PDA

View Full Version : Spark Arrestor for LRD Adjustable??

Aceman
08-14-2006, 04:46 PM
Talked to LRD today about putting a spark arrestor in my silencer. Salesman said they don't make one and to just take my endcap off and put a stainless mesh behind it. He said it will work but obviously isn't Forest Service approved. When you guys get stopped are you getting checked for having a spark arrestor? Salesman said it should pass because they just shove a rod up the endcap to feel for the spark arrestor. Can I get away with this or does my silencer have to say it has a spark arrestor in it?

Rich250RRacer
08-14-2006, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
Talked to LRD today about putting a spark arrestor in my silencer. Salesman said they don't make one and to just take my endcap off and put a stainless mesh behind it. He said it will work but obviously isn't Forest Service approved. When you guys get stopped are you getting checked for having a spark arrestor? Salesman said it should pass because they just shove a rod up the endcap to feel for the spark arrestor. Can I get away with this or does my silencer have to say it has a spark arrestor in it?

If you're riding on public land, it has to be USFS approved.

norcalduner
08-14-2006, 10:29 PM
here in cali, before you enter a state-run rec area to ride, the rangers look over your bike to check for your registration sticker and if your exhaust has a spark arrestor specially during the summer months. i got pulled over one time for not having a spark arrestor and told the ranger that i just got the bike and the previous owner told me it was equipped so the ranger had to prove me wrong and "educate" me by pushing a wire hanger into the silencer. what he said ALSO is that as long as there is a mesh "trap" in the silencer, the quad could be compliant even if there isnt any USFS stamp of approval attached to the silencer.

Aceman
08-15-2006, 07:07 AM
Thanks a bunch Norcal, that's what I wanted to hear. Looks like I'll be installing some mesh.:cool:

Gasman
08-15-2006, 09:56 AM
I have another LRD on my 250r, but my first LRD spark arrestor experience came while I had my Blaster.

FMF Turbine Core guts will fit in the LRD oval silencer. They are a little shorter, so I had to put a self-tapping screw through the body just behind where the FMF guts ended to keep it from sliding back in the silencer body. I live in the heart of the Huron National Forest, and I know several of the USFS employees and even a couple of their Law Enforcement officers. I was told in no uncertain terms that if screen was put in a non-USFS approved silencer it would result in an automatic ticket. In his words: #1, It's a half-assed attempt to comply, and #2, they have no way of knowing if it's good stainless screen or window screen from the local hardware. I took my silencer in to their office and took it apart to show them. They liked the way it was done, and they all agreed that even though it still wasn't "official", if they stopped me on the trail I surely wouldn't get a ticket. I actaully had to cut off some of the turn-down outlet so they could get the plastic stick in there if needed. I then took my Blaster to Silver Lake sand dunes, which is tough to get into if you're not set up right. I talked to an enforcement officer the night before at the voucher center and told him about my setup, and he said that if he was working the gate I wouldn't get in. I took my chances and tried to get in the next morning. The guy at the gate looked for the USFS stamp, and when he didn't see one he put his stick in. It hit the Turbine within the required length, so he went for his flashlight. He looked inside and asked me "Is that a Turbine Core?". Yup. He said "good work" and let me in. I got lucky in that I got someone familiar with this stuff. Bottom line is, if it doesn't say "USFS Approved" you very well could get a ticket, no matter how good you make it look. And that ticket ain't cheap.

For my 250r, I bought an Answer Sparky (round), cut a couple slots in it where it goes over the silencer so I could form it to the oval shape, and clamped it on. Works great, and no hassles. $80 for a Sparky is a lot better than the ticket you could get for hacking it. Just my .02.

Aceman
08-15-2006, 04:19 PM
Thanks for your input Gasman. It looks like my best bet is to just call my local Forest Service and get their input. I'll definitely let them know about the FMF Turbine core as a possible replacement.

Gasman
08-16-2006, 10:05 AM
The problem with my Blaster LRD was that the LRD silencer was the only one that would fit. It's my understanding (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that other brands of silencers will fit a 250r LRD pipe. If that's the case then the whole FMF Turbine Core silencer could be used. Of course you'd lose the cool "LRD" thing on the silencer body. ;)

BLACKeR
08-16-2006, 05:59 PM
sheesh...what a pain in the rear.

Gasman
08-17-2006, 07:07 AM
It would be a lot simpler if LRD would just make a spark-arrested silencer option (hint, hint).