PDA

View Full Version : chain tightener HELP!

nj87ttype
08-14-2006, 11:53 PM
I have an 03' 300EX and the round thing thats on the axle that u turn to tighten the chain broke. It was really tight & would hardly budge (i was'nt using the correct tool either i had a big screwdriver). So as I'm trying to turn it the thing cracked & a small piece broke off. Can I buy this part somewhere, and how much do they usually cost? It used to turn without any problems in the past, anyone else have this prob? Any info is appreciated.

wilkin250r
08-15-2006, 02:47 AM
First off, are you sure you really need a new one? What exactly broke on it? You might still be able to use it, because a new one isn't cheap. Take a good-quality picture of it and post it, somebody can tell you whether or not it's still usable.

The part you are describing goes by a few different names. It can either be called the Axle Carrier, the Bearing Carrier (or simply Carrier). The Honda parts manual calls it the Bearing Holder. As you can probably guess by the name, it houses the axle bearings.

You can buy it online for about $170, but it will run closer to $250 from your dealer or local shop, and comes complete and ready to install. You might be able to buy one used on ebay, but then you'll need to go through the hassle of pulling the old bearings out and putting new ones in, along with new dust seals and such. The carrier itself rarely ever goes "bad", but I wouldn't trust the old bearings and seals from a used part.

08-15-2006, 07:03 AM
i bought a new one o few years ago because i thought i needed it. the dealer got me for $170...not too bad until i got the old one out and realized it was good, the axle was bent. i put the new one in anyway...i'll look and see if i still have the old one around...make me a reasonable offer...i'll even pull the old bearings out of it if i have it. bearing kits can be bought on ebay for less than $20

400exrider707
08-15-2006, 09:33 AM
You can get an aftermarket unit with double wide bearings on ebay for $100-$130. I bought my burgard on there for $135 shipped.:cool:

If you do go that route make sure you get a billet one and not a cast one, the cast ones do not last very long.

nj87ttype
08-15-2006, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the help everyone I'm glad theres hope without very high dollar!