PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket rear brake pedal question

Brad77
08-15-2006, 08:03 PM
I have a problem, maybe someone can help. My quad had an aftermarket brake pedal on it when I bought it. The other day I somehow lost the bolt that the brake pedal pivots on. I would like to buy a replacement if I can.

Thing is, I don't have any idea what kind of pedal it is.

I looked at a pic of a roll design and mine does not look like it. Also the roll design appeared to have the pivot bolt made on it like the stock 400ex.

redexrider
08-15-2006, 09:59 PM
what do you mean by pivot bolt made on it? My pivot bolt is completely removable, and I would think that a stock bolt would work for most any brake pedal, the pivot point mounts at the same spot, the same hole, and I would think the same width.... not positive by my 2 cents

Aztrx400
08-15-2006, 10:07 PM
I agree if the bolt is lost????

Replace it. Problem solved. Most Ace Hardwares I know of sell bolts!

Brad77
08-16-2006, 06:36 AM
This wasn't just a regular bolt that could be bought at a hardware store.

Check out part number 27. The pivot bolt or shaft is sold with the brake pedal. My aftermarket pedal was not one unit like it is here.

http://www.servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/atv/trx400ex%2099-04/step_pedal.jpg

redexrider
08-16-2006, 09:15 AM
wow, I guess mine is aftermarket too then. I never really noticed it. My bold looks like something from a hardware store though. the nut on the backside is a catle nut and has a cotter key through the bolt. It is just tight enough not to rattle, but not so tight it won't pivot. The bolt is also shanked so it doesn't have threads on the part going through the hole.

atvRiDa400ex
08-16-2006, 11:07 AM
you got a pics of what it looks like? i may be able to help

Brad77
08-16-2006, 03:59 PM
Here is the whole pedal.

Brad77
08-16-2006, 04:01 PM
Here is the only markings on it. It has Dreamer engraved in it. Sorry about the pic quality. I took these with my phone.

Aztrx400
08-20-2006, 05:53 PM
Well part number 27 is NOT a bolt but brake pedal so guess you can not get it at Ace.

Misleading info if a bolt is actually needed as stated then yes buy a new bolt, or if you actually need a brake pedal go to Honda or find a good machine shop.

Brad77
08-20-2006, 07:10 PM
When I got this quad it already had this brake lever on it. I thought that all 400ex brake pedals were made like this aftermarket one I have. This aftermarket brake pedal had a bolt with a nut that held it in place. The pedal rotated on a smooth shank made on the bolt.

I had no idea that a factory brake pedal has the pivot bolt (or shaft) was made on the pedal. I walked into the Honda shop and told them I needed a bolt for my 400ex brake pedal. They looked it up on the computer and said that it didn't have a bolt. Of course I was confused until I saw the pic on their computer.

I guess I will have to go the machine shop or either swap out to a factory pedal.