PDA

View Full Version : few questions....

stalefish_132
08-15-2006, 02:07 PM
ok my local dealer said that i should try some royal purple 15w-40 synthetic, at first i wasn't intrested and after he kept going on and on abotu how good it was i figured i'd try it, well it seems great for a little while but once it got warmed up my clutch started slipping slightly.i rode home and changed my oil back to what i was using. went for a ride to see if it would still slip. it isn't near as bad just somtime say in 3rd you punch it and its fine untell about 3/4throttle it will start to slip so i just let off. do you think just changing my oil a few times will clear it up or what?
BTW i was running chevron delro 15-40 with no problems.

allso does anyone have any of these? #15 in the picture, i over tightend mine and it cracked. if any one has one f/s let me know before i order one from service honda.

http://www.servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/atv/trx400ex%2099-04/left_crankcase_cover.jpg

enduro400rider
08-15-2006, 02:14 PM
you dont want to switch from regular to synthetic, it will cause problems with sludge ect. make sure that the oil you used didnt have and friction protectors. your 400 has a wet clutch meaning it sits in the oil so it needs friction to "hook up" and work so if your oil prevents friction then it will slip the clutch. i would take your clutch out and check the plates to see if they need replaced. a clucth on the 400 is very easy to replace yourself. as for your part #15 i lost mine one time and ordered a new one, i beleive it was about 8 bucks from honda :grr:

stalefish_132
08-15-2006, 02:20 PM
i know all about friction modifiers and all that and. i have a hinsion HD 8 plate clutch i should have said that before, like it hasn't slipped enough to damage anything just enough that you notice its slipping and let off the thorttle. any one elsegot any idea's? before i take the clutch cover off and check the plates out??

stalefish_132
08-15-2006, 04:55 PM
can any one shed some light?:ermm:

02440exkid
08-15-2006, 05:08 PM
chang the oil a couple time it should get better cuz sum of that other stuff is prolly still in their.:cool:

stalefish_132
08-15-2006, 06:36 PM
ok i just took the clutch apart and wiped the oil off of the clutch fibers. everything looks like new. put it back together and changed my oil and everythnigh seems fine thanks guys.