PDA

View Full Version : Bore VS stroke on TRX big bores

ThumPIN_450R
08-14-2006, 07:08 PM
I have been looking at two big bore kits for my bike recently. One of them gets to it's displacement by a combination of bore and stroke. The other is just a straight drop on cylinder and piston. I know that the stroker would make more power but my question is there a enough of a power gain to justify the 1000$ price differance? Also would there be any kind of reliability differances? I'm pretty much looking for a torque monster so I can race at lower RPM and hopefully keep my bikes running longer. If it don't work at least I'll be blowing up with a big lead rather than in 2nd or third :macho

dork
08-14-2006, 08:54 PM
the stroker sounds like what you want, but it may not make more power than the bore kit alone. stroker cranks typically reduce your torque/hp rpm peaks, and make the engine feel more like a tractor. they increase your piston speed, and unless you run a longer rod, they will increase side loading on the cylinder. so it increases wear on the piston/cyl, but you also don't have to twist it as high to get the power. if you go big cc's, you need to address the valves and carb to keep the motor breathing. also you need to ride it with the right technique, gear it higher and keep it pulling. in my opinion, the stroker isn't really worth the extra $ and maintenance on these motors unless you want to teardown every few races. it also depends on the amount of stroke increase.

bansheexcracer2
08-14-2006, 08:57 PM
If you have the money get the stroker. It will make great bottom end but still give you more top end.

Wheelie
08-15-2006, 01:05 PM
Stroke it.

In order to have a reliable big bore, a HD con-rod is needed. Either way you go, to have a reliable combo, the cases will need split.

Strokers rule, you won't regret it.:macho