PDA

View Full Version : 06 or 07 yfz 450

warrior350x
08-15-2006, 01:45 PM
well my cousin wants to buy a yfz but he has a big problem he has heard that alot of yfz brake down because of not enough oil reaching the bottom of the pistin and this causes lots of problems i have a 06 and its fine but do you think its worth buying the 07 with the oil mod its

06 $6,099
07 $6,799
he really doesnt know what to do should he pay more and be safe or risk it?

pnut420
08-15-2006, 01:57 PM
Id go with the 06. I have an 05 and its been fine. Not sure if the 06 had more of an oiling problem than the 05. Most of the stories about not enough oil gettting oil to the bottom of the piston are probably aftermarket pistons. If you keep them stock they are pretty reliable. $700 is alot of money you could do the oil mod on the 05 and still get aftermarker stuff for the motor while your at it like cam, etc...

GPracer2500
08-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Did the 07's get the oil mod? I wasn't for sure if they did. But anyhow...

There's lots of YFZs running around without the oil mod. It's good insurance but non oil-modified engines aren't exactly ticking time bombs as far as I'm concerned. Frequent oil changes goes a long way...

You could always have the oil mod done by a tuning shop if he wanted to go that route. Even if a shop did 100% of the labor (engine tear-down and reassembly) it's likely to cost less than $700 difference in price you mentioned. Just something to think about.

jshtex
08-15-2006, 08:05 PM
Yes the 07's got the mod.

Our bike (04) doesn't have the oil mod and we run stock bore and compression. Just this week I have seen damage that "might" could have been prevented if we had the oil mod. I pulled the top end to replace what i thought was a blown head gasket and discoverd that the piston pin had been gauling (sp) in the pin bore. Both the pin and the bore have some damage. This piston, pin, cyl, and rings were new in Febuary.

warrior350x
08-15-2006, 10:53 PM
thanks guys

but now its got me thinging if I should do the mod how much did it cost you guys?