PDA

View Full Version : changing the sidecase gasket

shftmx300ex
08-15-2006, 04:59 PM
the clutch side of my engine leaks oil, accualy it sprays out when i ride..im guessing its the gasket. is this hard to change?

Sjorge450R
08-15-2006, 05:12 PM
drain oil, remove indicator wires,remove bolts, scrap old gasket off, put new one one, put it back on and torque the bolts we they are supposed to be.

bwamos
08-17-2006, 07:27 AM
^^^ what he said.

Only difficult part is getting the reverse switch lined up without the spring slipping off when putting it back on. But that's not too hard.. just a little frustrating at times.

As with any mating surface, always be sure to torque down on a cross pattern so you dont warp the cover. I like to tighten down in increments as well.

Get a Service manual. It will be your best friend for years to come. Well worth the money, and will save you a ton in the long run.

bradley300
08-17-2006, 07:44 AM
just pay attention to everything when you remove it. i had a o-ring fall out that i never noticed, and turned out that o ring went to the oil line. no o-ring, no oil pressure. i ended up replacing the entire head minus the casting itself

Trevor
08-17-2006, 08:02 AM
It's funny That this post came up because my 300ex just started to leak there this weekend.