PDA

View Full Version : Jetting Help!?!?!?!?

mustang25
08-14-2006, 01:48 PM
i have a 2006 trx250ex. I have just put on an fmf megamax exhaust and a k&n air flilter. I can take my atv to the local shop and get it done for about $150. That way i know its ddone right, plus if they screw up, it gets fixed for free. On the other hand my best buds dad can do it for free, but im not sure its great work....what should i do?(how hard is it to jet an atv...im kinda new at tuning)

GPracer2500
08-14-2006, 02:04 PM
Don't take it to a shop. In my experience they rarely get re-jetting right. Dealerships are particular offenders about this. Some performance oriented shops are OK. It's not that they mangle the parts or anything, it's that they usually just make a guess about what jets are the right size and call it good. Most people who have a dealer do their jetting are none the wiser. Jetting is not a plug-and-play affair; it's a process. If you want to be sure it's right there's almost always some trial and error involved. Dealers rarely do anything but throw in some larger sizes and hand it back to you....

I say buy a service manual, a few different jet sizes, and do it yourself. You'll save money but the real (and long-term) benefit is what you'll learn in the process. There's no better time to start learning what jetting is all about than right now....

that's my $0.02

zeppelin
08-14-2006, 02:16 PM
they have a few aticles about this in the "how to section"

here is mine http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=221872

let me know if you need any more help..

mustang25
08-14-2006, 09:11 PM
thanks man that really helped. There should be more people like u on...to manny @ss holes now a days.

wilkin250r
08-15-2006, 02:31 AM
Let me expand just a little on what GPracer said.

Mechanically, jetting is a very, very simple process. If you have the ability to put on your own pipe, you can easily change your jets. The difficulty in proper jetting is READING your engine and determining what size jets to put in, and what adjustments to make. But your local shop isn't going to help you there, as GPracer has told you. They generally don't test anything, they just throw in a set of jets they read off a chart. In fact, if you buy the jets from them, I'm willing to bet they'll tell you for free what size they normally install.

Probably the only aspect you might possibly have trouble with is the screws that hold the bowl to the carb. For some reason, they are on there really tight from the factory. Make sure you use a solid #2 phillips (the big size). An ordinary #1 phillips just seems to strip them out.