PDA

View Full Version : Starting Question

Jakeyracer
08-15-2006, 12:56 AM
ok i have heard of this starting in gear thing a lot lately and it seems to come stock by the sounds of it but mine wont do it.

YES.....i have done a search and i may have the answer right in front of me (i found this thing about spilcing 2 wires together) but just incase are these the 2 wires and does this slight mod make a differnce to anything else just so i dont run into probelms later and so my dad wont freak out if there is and i get screwed out of haveing my beautiful 400ex

hondamanex400
08-15-2006, 05:38 AM
Yup, those look like the two wires. Hell, you still have the ends on them, so I would try and hook them back into the terminals on the kill switch. (I dont know which one goes on top/bottom). When I bought mine, it had those ends cut off, so I just spliced them together, and it has worked ever sense. No problems will occur when doing this. I hoped it helped.

Eviltanker
08-15-2006, 09:03 AM
Looks like you have your parking brake removed? I did the same thing so you are in good shape. Just spice those two wires together and put some solder on it to hold the connection. thats all i did then taped it up. it will be best to slide some shrink tube over the one side before soldering and then just slip the tube over the soldered spot and shrink it into place. And no it will not damage your ride. But, you gotta remember that if it's in gear be sure to pull the clutch in to start it or you will get a little surprise when the ride lurches front!

Jakeyracer
08-15-2006, 10:11 AM
Thank you guys i didnt know what those were for cuz they were just tucked up underneth the handle bars so they were like that when i bought it. i sometimes wonderd why someone would buy a bloke off plate for a parking brake that didnt exsist (i bought mine from a guy who lightly moded it) i never knew that 400ex had a parking brake:D

could i actully pull the metal peice out of a wire nut, put it on the wires, crimp it with a pliers,and then tape it back up on the black wirering that is allready there:confused: just wondering

Eviltanker
08-15-2006, 10:44 AM
You could, I don't know how well it will work. You are better off just splicing it or using a butt connector.

Woodrowbt
08-15-2006, 10:48 PM
Been seeing these threads on bikes not starting in gear too.

All my buds have 400ex's and all of em can be started in gear.

Just got mine recently brand new and it starts in gear also.

Jakeyracer
08-15-2006, 11:34 PM
for now i am useing those conectors (rather than cut and sliceing the wires together) and i found three staples fits in that connector so i wraped it up in electicle tape for now so that way if my dad does not like the way it is all i have to do is pull out those staples keepin it simple fer now :cool: it works for now if it goes out i can just put it in nutral like normal

lol sry i have no sence of grammer or spelling:p

firefighterjosh
08-15-2006, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Woodrowbt
Been seeing these threads on bikes not starting in gear too.

All my buds have 400ex's and all of em can be started in gear.

Just got mine recently brand new and it starts in gear also.

Try starting it in gear without the clutch pulled in. Thats what they are talking about.

Eviltanker
08-16-2006, 06:19 AM
I've got some parts on e-bay. factory parking brake assembely,skid plates, and front bumper if you need that stuff. and the factory micro switch is with the perch