PDA

View Full Version : Sand tire question for raptor owners

raptordude
08-14-2006, 04:13 PM
I am about to make my first trip to the Silver Lake dunes next month and I am not sure what to get...

First - I have a raptor 660 w/full HMF,K&N lid and stock gearing

Second - I have stock rims(10" I think)

Third - I will probably be doing alot of jumping,hillclimbing and carving

What would be the best tires and how many paddles should I get?

Commando
08-24-2006, 02:15 AM
If you arnt going to ride in sand all the time, stick with stock tires! Just deflate them to 4psi and you'll be fine on sand I have 'Sand Sharks' on my 660 but there aint that much difference to be honest.
Ride Safe!!!:muscle:

WoofersInc
08-24-2006, 10:57 PM
For good all around riding get a V or modified V paddle. Straight paddles are good for drag racing and straight hill climbing. If you are going to do a lot of jumping stay with the stock wheel. Or look at the Douglas wheels in .160 or .190. A little bit heavier than some but will stand up to the impacts of landing better.
Check with Rocky Mountain ATV. They offer tire and wheel packages that will be delivered to your door already mounted and ready to go. I have used them quite a bit and tires usually arrive within 3-4 days.

True Blue
10-01-2006, 06:22 PM
I have sidewinders for my. They hook up great, even for drags. I wouldn't listen to people who tell you to ride with stock tires. I have helped out alot of people who got stuck because they did not have the traction in the sand. I think any good V paddle will work the best for you.

450rJam
10-05-2006, 05:04 PM
you can get around with stock tires but it takes away from the experience.
stock tires dont take off for crap and hill climbs suck.
get a set of v paddles (prob 8 paddle) and you will love them.
if your going to drag race much get straights (they hook better)

fastJan
10-06-2006, 12:50 AM
For riding the dunes I prefer a V-type paddle. They turn easier than straights. You can even throw your weight during a wheelie and make 'em turn. With straight paddles you need to get them spinning to turn quick.....its harder to do that every time you need to turn. I use Skat Trak Edges in 20x10x10 8 paddles on the light Douglas rims. You could go with the heavier rims if you do a lot of jumping. The advantage of the Skat traks is that the casing are buffed down, making them more flexible than solid cases. When you drag race, the skats will grow taller like slicks on a top fuel dragster. The taller tire acts like another gear that you get without shifting. I agree with the others who said that the straight paddles (Skat Trak Haulers) are better for drag racing, but for that you would want less rim and more rubber so they can grow a bunch. I usually buy them at Rocky Mountain ATV. Another nice addition if you've got the money is to get some sand tire for the fronts. They seem to float on the sand rather than dig into it like a stock knobbie will. You'll feel like you are getting 15% more power.

250r4life
10-06-2006, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by raptordude
I am about to make my first trip to the Silver Lake dunes next month and I am not sure what to get...

First - I have a raptor 660 w/full HMF,K&N lid and stock gearing

Second - I have stock rims(10" I think)

Third - I will probably be doing alot of jumping,hillclimbing and carving

What would be the best tires and how many paddles should I get?

i beleive stock is 9'' but i could be wrong...

honestly, for what you are doing i would go with the sand sharks. theyre a great paddle tire, and are pretty inexpensive. i have sand stars and i love them on my bike, but for the raptor i prefer the sand sharks much more... with the raptor sitting taller and not having that powerband hit that i have to break the tires loose, it is much easier to turn and you feel much less tipsy with sand sharks as opposed to sand stars...

another thing to consider, assuming you have some pretty good dunes, is to drop your front sprocket to a 12 as opposed to a 13... if you have big bowls and dunes like at glamis, this will make your experience much more enjoyable... we do this to all the raptors in our group/camp....

True Blue
10-06-2006, 10:41 AM
I run sidewinders on a 8" light weight Douglas rim. I believe they are blue label. I have been on bikes with the sand sharks, and it seems like the *** end wants to slideout to easy. The sidewinders are great for hill climbs, trail riding and even drags. Now you won't be able to keep up with straights on a drag, but they hook really good. I start in 2nd gear when I drag and I have to be carefull not to gas it to much or I will stand the front end up. I would recommend just buying a set of rims and wheels. This way you don't have to mess with changing the tires back and forth. You just unbolt and bolt up and take off. I ride in the dunes in Oklahoma alot and I never have any problem with the sidewinders, but I think any V paddle is a worthwhile buy. Alot better than Stock. Stock sucks on the dunes.