PDA

View Full Version : Grips

ohsobad_chevy
08-15-2006, 12:52 PM
I just got back from a 2 day trip from the dunes. One of my grips tore, the day before leaving for the dunes, so I had to make a mad dash to the parts store to buy some new grips. The only kind he had were Renthal soft compound atv grips. I rode hard for 2 days (wearing riding gloves) and my whole hand is covered in blisters.
I have always ran medium compound grips. Do soft compund grips give you blisters easily?

What is the best grips for not giving you blisters?

bansheexcracer2
08-15-2006, 02:30 PM
oury grips are real nice. Try ridding without gloves. You will get blisters but the more you ride with blisters the less they will hurt.

400eXr1d3rZ
08-15-2006, 02:52 PM
my whole hand is a blister, i need oury's too, i am gonna check them out.

bansheexcracer2
08-15-2006, 03:13 PM
They are soft but dont were out fast.

krt400ex
08-15-2006, 06:38 PM
i like the tag medium/ soft compound. thay dont wear out easily and i don't get blisters very often at all

CannondaleRider
08-15-2006, 06:44 PM
Scott CompII Grips have worked well for me.

Also, pour some Talcum powder in your gloves. A WORCS Pro Teammate of mine does it to keep from getting blisters. He swears by it, but i've yet to try it. I guess it just keeps moisture from building up in your gloves, and keeps your gloves from gripping to your hands

CHEVYZ
08-15-2006, 06:48 PM
I love my OURY grips. I have had them forever and they are still in good shape. Best I have used so far for comfort and feel, plus they have outlasted (By far) any other grip I have had.

400exrider707
08-15-2006, 10:13 PM
I used to use OURY grips and I absolutely loved them. I never ever got blisters on those grips. The only downside is that with a larger circumference grip you get armpump easier. I switched to tag soft compounds and like them too, however I do get blisters and they wear out very fast.

krt400ex
08-16-2006, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I used to use OURY grips and I absolutely loved them. I never ever got blisters on those grips. The only downside is that with a larger circumference grip you get armpump easier. I switched to tag soft compounds and like them too, however I do get blisters and they wear out very fast.

they don't wear out fast for me. i have about 30 hrs. on them, and i'll prolly get 30 more before i need to replace them

kbass24emtp
08-16-2006, 01:13 PM
I use spider grips and they work really good.

400exrider707
08-16-2006, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
they don't wear out fast for me. i have about 30 hrs. on them, and i'll prolly get 30 more before i need to replace them

Im talking about the tag soft grips. They wear out really fast. I usually get maybe 5 races out of them. My buddy only gets about 2 out of his, I think he needs to loosen up a little.

krt400ex
08-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Im talking about the tag soft grips. They wear out really fast. I usually get maybe 5 races out of them. My buddy only gets about 2 out of his, I think he needs to loosen up a little.

i didn't know that they have soft grips. i thought the softest compound that they make was the medium/soft. that's what i have

TCSMotorsports
08-16-2006, 09:19 PM
I run ODI grips and hardly ever get blisters. They last for quite awhile too. I ran 2 hour long classes at the last WORCS race at Burnt Ridge and only had 1 small blister below my ring finger. You can get them at WWW.ODIgrips.com. Plus they clamp on so you don't have to mess with grip glue and safety wire.

adinocr7
08-17-2006, 06:28 AM
Oury Grips . . . I swear by these things. Soft compound and super comfortable. They have grooves between the treads on the grips. On top of using a bit of glue (carpet adhesive, hairspray . . . what ever your preference) wrap a piece of safety wire around each groove and they'll hold in place real well. They're only around $10.00 a pair and they absorb a considerable amount of vibration compared to stock grips.

juanki
08-17-2006, 05:07 PM
i have on my quad some grips that are used in mountain biking, the brand is called RACE FACE, they have an angel and a devil on each one, they are realy soft and big, its like they have cushion (?).

atva_63
08-17-2006, 05:57 PM
oury are great grips but they gave me arm pump becouse they are big in diameter.
I really like spider grips they will last as long or longer than oury

JW450R1
08-17-2006, 06:12 PM
spider grips work great for me

speeddemon105
08-18-2006, 01:35 PM
Man up and put some calluses on those girly hands! :D

All I run are Renthal soft compound half waffles, and I've never gotten a blister with or without gloves. All those soft and comfy grips just don't seem to grip as well.

adinocr7
08-18-2006, 02:47 PM
This is the best way to condition your hands. I call them the "Super Sandpaper Grips".

What ever grips you're using . . . take them off. Find two sheets (appx 6" x 6") of sandpaper (50 - 60 grit will do fine). Adhere the sandpaper with the gritty side up to your handlebars. Now when you ride for the first time be sure to ride "without" gloves so you can get the full effect. This will not only condition your hands and arms (you'll be getting wicked arm pump) but it will allow you to absorb the most vibration getting a better feel for your ride. If you have any particular hill climb or challenging GNCC Track within traveling distance that would be a good place to start. You'll want a trail or track that will provide several good table tops allowing you to land rather hard from around 12' to 15' feet in the air. Something that will force your hands to really wrench down on the new "sandpaper" grips. The hands will most likely be a little bloody after an hour or so. Plan on loosing 80 - 90% of your hands mobility and dexterity for at least 1 - 2 weeks.

Now I've never actually done this. But if you want a real hard core training regimen that will keep you from whining and looking effeminate in front of your friends, this is the ticket!

JW450R1
08-18-2006, 04:18 PM
wow i'm going to try that.u really sound like u know what your doing.maybe u should be a pro or something,or better yet why don't u invent it. 1-800-inventers.wow i can't beleived all of our grips problems are going to be fix.:eek2:

exrider008
08-18-2006, 04:30 PM
i have renthal soft grips and they r by FAR the worst grip i have ever used. i had a pair of orys and i loved them, they were so rubbery they took away some vibration and i never got blisters.

i would deff get the orys u wont find a better grip IMO.

JW450R1
08-18-2006, 05:23 PM
some say if u got blisters u rode hard enough

krt400ex
08-18-2006, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by JW450R1
some say if u got blisters u rode hard enough

x2. i always ride hard and after a while u will get callasses(not the best spelling, sry) and won't ahve to worry about blisters anymore

exrider008
08-18-2006, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
x2. i always ride hard and after a while u will get callasses(not the best spelling, sry) and won't ahve to worry about blisters anymore

thats right...my hands r pritty much pure callase(sp?) and i never get blisters anymore.

ohsobad_chevy
08-18-2006, 07:31 PM
Yeah....I have renthal soft comounds right now...my hands are completely callused and I hardly every get blisters, thats why I made this thread, to see what other people are using. I think I will try some Oury grips next! :cool:

exrider008
08-18-2006, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by ohsobad_chevy
Yeah....I have renthal soft comounds right now...my hands are completely callused and I hardly every get blisters, thats why I made this thread, to see what other people are using. I think I will try some Oury grips next! :cool:

u will be very happy with the orys.;)

trx400exxracer
08-18-2006, 09:59 PM
I dont really get blisters anymore even with the crappy spider's

Spiders suck i tried them to see what all the hype was about and they suck

i say either get Tag or oury's

I am fixing to ditch the spiders and put tags on and then go back to the oury's wich are the shiznit

so get oury's or TAG:D