PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Chain

yamaha1470
08-25-2002, 08:05 AM
How do you all clean ur chains? I used to just wipe it down but recently it just got real nasty. What chemicals are safe for an o ring chain to get the gunk off? Any tips or tricks would be great.

Woodsrider
08-25-2002, 08:11 AM
I use kerosene and a rag. Unless I have the chain off, then I just swirl it in a bucket of kerosene Dry it with a rag and wax it with BelRay chain wax.

yamaha1470
08-25-2002, 08:20 AM
i think i might have some kerosene somewhere. That wont mess up the orings? Also if i dont have it what else can i use or where can i buy kerosene?

Woodsrider
08-25-2002, 10:37 PM
You can use desiel, it's pretty much the same thing.

Neither will hurt your o-rings

If you do it on the quad, do your hands and liver a favor and wear a pair of solvent safe gloves. You shouldn't need more than a cup if you do it on the quad, or a quart or two for soaking it in a bucket.

08-25-2002, 11:14 PM
Kerosene works best and will not hurt o-rings. I have also used air filter cleaner which works very well and have notice noticed any adverse effects on the o-rings. On my KX250 I use air filter cleaner to clean the chain lube that gets flung up on my rims. Works very well to clean real bad grime all over the bike, and doesn't hurt anything. Just hose it off real good when you're done.

Teufel
08-26-2002, 10:37 AM
I hate cleaning the chain, I quit using those tacky chain lubes, I use wd-40 and or PB Blaster. IT works as well if not better and doesn't collect dirt as bad and of course doesn't build up. Just use it before and after riding and after washing :cool: