PDA

View Full Version : Drilling Houser arms for zerks??

Aceman
08-14-2006, 05:29 PM
My bottom arms have the zerks facing down. Problem is the skid is bent up a little rubbing on the zerks breaking them off. To prevent this problem from happening again can I just drill zerk holes on the top and plug the bottom holes? Or will this weaken it too much? I've seen some Houser arms on a YFZ that had the zerks facing up from the factory. To bad mine weren't made that way.:ermm:

bansheexcracer2
08-14-2006, 05:45 PM
i would just fill the bottom hole with weld and drill and tap a top hole. It wont weaken it, aspcially if you weld the bottom hole.

DJJ450r
08-14-2006, 05:57 PM
my LSR zerks are on the top but you have to drill the frame so the zerks dont break off, instead I bought plugs for the holes and when I need to grease it I just take the plugs out and put the zerks in, I would try that before you start drilling and welding stuff.:)

John Houser
08-25-2006, 05:21 AM
The thread size is 1/4" - 28.
You can tap holes on the opposite side without any problems.
Use 1/4" - 28 set screws with loctite to plug holes. Make sure to not screw it in to far. You don't want the screw to bottom out on the sleeve.

prepracing
08-26-2006, 06:34 AM
why don't you just trim the skidplate ??????

gbcap
08-26-2006, 06:54 AM
because they will still drag the ground every once in a while.

i am going to put mine on the top too. this is something houser should start doing themselves in my opinion. mine broke off after 10 minutes of riding.

tltcracing
08-26-2006, 02:58 PM
just put screw where the zerks are and put the zerks back on when you go to regrease.

Aceman
08-26-2006, 07:56 PM
My skid is only about 1/4-3/8" away from the zerks. I would have to unbolt my skid each time far enough to screw/unscrew my zerks when I grease the arms. I would rather drill the top, plug the bottom and never have to worry about it again. If John Houser himself said it will be alright, I'm inclined to believe him. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.