the cam in. You have to take the clutch side case off along with the clutc h and some other nuts that you will prob need a impact for. Get a service book makes life way easy well worth the 20 bucks.

sburton1
08-18-2006, 12:54 AM
ya ive got the service manual on my home computer but i dont have acess to ir right now i heard it was kinda easy ill look into it ill need a fly wheel puller to get back their i think. dont know where to get that other than the sparks timing key mod. any one know where to get the darn fly wheel puller bolt????? yall rock by the way, because of yall ive got so many parts waitin to be installed when i get back from the desert itll take me like a week to put every thing togeather. im just trying to get every thing i need while im over here!

cole

bh2285
08-18-2006, 10:19 AM
You will not need to remove the flywheel inless you plan on installing the sparks key. The timing chain(clutch side) is on the other side of the motor. But if you do need to pull the flywheel you can get them on EBay with out buying the spraks.

flauge
08-18-2006, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by mymastifftucker
I just put the stage one in mine a couple weeks ago and dont feel a huge difference. The install was pretty simple for someone with some experience but I wouldnt try it if you are not comfortable working on your motor. It comes with directions but they are pretty vague. I found detailed instructions elsewhere onthe internet, but cant remember where. I'll send you the web site tonight.....I still have them at home. Ya, make sure you post that site up..Most of the instructions ive seen seem to miss a few steps:ermm: