PDA

View Full Version : Trail Tech Computer causes bike to bog

Iliketogofast
08-14-2006, 07:43 PM
I figured this would get more attention here than in the 250R forums.

I got the computer and hooked everything up like I'm supposed to (I thought). The bike runs fine at idle and low RPM's, but then it bogs if I try to rev up. It's almost as if something isn't allowing it to go over a certain RPM.

Does anyone know the problem? I thought it could be that the stator was weak, but Wilkin told me it uses under 1 watt, plus it does the same thing with the lights off as it does with them on.

wilkin250r
08-15-2006, 03:01 AM
I can't possibly see any way that it would be overloading your stator, unless it was broken and had a short circuit somewhere.

Help me out here, and give me some history. Last time you connected it, the quad ran fine, correct? No bogging issues. The only problem it DID have was the RPM reading wasn't correct of you had the lights on?

Where did you have it connected?

What else can you tell me about what you have tried, about what works, and what doesn't?

To anybody else reading this, don't be afraid to chime in. Don't just assume "Oh, Wilkin's on it, he'll be able to help" So far, I'm stumped, so don't be afraid to offer suggestions.

Iliketogofast
08-15-2006, 08:44 AM
Okay, here goes.

The bike works fine without the power connected to the computer. It also runs fine when the power is connected to the white lead from the stator that goes to the lights, however the computer doesn't give the correct readings when attatched to the lights when I turn them on.

When the guy told me to connect it to the kill switch, I stripped that wire, kickstarted the bike and touched the wires together. Everything worked like it was supposed to, except when I rev the bike up it is almost like it hits a rev limit at 3000 or so. It really sounds like a rev limit when I hold it pinned, because it just sort of bounces off a certain RPM just like a rev limiter.

I then tried several other wires, like the red and black one leading into the stator, the yellow and blue that leads out to the coil, ect. All had the same results.

Keep in mind, the bike does run perfect until I rev it, just like it were unplugged. In fact, I can connect the power wire and take it off over and over again and it doesn't even sputter when it contacts at all.

08-15-2006, 08:55 AM
what readings are wrong when you hook the power to the lights?
i ran my power wires to my battery, but that is not an option since you aint got one...

i would say use your lights like you tried adn make sure your rpm wire is grounded well and wrapped 10 times around the wire that goes from the spark plug to the coil. make sure both the power and the rpm leads are grounded

GPracer2500
08-15-2006, 11:24 AM
I'm just guessing...

I'm thinking the CDI isn't working properly cause you've got the power for the TT unit hooked up to the exciter coil rather than the lighting coil. Where does TT say the power for the unit should come from?

I'd prolly focus on figuring out how to get the TT unit to work correctly when powered off the lighting coil. Have you talked to TT?

Iliketogofast
08-15-2006, 11:28 AM
Okay, talked to Trail Tech, the guy told me to hook it up on my light switch, did, now it works right only when the lights are on. When they are off, the backlight blinks and the tach goes crazy. WHen I say the tach goes crazy, I mean it works normally til about 6000 RPMs then it spikes bad, all the way up to 12k and stays there until it gets back down to 6k. It's like it doubles when it gets to 6 grand.

08-15-2006, 11:52 AM
on pg 21 of the vapor manual, it says that some vehlcles change the number of ppr over a certain rpm. i think this is your problem now....follow what it says on that page and see if it is better

Iliketogofast
08-15-2006, 11:54 AM
I know, but I thought Wilkin said it has 1 PPR the whole way through.

EDIT

Nope, that isn't it. I set it to change at 6000 but then it doesn't work with the lights on. Remember, the only time it gives me trouble is with the lights off.

I would just say screw it and leave my lights on, but I paid for it and I want it to work right. Besides, my bike is harder to start with the lights on.

bwamos
08-15-2006, 12:14 PM
Ok.. so you have the computer power hooked into the lighting power.

It works fine while the lights are turned on. (Closed lighting circuit). But, it acts up when the lights are off (open lighting circuit).

The circuit is an AC circuit, or is it rectified to DC?.

Perhaps, you are spliced into the lighting wire on the wrong side of the on/off switch?

08-15-2006, 12:27 PM
start the bike and then turn the lights on...turn the lights off before you shut the bike off...my thought would be that the lights would have to be on to complete the circuit.

Iliketogofast
08-15-2006, 12:42 PM
It's AC, and there is no right or wrong side of the switch. There is power input in the middle which I'm spliced into and two outputs that go to the headlamp; High and low.

I called tech support at about 10 this morning and and the guy was stumped. He said he would call back "in an hour" and here it is at 6PM and no call. Their customer support is worthless. I really want to just ditch this thing and get my money back but I need it.

wilkin250r
08-15-2006, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
on pg 21 of the vapor manual, it says that some vehlcles change the number of ppr over a certain rpm. i think this is your problem now....

That's certainly not going to happen on a 250r. You get one spark every revolution, all through the RPM range.

Alright, I'm going to read the instructions on the trailtech website, and I'll get back to you.

In the meantime, answer this question for me, so there is no confusion at all. Where and how are your power leads connected? Where and how is your tach lead connected?

Iliketogofast
08-15-2006, 10:17 PM
I have a 3 way toggle switch instead of the original switch installed, along with a kill from a bike.

The trail tech power lead is connected to the light wire from the stator that goes into the light switch. The ground goes to the frame under the bolt like everything else. The tach power lead is supposed to wrap around the coil and it does, and the ground on the tach probe goes under the bolt as well.