PDA

View Full Version : Truck Bed

Rico400
08-15-2006, 01:24 AM
hey guys, we just got a new f-150 with a 5ft bed, so everyone with a quad knows thats about a 1ft to short to throw a quad in the back of the bed:mad:

i know i could just tie it down, and i will no matter what. but i usually have a gascan in the back along with gear and stuff, and i dont want all this stuff to fly out the back or have to tie it down.

ive seen things where u put the tailgate down and its got like a roll bar looking thing for the tail gate, anyone know what im talking about? if so are these things permanent or can i take it on and off really fast? for

1 i would need to take it off to get the quad in the back, and for

2 i actually think they are ugly and i do not want to have to have attached to the truck all the time.

can anyone help me with this?

firefighterjosh
08-15-2006, 01:38 AM
They also make those net looking things. You can get them extra strectchy too. They are also very easy to take off and on. I had one of my dodge dakota. There not that strong so you would have to tie down your quad. If your quad would roll back hard enough it could break it.

MoToX199
08-15-2006, 04:22 AM
Is this what you are looking for?

Hornbreaker
08-15-2006, 09:42 AM
First off you should have gotten a bigger bed. LOL. But you didn't, The thing your looking for is called Bed-X-Tender they run about $250.00. You could try Stylin Concepts or Pep-boys. In the new Stylin Concepts catolog I see something new called Ready Ramp it doubles as a bed extender they run about $300.00. Have you givin any thought to a trailer or maybe a rack that fits over your bed that you can put your quad on top and your stuff in the bed. Good Luck!

Hornbreaker
08-15-2006, 09:44 AM
First off you should have gotten a bigger bed. LOL. But you didn't, The thing your looking for is called Bed-X-Tender they run about $250.00. You could try Stylin Concepts or Pep-boys. In the new Stylin Concepts catolog I see something new called Ready Ramp it doubles as a bed extender they run about $300.00. Have you givin any thought to a trailer or maybe a rack that fits over your bed that you can put your quad on top and your stuff in the bed. I forgot they do come off easy. Good Luck!

miller821
08-15-2006, 10:32 AM
I'd just use two straps, put it in gear and tie her down. Put your gear in between the gaps.

gbcap
08-15-2006, 10:36 AM
This might be one way you can go. looks like a pretty slick idea to me. i personally would have one built to more suit your needs for one quad with space under it. plus it doesn't lookl ike they have one for a short bed like yours. and it would be cheaper.

https://www.easymobilityco.com/ultimate_rack.htm

here is the link to an extender

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/bedextender.htm

you can prolly go to any local store and pick one up. no shipping that way either.

you can also start standing your quad up on end in the truck. this would leave about 2 ft to put your gear and spares and whatnot in the back. (just remember to turn off your gas)

Rico400
08-15-2006, 12:28 PM
well we got a 20' enclosed, and i dont wanna have to drive that to haul 1 quad.

and another thing is that its a 4 door, so they only got 1 bed size ;)... and yes the picture with the rollbar is the thing i was looking for.

YFZ450Ridr
08-15-2006, 01:36 PM
my uncle and i made this up for my truck a few weeks ago. i love the thing it works so well for me. only cost me 30 bucks instead of 300 for a new one.

MotoX3
08-15-2006, 02:00 PM
I leave my tailgate down with the bike and ramps, coolers, gas can, boots and all that in the back...just tuck it on good....I just put my gear in the cab but you could just put it in a bag or something, shouldn't blow out:cool:

Rico400
08-15-2006, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by YFZ450Ridr
my uncle and i made this up for my truck a few weeks ago. i love the thing it works so well for me. only cost me 30 bucks instead of 300 for a new one.

how easy is it to take in and out? how about how long of a time does it take to take out?, cuz i know a guy that could probably fab something like that up for me.

ShiftFMX
08-15-2006, 02:54 PM
Problems Solved...

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/3384/upgi6.jpg

JForestZ34
08-15-2006, 06:06 PM
I have a F-150 with the 5.5ft bed. I also have the bed extender and it fits real good with that with enought room to get your stuff in the back also. You don't have to have the extender in all the time when the tailgate is up you can't get the extender out. The tailgate has to be down to get the thing out. I think it works really good.

James

LTandRaptorider
08-15-2006, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by ride hard man
I'd just use two straps, put it in gear and tie her down. Put your gear in between the gaps.

NOT a good idea to haul a quad with it in gear. If the quad rocks back and forth while in gear, not good on the tranny components. ;)

ShiftFMX... Holy chit! :eek2: :p

firefighterjosh
08-15-2006, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
NOT a good idea to haul a quad with it in gear. If the quad rocks back and forth while in gear, not good on the tranny components. ;)

ShiftFMX... Holy chit! :eek2: :p

:muscle: I agree...Never haul your quad in gear.

stalefish_132
08-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider

how much do you think its going to rock back and fourth?and if its tied down its not going to be rocking back and forth. puting in 1st won't hurt anything and even if there was a slight chance that somthing could go wrong in the tranny i'd rather than than my quad rolling out of the box in case the straps came undone.
:eek2:

i can see your point that if there was a extreme amount of force rockign the quad back and fourth but it can only go so far as the engine is turned of the compression hold it back. how is it any differant when you are trying to find neutral and rocking the quad back and fourth to help find it?

tie your quad down, stick it in first and your fine.;)

Mxjunkie
08-15-2006, 07:36 PM
If theres a will there's a way

I usually use to put the gas can in the space inbetween the nerf and the axle

then all the gear would go in bags and I'd run the straps thru the bags.

Rico400
08-15-2006, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
If theres a will there's a way

I usually use to put the gas can in the space inbetween the nerf and the axle

then all the gear would go in bags and I'd run the straps thru the bags.

nice looking toys ;) ... i wish we got a red ford to match my plastics.

ShiftFMX
08-15-2006, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Rico400
nice looking toys ;) ... i wish we got a red ford to match my plastics.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/24/111ub1.jpg

Rico400
08-15-2006, 10:05 PM
lucky

firefighterjosh
08-15-2006, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by stalefish_132
how much do you think its going to rock back and fourth?and if its tied down its not going to be rocking back and forth. puting in 1st won't hurt anything and even if there was a slight chance that somthing could go wrong in the tranny i'd rather than than my quad rolling out of the box in case the straps came undone.
:eek2:

i can see your point that if there was a extreme amount of force rockign the quad back and fourth but it can only go so far as the engine is turned of the compression hold it back. how is it any differant when you are trying to find neutral and rocking the quad back and fourth to help find it?

tie your quad down, stick it in first and your fine.;)

It also not good to have constant stress on your gears.

If you tranny goes out, your out tons of money.

If it falls out the back of your truck, insurance company is out money.

Thats why you have insurance on yer quad

DieselBoy
08-16-2006, 12:00 AM
tailgate down- problem solved. gear goes in rear set (flip seats down and lay blanket for gear/misc. stuff, gas gets bungy tied to quad infront/beside. i don't see the complication?

and if i had a 20' enclosed i would always look for excuses to use it.

stalefish_132
08-16-2006, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh

buying and replacing 1st gear is alot cheaper than paying $2300 per year per quad for insureance here in B.C.:ermm:

and 1st gear should be stong enough to hold a quad from rolling, its not like they ar made out of plastic:rolleyes:

firefighterjosh
08-16-2006, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by stalefish_132
buying and replacing 1st gear is alot cheaper than paying $2300 per year per quad for insureance here in B.C.:ermm:

and 1st gear should be stong enough to hold a quad from rolling, its not like they ar made out of plastic:rolleyes:

$2300 Are you f**** kinding me??? Mine is only $120 a Year and I have full coverage. Includes: Theft, Liability, Damge...If I wreck it they will fix it if I want them too. But then it goes up. If I wreck and total my quad they give me money. I have Progressive

Rico400
08-16-2006, 01:37 AM
$2300 Are you f**** kinding me??? Mine is only $120 a Year and I have full coverage. Includes: Theft, Liability, Damge...If I wreck it they will fix it if I want them too. But then it goes up. If I wreck and total my quad they give me money. I have Progressive

me2, i was surprised progressive was so cheap

firefighterjosh
08-16-2006, 01:53 AM
I also get money for what my aftermarket stuff is worth. I just took a pic of my quad and saved the reciets.

250rAL
08-16-2006, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/24/111ub1.jpg

So many people give no thought to how they tie stuff down. First off, two straps aren't enough to secure a machine in the back of a truck. What's going to happen in a collision? And then there's the setup pictured here. The rear machine isn't tied down in the back. In a frontal collsion, both machines are going to be on top of(or in) the cab and then on the road. No less than 4 straps on each machine!

gbcap
08-16-2006, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by DieselBoy

and if i had a 20' enclosed i would always look for excuses to use it. [/B]

till you get one and you realize how much of a pain it is to haul around for just anything. i have an 18 and still put my bike in the back for the local races. long hauls and overnights i put it in the trailer.

gbcap
08-16-2006, 09:55 AM
It also not good to have constant stress on your gears.

If it falls out the back of your truck, insurance company is out money.

Thats why you have insurance on yer quad

it doesn't hurt it one bit to be in gear as long as it is tied down. i have been hauling cars and quads my entire life and never had a problem one. in cars your supposed to put them in gear incase the straps fail.

if it falls out of your truck the insurance for your truck does not have to cover it. only if you have accident insurance on your quad will it cover it. use it once and it will skyrocket to more then. 1k easy per year if not drop you. that is what happend to my friend. don't use accident insurance on your quad. put 4 straps on it, put it in gear and your fine.

gbcap
08-16-2006, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by 250rAL
So many people give no thought to how they tie stuff down. First off, two straps aren't enough to secure a machine in the back of a truck. What's going to happen in a collision? And then there's the setup pictured here. The rear machine isn't tied down in the back. In a frontal collsion, both machines are going to be on top of(or in) the cab and then on the road. No less than 4 straps on each machine!

i agree and disagree. in a frontal collision the rear quad MIGHT go on the top but i doubt it. the front quad is strapped down. it might hit the cab but that is it. the rear quad should def have something holding the rear more then the one strap. i have 4 per quad in my trailer. but in my truck i don't use any actually. it fits snug in there and won't even slide side to side. haha. i should use something but i don't.

DieselBoy
08-16-2006, 10:33 AM
2300/year for a quad? seriously?

08-16-2006, 10:39 AM
you should be driving so dangerously with your quads in the back....you should always be cautious when holding things back there, going slower etc

we do 2-3 straps per bike