PDA

View Full Version : Quad stalls out when low rpm downshifting??

beastlyone
08-14-2006, 01:19 PM
Hey guys, i was just cleaning off my yfz today and the battery died so i bump started it ( ghetto as **** but works ) nd i was riding around and was fine but i couldnt help but notice if i was in say 4th gear cruising around my yard that it would bog a little so id downshift and then it would die if i held in the clutch to drop into 2nd or downshift into any gear for that matter. what would cause this? Also the fan in the back of the radiator isnt spinning while im riding to cool the engine down, is it because of the dead battery or is something else wrong?

Toadz400
08-14-2006, 08:44 PM
Does it idle? Your idle adjustment could just be set too low and your jetting could be off, causing it to stumble on itself and quit.

As for the fan, mine has only come on twice during the entire year and some months that I've owned it, so I wouldn't really worry about that unless you had your 450 sitting for several minutes and it's very hot out. The fan doesn't usually come on while you're riding because the air moving through the radiator is enough to cool it. You could do a search, I know someone posted up how to check to make sure your fan is working.

beastlyone
08-14-2006, 09:01 PM
yes it does idle pretty well actually, but it does have a sliight pop when doing a downshift, what would this be?

pnut420
08-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by beastlyone
yes it does idle pretty well actually, but it does have a sliight pop when doing a downshift, what would this be?

Jetting. Probably going from rich as can be to lean. Also check your air fuel screw and make sure it hasnt backed out. Should be about 1- 1 1/2 turns out.

Try changing the plug also. I doubt you got water in it while washing it, but might as well check the oil while your at it.

Was it sitting for awhile or anything? Mine has run crappy a few times when I left race gas in it to long, I just take the carb off clean it good and usually alot of crap builds up on my needle.

beastlyone
08-15-2006, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by pnut420
Jetting. Probably going from rich as can be to lean. Also check your air fuel screw and make sure it hasnt backed out. Should be about 1- 1 1/2 turns out.

Try changing the plug also. I doubt you got water in it while washing it, but might as well check the oil while your at it.

Was it sitting for awhile or anything? Mine has run crappy a few times when I left race gas in it to long, I just take the carb off clean it good and usually alot of crap builds up on my needle.

in the first paragraph are you referring to the air/fuel screw on the carb? And yes the prior owner had it sitting for a longg time, but im going to be letting the carb sit in carb cleaner tomorrow as well as run it 1:3 mixed with my gas to clean it completely out. As well as im putting in new engine oil, coolant, new plug, and new break fluid tomorrow

pnut420
08-15-2006, 04:19 PM
in the first paragraph are you referring to the air/fuel screw on the carb? And yes the prior owner had it sitting for a longg time, but im going to be letting the carb sit in carb cleaner tomorrow as well as run it 1:3 mixed with my gas to clean it completely out. As well as im putting in new engine oil, coolant, new plug, and new break fluid tomorrow

Yeah I was referring to the air fuel screw under the carb when its on the quad. Instead of just letting it soak in carb cleaner, take the bottom cap off the carb and you will see the jets in there. I would unscew these and give them a good blasting with the spray. Also take off the top where the slide is and spray it real good. If you feel confortable with it you can unscrew th allen head by the slide and take the needle out and clean it also. Clean any excess you see with a clean rag, then turn the carb a few times to get all the carb spray out dont let it sit there to long. Also don't shake the carb or anything, might mess the bowl up a little and cause it to stick.

Id suggest using the owners manual for the first time, it will show you everything part by part. After you get everything all cleaned up and plugs changed and stuff you should be good to go.

The motor isnt making any valve noises or anyhthing unusual is it, or black smoke coming out?

beastlyone
08-15-2006, 06:27 PM
if i take off the bowl on the bottom of the carb will any small parts fall out ? haha yeah i know man, i dont have an owners or repair manual, all i got with the quad when i bought it was the title and registration. And no the quad isnt making any unusal noises when i hit the throttle or anything such as that and no it doesnt smoke at all.

pnut420
08-15-2006, 07:30 PM
if i take off the bowl on the bottom of the carb will any small parts fall out ? haha yeah i know man, i dont have an owners or repair manual, all i got with the quad when i bought it was the title and registration. And no the quad isnt making any unusal noises when i hit the throttle or anything such as that and no it doesnt smoke at all.

No when you unscrew that you are fine. There will be the pilot and main jet in there. If you want you can unscrew them, clean them and put them back in. Careful though dont strip them and don't overtighten. Really though just go down or call a local dealership and have them get you a owners manual.

beastlyone
08-15-2006, 07:31 PM
alrite good deal, thanks alot bro helped out alot

pnut420
08-15-2006, 07:58 PM
alrite good deal, thanks alot bro helped out alot

If you take out the main and pilot jet take a look at the numbers on them. The main should be around 165 and the pilot like a 52 or something.

Also you were saying you were mixing something 3:1 to your gas I hope you didnt mean the carb cleaner. If you are worried about your fuel, get some fuel stabilizer or just drain your tank and use that gas for the lawn mower or something. :eek:

beastlyone
08-15-2006, 08:20 PM
is that the size you would reccomend for an HMF slip on? And yes when i said mixing 3:1, i meant basically mixing 1 pint of carb cleaner with each half gallon of gas

pnut420
08-15-2006, 09:30 PM
is that the size you would reccomend for an HMF slip on? And yes when i said mixing 3:1, i meant basically mixing 1 pint of carb cleaner with each half gallon of gas

No that isnt what HMF recommends but is about normal for alot of pipes, I was just giving a rough estimate for the numbers you should look for. Ive never owned a HMF for the yfz so Im not sure on the pilot and main.

I wouldn't mix any carb cleaner in the gas.

beastlyone
08-15-2006, 09:47 PM
i mean its not the aresol (spelling?) can, its in about a half gallon jug. why wouldnt you mix it with gas to run it through the system to clean everything out? whats the worst that would happen?

pnut420
08-15-2006, 11:33 PM
i mean its not the aresol (spelling?) can, its in about a half gallon jug. why wouldnt you mix it with gas to run it through the system to clean everything out? whats the worst that would happen?

If its fuel system cleaner it would be ok. Cleaning the carb with the aerosol stuff should be fine, if your worried about the gas being bad then just drain it.

beastlyone
08-16-2006, 07:51 AM
Nah see thats the thing, it is carb cleaner, just not in the aresol spray can. I was told to run it a pint of the carb cleaner per every half gallon of gas in it which would in turn clean the needle and anything i would have missed when i took the whole carb off. But if i did this whats the worst that could happen assuming i put in fresh 93 octane gas in it?

pnut420
08-16-2006, 11:47 AM
Nah see thats the thing, it is carb cleaner, just not in the aresol spray can. I was told to run it a pint of the carb cleaner per every half gallon of gas in it which would in turn clean the needle and anything i would have missed when i took the whole carb off. But if i did this whats the worst that could happen assuming i put in fresh 93 octane gas in it?

Should be fine. I've just got something against putting that stuff in my quad. I'd dump it in my truck anyday, just don't like it in my quad. Its just so easy for me to take the carb apart its no biggie, I like to clean the slide when I do it, etc... I dont miss 1 part of it.