PDA

View Full Version : Big problem with 2006 450r

o645oRider
08-15-2006, 08:27 AM
I bought a brand new 2006 TRX450er in may of 2006. AFter that i put about 4 hours on it before i had my dealership install an HRC kit and a CF ballance exhaust for my bike.

After the hrc kit install, i put about 10 good solid hours on it with no problems, and i was as happy as could be, it was super fast, and preformed PERFECTLY, never had a problem starting hot or cold, allways ran perfect.

Well 2 weeks ago, i went riding at silver lake sand dunes, in MI, and about 30min into my ride i shut the quad off to watch some crazies jump the dunes in their sand rail, i had it shut off for approx 15min, and when i went to start it again it woudl not fire up. it would crank and crank fine, but woudl not fire. I had to get it towed back to the truck ware i noticed my spark plug was bone dry and not even damp a bit......well knowing it was still under warranty i took it to the dealer ware i bought the quad.

They had it for a week, and couldnt figure anything out....then finally one day they tried towing it behind another quad and trying to jump start it, and it fired up....and ran fine for them for teh remainder of the day and week. So i took the quad back from them, took it out for soem rides at my house and it was fine, no problems, and was running like normal, great.

so i went again to leave last weekend for a riding trip, and i pull the quad off teh trailer, shut it off, get all my riding gear on, go to fire it up again, and nothing ..........again........will crank fine, but not fireing. I took it to the dealer again, but they said they have no idea what is wrong with it, and have no ideas at all.

has anyone heard of this problem? anyone experinced it? is there something i can tell them to look at to help them diagnoss this....im worried my warranty will exprire and i will still be stuck with these problems......but right now its pretty much useless for me to have a quad because its been in the shop each weekend because it wont run......WTF is wrong with it?

sorry for the long post, but im just angry with the whole situation.

MX MaNiAc 06
08-15-2006, 08:53 AM
Mine did the exact same thing. I took it to the dealer n they said my valves needed adjusted. The only problem is it isnt covered under warranty.:ermm:

Knarf0486
08-15-2006, 09:25 AM
I've heard of several other 06's having starting problems. what ive heard is that once you start to put mods on them like cams and exhaust is when they start to experience problems. I havent encountered this yet cause mine is still stock, motor wise. I heard its cause the battery isn't pumping out the juice needed to fire it up, with the new mods. I can defiantely understand why you'd be angrivated.

o645oRider
08-15-2006, 09:36 AM
yea, the battery has completely died on me on 3 seperate occasions, and its not because im just cranking relentlessly on the e-start, it just dies after three 5 second attempts.

and i also understand that nothing is perfect, and quads are going to need maintanice and work to keep them running properly, but i just feel that this is alittle rediculous, i mean, it has installed on it a HONDA hrc kit, and it was installed by my authorised honda service tech......but they cant keep the bike running now.

idk, im just pissed.

I just dont want to keep having this problem every time i go riding , and have to take it to the dealer to try to get them to accidently fix it each time. is there any sort of lemon law on these quads or quads in general? how does it work? I feel like i may have gotten a lemon, or my dealer installd the kit wrong and istn adjusting properly everything.

what can i do?

450ERRRRRR!
08-15-2006, 11:05 AM
Document everything! Call honda and regester a complaint and ask about a replacement. Start asking the dealer now just how many times do you have to bring it in before you get a new one. Also mention you going to file a consumer complaint with Your states Attorney General Office. Play hard ball with them. Remember the Sqeakie wheel get Greased! Get mad as hell, and red faced in front of other customers. Dont be nice about it!!
Your pissed and I'm pissed well lets get your dealer pissed too!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

o645oRider
08-15-2006, 11:44 AM
yea, ive allready made it very very clean to my dealer and their service dept, that im not happy at all. And that they have literally runied 3 of my most important riding weekends i can take.

Ive kept all my documentation from each time ive had the quad in their shop to get "fixed"

thanks for your info.

anyone else.....?

taylor

GPracer2500
08-15-2006, 12:01 PM
I'd try and figure out what the problem is with the quad. The dealer is obviously clueless so I wouldn't put much stock in their diagnosis (or lack of diagnosis).

When it doesn't start is it cranking normally (i.e. full speed)? Is the plug sparking? Is there fuel in the float bowl? Have the valves been adjusted?

If your not prepared to get to the bottom of it yourself then maybe take it to another dealer....

Colby@C&DRacing
08-15-2006, 12:01 PM
I would make sure the valves are adjusted accordingly and make sure the decompression is set correct

DPR250R
08-15-2006, 12:02 PM
I can't offer any legal advice... that is something you would have to research on your own...

There are a couple things to check though...

Make sure your carb and air filter are clean....

Check your valves to make sure they are fine... (usually when valves tighten up they DO NOT cause an intermttent problem like you are describing)

Then move on to your carb... take down your carb low circuit settings (fuel screw and pilot) make small adjustments in either direction and take notice on any changes....

If you can...try and duplicate the problem... get it NOT TO START... and while it is happening check for spark and go over your electrical system.... it could be your coil or stator is malfunctioning after your quad hits a certain temperature....

These are just a couple basics to check out... hopefully you will get lucky and solve the problem....

Only other thing I can think of is that some of the older CRF450's were getting metal flakes in the stator and intermittently not starting....

o645oRider
08-15-2006, 12:05 PM
I do know a few things about the problem ....

it IS getting spark
it IS cranking at full speed for the first few bursts, then it dies off quickly, very quickly.
There IS deffinentally fuel in the float bowl also.
The air filter is clean, and properly lubed

I have the same problem, with it being able to crank over, but not start regardless of if the quad is warm, hot or cold. It wont start at all. The only thing that freed it up last time, is that the dealer said he towed it behind another quad and got it to fire up after a while doing that......

Im leaning towards a few things:

something wrong with the auto decompression
or something wrong with the valves?

my dealer service mechanic told me that the valves are dead on, and that is not the problem......but thats also just what HE says.

thanks for the replies everyone.

taylor

Prey
08-15-2006, 12:07 PM
if it happens to you again, try quickly feathering the throttle on and off to about 1/16th - 1/8th throttle (just very light throttle) while it is turning over, i have similiar mods as you except sparks pipe/filter and a boysen quick shot.

when i shut down when hot or if i stall in a race, it wont start unless i am pumping the throttle a little bit, it will always start up in about 10-12 revolutions and when i am letting off the throttle (during feathering)

after hearing you say the plug is dry, maybe it has something to do with the feathering and the accel pump

o645oRider
08-15-2006, 12:12 PM
^^^^

ive tired both:

keeping completely OFF the throtle and letting it try to start that way...and i have also tried just the o-so-slightest amount of throtle to maybee help it along....neither will help it out, or get it to start, or even fire.

taylor

Abrannan19
08-15-2006, 12:17 PM
have you tried starting it with a battery charger on it..?just a thought. A total of 3-5second starts should not kill a battery.

o645oRider
08-15-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Abrannan19
have you tried starting it with a battery charger on it..?just a thought. A total of 3-5second starts should not kill a battery.

yep, ive deffinentally tried putting the charger on it while i start it, hoping it would give me enough juice to start itup right quick, but had no success with that either.

taylor

Dave400ex
08-15-2006, 01:26 PM
Mine won't start when it's hot, but it always sooner or later starts and I haven't had the battery die yet. It seems the dealers haven't been much of a help with these starting issues.

DPR250R
08-15-2006, 01:27 PM
One other thought...

Bike carbs have a hot start because sometimes when hot the CRF450 needs a "breath of fresh cool air and less fuel" to get going again....

I have a 2005 CRF450 and it can be tough to start at times when hot... then I grab the hotstart lever and kick with no gas and she starts right up....

Maybe try leaning out your pilot or fuel screw... maybe try cranking with the fuel turned off....

o645oRider
08-15-2006, 01:32 PM
not to sound like a know it all on this at all.... but ive literally tried all the suggesgions in this thread allready, or my dealer has.

still no luck

taylor

Duke450r
08-15-2006, 01:38 PM
I have a 05, so I haven't had this problem, but out of curiosity, have you tried to bump start or pull it with another quad? Just wondered if it would start without the starter.

o645oRider
08-15-2006, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Duke450r
I have a 05, so I haven't had this problem, but out of curiosity, have you tried to bump start or pull it with another quad? Just wondered if it would start without the starter.

YES

as i stated previously, thats the only way that the dealer can get it to start running for me again, and they tow it behind a another vehicle, for a LONG time around the parking lot, and it will eventually fire up.....but like i also said before, it wont stay running for long, after a few short rides it will turn off and not run again.

Duke450r
08-15-2006, 01:49 PM
I agree with the others that have suggested a potential valve and/or decompressor adjustment problem.

ckasper18
08-15-2006, 02:56 PM
With the HRC kit it comes with a little tool to adjust your accelerator pump if te plug is bone dri give yhe pump a little more fuel if that dont work try a little less fuel to bad your not closer to my shop we have been a honda dealership for 46 years i know for a fact we can fix it...............

st8jacket
08-15-2006, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Abrannan19
yeah,that sounds like atleast one thing known to be wrong...tell your dealer to replace it..and see what happens..

tltcracing
08-15-2006, 04:18 PM
i want to point out two interesting things that i saw so far. 1. the spark plug is dry, indicating to me that its not getting enough fuel. 2. the battery goes dead quickly, mening that there is a prob with the elecrical system. i am no mechanic but with the number of hours you have on your R makes me think that something is wrong with both. the plug should have some color on it and there is no reason why the battery should go dead at all. try seeing if you can feel air coming out of the pipe when you try and start it. i think you should also check the entire elecrical system. your dealer just might not know what they are doing with the elecronics. but then what do i know thats just what i saw.

DPR250R
08-15-2006, 04:38 PM
Have you checked the cam timing?

o645oRider
08-15-2006, 04:48 PM
No, i havent checked the cam timing, mainly because thats what i paid my certified honda mechanic to do when he installd the HRC kit, i couldnt tear into it because i wouldnt know what i was looking for at all.

when i crank it, i do feel pressure coming out of the exhaust, in bursts, not constant.

I would check over the electrical system and everything, but i feel that if my cert. mechanic dosent see it, im sure as hell not going to.

I placed a call into honda corp today, and explained to them whats going on, they are calling the dealer tommorrow and toutching base with them and seeing what is going on and how to resolve it.

i will keep everyone updated and posted.

taylor

ckasper18
08-15-2006, 06:17 PM
Hey Taylor where in Michigan do you live.

o645oRider
08-15-2006, 07:10 PM
in the Midland / Saginaw area.

taylor

ckasper18
08-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Ilive 30 miles south of Green Bay if you have problems with your dealerships let me know your welcome to spend a night at my house and i gaurentee you your quad will be fixed.I am heading to Englistown NJ for the WPSA race tommorow afternoon i head up to silver lake at least twice a year before heading to Glamis for thanksgiving so maybe we could hook up and ride.sometime let me know about your progress on your quad its probably a easy fix just got my 06 off the dyno installed a boyessen quick shot with hrc kit and a rossier pipe 49.7 horsepower at the rear wheels..................

Over-land 450r
08-15-2006, 07:34 PM
turn up the idle see if that helps. if not give it just a little bit of constant gas less the 1/8. see if that works.

baker250r
08-15-2006, 07:43 PM
i hate to say this... but its easy to hide behind that "certefied mechanic" thing. i know for one im a certified diesel technician. and there is still alot i do not know. electircal stuff just makes me cringe. and as far as the dealership mechanics. alot of them know how to fix a STOCK bike. but when u get into performance parts, their expertiece drops quickly. try a local engine builder, maybe they will have a better understanding of your machine. if not, chris is a good guy to have work on your machine... ive seen his daughter race at our series. and i know that 450 of hers is pumping power, and he knows wut he is doing.

KrazyKeith
08-16-2006, 07:36 AM
Just keep calling Honda. Tell them how dissapointed you are with the machine and everybody told you to buy a Yam or Suz and now you think you should have. Tell them you spent all this money and can't ride and your really pissed off and will probbly never buy another Honda if they don't fix this NOW. Honda is pretty hard on their dealers. They do want the machine fixed and they want you happy. I had some issues and the dealer told me my machine would be done in 2 weeks I called Honda and told them I had a vacation planned and needed it by the weekend. They got in touch with the dealer and I had it back in 3 days. Honda has called me 4 times since to make sure I was happy and my quad was working good. Good luck.

organiz3d_chaos
08-16-2006, 07:54 AM
Im having similar problems with a stock 06.... had it for a month...I put in a complant on my local dealer once and the guy said nothing they could do expcept put in the complant... They are susposed to get the parts for the start any time, I doubt it fixes it though.

my thread:http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=245666&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

atvwdsrcer
08-17-2006, 08:24 PM
I've had this same problem with mine when I put in a stage 1 hot cam. First turn your idle wide open( you can adjust it slower after it starts) then either you or your mechanic need to open the decompressor valve alittle more than what spec calls for( not much , just alittle). Put it on a charger and start it. Of course while your mech is there have him make sure that the cam is timed properly/ lined up. and recheck the valve lash( use your feeler gauges loose not tight). Good luck

450ERRRRRR!
08-18-2006, 06:50 AM
I would even ask the dealer for the phone number to honda's complaint line, just to ruffel his feathers before they do. You shouldnt have to pay that much money for something you cant use! Dont be a nice guy anymore:grr: :mad: :grr: :mad:

Brademay
08-18-2006, 11:17 AM
just a suggestion but i've had several quads start up and run for a few minutes and then just shut down. maybe and hour later it will do the same thing, i could pull it off and it would crank, turned out to be a bad stator, this happend on 250rs, haven't heard of a 450r doing it yet , but it sounds a lot like it. not much you could do other than what i did is go through to electrical system staring with the stator, but i would not touch it if under warrenty b/c they will void it if you say i did something to it.Just a suggestion.

BLEEDRED
08-18-2006, 12:25 PM
On my '06 I have to turn the idol down to get it to start when it's cold and then turn it up pretty high to get it started when it's warm. It's a strange concept to me, but at this point it has been working fine. I'm talking several turns of the idol adjustor nob. Give it a try.

Once you get it running turn the idol up pretty high...once it levels out and is warm you can back it down a bit. But keep it high for the hot starts. When it's cold, turn it back down. Good luck!!

baker250r
08-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by BLEEDRED
On my '06 I have to turn the idol down to get it to start when it's cold and then turn it up pretty high to get it started when it's warm. It's a strange concept to me, but at this point it has been working fine. I'm talking several turns of the idol adjustor nob. Give it a try.

Once you get it running turn the idol up pretty high...once it levels out and is warm you can back it down a bit. But keep it high for the hot starts. When it's cold, turn it back down. Good luck!!

not somethin u wanna have to do when ur in the middle of a race.... fiddle with the idle

BLEEDRED
08-18-2006, 12:29 PM
That is a fact. Question: Do you warm your bike up before the race?

st8jacket
08-18-2006, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by BLEEDRED

you Dont need to do this...Your only band aiding the problem....It will cold start and hot start with no problems if you get it right...just takes a lil bit of tweeking..

ChrisSekerak
08-19-2006, 06:51 PM
I had the same problem about 2 months ago, put the hrc kit in, rode for about 10 hours or so.
One day went to start, nothing.
Charged battery, still nothing. Jump started it, fired right up, but after it shut off I could not get it started.

Took it to Honda, told me decompression valve was .001 out of adjustment and that was issue, they adjusted that and still nothing.
Finally found the decompression spring to be broke.

I argued with the dealer and even Honda reps, problem not covered under warranty because of install of HRC kit, which is bull****.

HRC kit, made by honda should be backed by honda.
I paid 190 to have the valves adjusted and spring put in, will never take back to the dealer again no matter what the issue.

Honda's customer service is about the worst I've seen.

Dave400ex
08-20-2006, 11:29 AM
I picked mine up from the dealer yesterday. They replaced the starter clutch and idler gear. They said some teeth were missing! :eek2:

organiz3d_chaos
08-21-2006, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
I picked mine up from the dealer yesterday. They replaced the starter clutch and idler gear. They said some teeth were missing! :eek2:

Got mine back on Friday and it was the same thing ;)

macatack
08-22-2006, 06:54 PM
this may sound crazy but i had a similar problem with a big bear i know not the same thing but still same problem!? the big bear would start with the pullrope but not with the electric start i messed with it for days could find no problems. oh but i fixed it it was the pickup coil on the flywheel i do know that the 450r 04-05 does have a problem with the stator and the idle air screw does need some fine tuning on the 06 fcr carb i had to adjust one saturday night just my 2 cents i do own a shop bakers performance atv

08-22-2006, 08:50 PM
u guys realy sound like u know what your talking about, with the decomp. and everything, but have you thought about vaper lock or fuel line/vent tube being blocked????????? i read u said u have fuel in the bowl but maybe only a little:confused: good luck;)

baker250r
08-22-2006, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by 911
u guys realy sound like u know what your talking about, with the decomp. and everything, but have you thought about vaper lock or fuel line/vent tube being blocked????????? i read u said u have fuel in the bowl but maybe only a little:confused: good luck;)

were always open to suggestions... have u found this to be a problem?

dee
09-04-2006, 09:36 AM
What has been the outcome of your quad? I have two o6 one has been modified and the other hasnn't. The stock one has had this problem, since I got it. The modified one just did it after a year of riding. Both have to be pulled to get them to start.

GPracer2500
09-04-2006, 01:16 PM
Link to pics of the problem (http://www.*******.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1588)

Supercup
09-04-2006, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the Link GPRacer2500, I have an 2006 that is highly modded and electric start. I have tried a lot of things to address the problem. Now I have a specific hot start program, turn off the gas when I stop, don't let anyone touch the throttle. Most of the time that works and it starts, then I turn the gas on and am off. When that doesn't work I carry a tow line (that always works first time). But I would like to solve it, so will try the fix and see what happens.

I sure wished I had a hot start lever. Does anyone make a kit for an electric start 2006 yet?

JCM

Dave400ex
09-04-2006, 04:10 PM
So basically they are saying replacing the sprag bearing might need to be a common thing? I didn't really see any "mod", just replacing parts. Can you explain this GPRacer?

Also my problem is the same as Supercup's, it just won't start when it's hot. I've never had to pull start it or anything, sooner or later it will start, just takes way to long. The dealer replaced my starter clutch and idler gear, but not the sprag. Surely if there was wear they would have replaced it. I don't know what to do. It's frustrating having it die during a race and having to get out of the way because it takes a minute or two before it will start...

GPracer2500
09-04-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm not an expert on the 450er starting issues. I have some ideas about it but nothing worth passing on to others. There's no "mod" that I'm aware of. What I will add is this:

I took a look at the 06/07 parts fische for the 450er; specifically the parts related to the starter. I zeroed in on these three items:

28125-MEY-671 Clutch, One-Way
28127-MS2-612 Ring, Friction
91012-PN6-701 Bearing, Needle 31x36x18.5

I bolded the part of those numbers that caught my eye. My understanding is that Honda part numbers typically end in a 0. When a part gets a revision or a new supplier then that digit changes to a 1. When the same part changes again it goes to a two and so on. Sometimes the parts' specifications don't actually change at all, they just get new suppliers. You'll see that alot for o-rings and bolts and stuff like that. Other times they'll actually change the part to fix a problem. Looks to me like those parts (some of the same items some folks have been replacing) might have been "sub-standard" parts in some way. Who knows....I'll leave it up to yourselves to draw conclusions.

I'm only speculating about all of that--like I said, I'm not an expert.

Regarding the hot start feature for the 450er's FCR carb--I don't think there's a way to add one. At least not easily. AFAIK the spot where the hot-start mechanism would go is cast over on the 450er's FCR. I wish Honda had just spec'ed the carb with a plug in that spot and provided a hot-start accessory that could be easily added (like another not to be named quad has as an option). It's too bad because without a robust starting system these engines don't like to start when hot. You can aleviate that by leaning out the pilot circuit but then your pilot circuit is too lean. Compromise is probably the key here.

Dmtrx450r18
09-04-2006, 08:52 PM
i experienced this, trwice,

1st it was a low battery, not dead but very low

second it was a blown fuse, so check them out too,, lemme know how that goes

GIXXER1KR
09-04-2006, 09:21 PM
I am wondering if it has anything to do with the TPS switch in the throttle.I had a few instances and a few burps or snaps of the throttle and shes fine??????????

MooseBuilt
09-05-2006, 05:06 AM
the starter clutch hangs up in it making it very hard if not immpossible to start. towing it being a truck breaks the starter clutch loose and then it starts.

when it was trying to start it sounded like gears were mashing, that's the backlash on the starter clutch overdriving the starter motor

ChrisSekerak
09-05-2006, 07:16 AM
I own a 2006 450er with the hrc kit installed as well as a few other intake and small mods.

Pulling your bike to get it started is flat out stupid. I would only recommend this if you were out in the middle of no where and it was the ONLY way to get your bike back, but other than that like you said, it burns up the starter clutch!@!!!

There is no need for a hot start on the ER. After riding for hours on trails, all I do is push the start button and mine fires right up. I do know that a lot of people think they need to pump the throttle a few times to get gas into the carb, but this is NOT the case.

By pumping the throttle, this will only take longer to get the bike started in my experiences.

Just my opinion.

300excrazy98
09-05-2006, 11:31 AM
I would just put all the stock stuff back on your bike bring it to your dealer, and say ur there to pick up your new quad, and dont leave until you work something out with them

Brademay
09-11-2006, 10:52 AM
you may have checked it but there is a vent tube off the carb that sticks in the plastic cover under the gas tank if it gets stopped up it will run just a little and die and will not crank .just another sugg.

Coolidge
09-12-2006, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by MooseBuilt
the starter clutch hangs up in it making it very hard if not immpossible to start. towing it being a truck breaks the starter clutch loose and then it starts.

when it was trying to start it sounded like gears were mashing, that's the backlash on the starter clutch overdriving the starter motor

sounds like my bike
...OK, I too have a 06 er wHRC kit, etc. Labor day weekend, mine did same thing. My situation sounds like what MooseRacing described. (I installed my kit). I was in the desert, bike ran incredible, then I went to start, in gear w/clutch pulled in. Made a strange noise, then never started again that day. Im in the desert, 1st day of our holiday weekend, and Im taking my carb off (several times)...not good. I had my service manual, but no elec checking tools. Had fuel, compression, motor cranks (but still sounds 'weird') I check my TPS switches etc. My Wife even went to p/up a new $park plug for me (nice!). Checked EVERYTHING listed in this thread and service manual 2x, but still NADA. Anyways, next morn, my buddy shows up. He has a 06 er, he just picked up from dealer DAY BEFORE who R&R'd his starter. So, he towed me, I tried to pop-it in 3rd, the starter/motor made some terrible noises, then started up. I rode around to warm it up, shut it off, and it has started everytime since. However, I am worried I have an impendind starter failure in my future. What should I be checking? ( I do have a Honda serv manual). Great info here, Thx all.

Abrannan19
09-12-2006, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by ChrisSekerak
I own a 2006 450er with the hrc kit installed as well as a few other intake and small mods.

Pulling your bike to get it started is flat out stupid. I would only recommend this if you were out in the middle of no where and it was the ONLY way to get your bike back, but other than that like you said, it burns up the starter clutch!@!!!

There is no need for a hot start on the ER. After riding for hours on trails, all I do is push the start button and mine fires right up. I do know that a lot of people think they need to pump the throttle a few times to get gas into the carb, but this is NOT the case.

By pumping the throttle, this will only take longer to get the bike started in my experiences.

Just my opinion.

man..i tried that yesterday day and wow..pulled the choke out hit the start and it fired right up..tried it several time within and hour or and made a big difference..fired almost immediately instead of turning over and trying to start a couple of times..thanks for the tip.

Dave400ex
09-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Coolidge my guess would be to check the starter clutch. You will have to pull the right side (tranny) crankcase cover off to see it.

BSTURDIVANT
09-18-2006, 08:10 PM
Starter one way clutch is bad when the starter spins and either won't turn the engine or skips (making weird clanging noises).
We have seen a few issues with bad stators and CDIs, but usually ends up being a weak battery or tight valves.
When cold, give it a couple quicks pumps of throttle with the choke on- when hot you have to wait a while without cranking while you hold the throttle about half open! then close throttle and hit starter.

TWISTED
09-18-2006, 08:44 PM
You guys have me scared as SH#T!!!! i just bought an 07 and the HRC kit along with Baldwin exhaust is being installed now!!!! I bought my first 450R in Feb of 04. I never, I repeat never had a problem with that machine. I did all the required maintenance according to Honda. I hope I don't regret this purchase. I called every dealer in Va, Md, WV, and Pa looking for a kicker and no one had one. I hope I don't regret not waiting til Nov for a kickstart..........

450ERRRRRR!
09-19-2006, 07:37 AM
Dont freak out now. I dont want to jinx myself but I got to say I've got an 06 e-start and have never,never, never had one issuie with it starting hot or cold. I hope I dont bring myself some bad luck now!

organiz3d_chaos
09-19-2006, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by TWISTED
You guys have me scared as SH#T!!!! i just bought an 07 and the HRC kit along with Baldwin exhaust is being installed now!!!! I bought my first 450R in Feb of 04. I never, I repeat never had a problem with that machine. I did all the required maintenance according to Honda. I hope I don't regret this purchase. I called every dealer in Va, Md, WV, and Pa looking for a kicker and no one had one. I hope I don't regret not waiting til Nov for a kickstart..........

thats what the warranty is for:ermm:

the Z Man
01-09-2007, 11:12 AM
In the starting issue, I found that raising the pilot to a 45 made a huge difference!!!

450ERRRRRR!
01-09-2007, 12:56 PM
I tried a 45 and 48 pilot and found both were way to rich and went back to stock and it starts like a fresh $%^* fox in a forest fire!!

ricks450
01-09-2007, 08:47 PM
question have you tried to take off your air filter and stick your hand over the intake to choke it that way? some times it just needs alittle help. and also have you tried to start it when holding the throttle wide open by opening throttle slowly so it dosent pump fuel in the cylinder. sometimes that works. and your battery is bad. you need a new one if you charged it and it dies in that mount off time. most of the time when a battery completly discharges it will not hold a charge after that in the winter when its cold. and a richer motor starts easier then a lean motor. so you might need to go up in your jets alittle. i dont think it haves anything to do with your starter. because it turns over fine from what you say. and your valves have to be way out of adjustment to cause it not to run. i really think your mechanic is got your valves right i hope so. question does your bike pop when you let off the throttle while you are ridin it? i personaly think you have a fuel problem. question after your ridin and its running fine and you shut it off and it dosent start. like it does. when you let it cool off does it start up? if it doesnt start after you let it cool off your coil and pulse modulator and (ICM) is fine so thats not your problem. i really think you need to richin it up alittle. they run these bikes alittle on the lean side because of emission. the guys at the place you take it to probably put the jets that can in the HRC kit. every engine is differant so i would tell them to try alittle bit bigger jets and see what it does. its actually better run your motor alittle bit on the rich side. because it keeps the cylinder temperature down causing your parts not to wear out as fast and it starts easier . alot of people on this forum are going to tell me that im stupid but ive built alot of motors, all kinds and seen what rich motors look like after they need rebuilt and aswell as lean motors. ive been mechanic my whole life. i grew up building hotrods. im not the best. but i know alot of **** . :D

4ABURN
01-10-2007, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by the Z Man
In the starting issue, I found that raising the pilot to a 45 made a huge difference!!!
Same for me I am in canada and the temp changes alot cold one morrning warm the next. If real cold 3 to 5 pumps with choke and it will start.it might stall,if it does then 2 to 3 pumps and we are good to go. warm morrnings 1 pump choke and Iam off. this is with a 45 pilot. stock just made every starting situation harder. I have no HRC kit yet........Soon.no lid 160 main CRF needle. Just my 2 cents. PS Had my 06 er for over 1 year no starting problems.and I do keep my battery on a battery tender ... My 2 cents....:D

lumi
01-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by 450ERRRRRR!
Dont freak out now. I dont want to jinx myself but I got to say I've got an 06 e-start and have never,never, never had one issuie with it starting hot or cold. I hope I dont bring myself some bad luck now!

same here. :) fingers are crossed.

-lumi