PDA

View Full Version : Rear tires for MX

Gasman
08-14-2006, 10:15 AM
I recently switched from XC on my 400ex to MX on an Arens-framed 250r, and I'm pretty disappointed with my results. I'm running 19" Holeshot MX's in front and lightly grooved 18x9.5x8 Turf Tamers in back. My local track is probably 60% sand with some clay thrown in here and there. I'm getting out-pulled at the start and on the exit of almost every turn, because (I think) I'm spinning way too much. I don't really want to spend $60-70 a piece for Holeshots, but I suppose I can if that's my best bet. What do you guys run on similar tracks? If I go Holeshots, are the MXR6 the ones I want? What about RazrMX's, Klaws, or even Shredders? Thanks.

skyhighatv
08-14-2006, 10:25 AM
ive been runing holeshot sx in the rear-they work surprisingly well in the loamy stuff for being so soft-and the hook up on hard pack is incredible-one of my fav tires to date.

get rid of the 19" inch fronts and get 20"-the 20's will give you a smoother ride.

atvmxr
08-14-2006, 12:18 PM
In my experience grooved turfs work better in sand than holeshots. but I guess it could also depend on how you groove the turfs. On other terrain I find Holeshots have too much side bite and dont slide as easily. Probably has alot to do with your riding style and how your motor/pipe is tuned for lowend or etc.. I like to spin around corners. It easier to get the R up in the power band if the tires are spinning, if they are hooking up the motor tends to bog

Tyler107
08-15-2006, 06:21 AM
have you thought about 18'' kenda klaws i find they work in alot of situations and there not too expensive

Mean250r
08-15-2006, 07:26 AM
holeshot MXR6?

Gasman
08-15-2006, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by skyhighatv
ive been runing holeshot sx in the rear-they work surprisingly well in the loamy stuff for being so soft-and the hook up on hard pack is incredible-one of my fav tires to date.

get rid of the 19" inch fronts and get 20"-the 20's will give you a smoother ride.

I was in the garage last night and happened to look at my fronts. 20x6x10 Holeshot Mx. Doh!! Not sure why I thought I had 19's on there. :huh

Gasman
08-15-2006, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by atvmxr
In my experience grooved turfs work better in sand than holeshots. but I guess it could also depend on how you groove the turfs. On other terrain I find Holeshots have too much side bite and dont slide as easily. Probably has alot to do with your riding style and how your motor/pipe is tuned for lowend or etc.. I like to spin around corners. It easier to get the R up in the power band if the tires are spinning, if they are hooking up the motor tends to bog

My motor is set up surprisingly similar to yours, minus the LRD port job. My ports are more "cleaned up" than actually ported. But I run the LRD adjustable, Team 37 smoothbore, Uni filter with no lid, Hinson basket, etc. My pipe is set up long for a big top end hit. I'm going to mess around with some different lengths to try and soften that hit. I'm having to work the clutch a bit more than I'd like in some of the corners, and when I do all hell breaks loose. Lots of spinning and side-sliding, to the point where I've gone around in a 180 twice on the same off-camber turn. I'm hoping with the right rears and a bit better low end pull I can put my power down a little better out of the corners.

Gasman
08-15-2006, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Tyler107
have you thought about 18'' kenda klaws i find they work in alot of situations and there not too expensive

I have 20" Klaw XCR's on my 400ex. They're nice trail tires, but I can't say I was blown away by their performance in XC racing. But then again we're talking about two different types of racing too. They're on my list of possibles, but mainly because of price.

Gasman
08-15-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Mean250r
holeshot MXR6?

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?prodFamilyId=13609&navTitle=Tires+and+Wheels&pageLinkUri=&webCatId=8&vehicleType=&priceRange=allPrices&webTypeId=138&brandId=134&navType=type

atvmxr
08-15-2006, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Gasman
My motor is set up surprisingly similar to yours, minus the LRD port job. My ports are more "cleaned up" than actually ported. But I run the LRD adjustable, Team 37 smoothbore, Uni filter with no lid, Hinson basket, etc. My pipe is set up long for a big top end hit. I'm going to mess around with some different lengths to try and soften that hit. I'm having to work the clutch a bit more than I'd like in some of the corners, and when I do all hell breaks loose. Lots of spinning and side-sliding, to the point where I've gone around in a 180 twice on the same off-camber turn. I'm hoping with the right rears and a bit better low end pull I can put my power down a little better out of the corners.

well I think the porting makes a big difference in the way the motor runs and the hit is fairly smooth, but I've ridden some really hard hitting motors. Everything is realitive is guess. Anyway about the 180s in turns, to me that just part of the fun of racing mx, having the quad on that edge of spinning out, having the front wheels turned in the opposite direction, feathering the clutch, and finding that sweet spot for motor rpm. :macho I dont like it when the quad sticks in the corners and lugs its way out. Its all a matter of preference and riding style. and for me the rear Klaws have more bite than the holeshots, so I really dont care for them either. Have you grooved your turfs?? what pattern?

Gasman
08-15-2006, 12:52 PM
The 18x9.5x8's that I have on right now have one lug shaved in each row, in a zig-zag pattern as the tire goes around. So they're not super-open I guess. I also have a set of 18x11x8's the guy gave me with the quad that have a 2-3-2-3 groove pattern. Two gone in the center, then two on the outside and one on the inside, then two center, then two inside and one outside. Hope that makes sense. The tread is a little more worn on them (they have maybe 85%, the 9.5's are near-new), so I hesitated to try them. One, because they're a touch worn, two, because they're so much more open, three, because they're bigger and thus heavier, and four, because if I break down my beadlocks I'm afraid I'll be chasing leaks again. :D Lazy I know, and I've gotta do it anyway if I end up with new meats.

Maybe I should try the 11's first?

atvmxr
08-15-2006, 07:16 PM
Yeah, i think I understand. There are a few ways to groove them. I think what you will like is to alternate rows of a 4 left in/ (With the outside lugs of that row cut) and the other row to have the middle 3 or so cut. Kinda like a paddle tire

BLACKeR
08-15-2006, 08:20 PM
not to sound too rude but a lot of this sounds like things you as a rider need to improve on. tires dont fix everything. you complained of too much wheel spin, actually spinning out in corners and having to clutch a lot. effective clutching will cut down on wheel spin. proper body positioning will help out a lot with cornering, and wheel spin. different tires may help, but honestly i think what will help the most will just be practice. you talked about just switching from a XC set up. if your used to XC, MX is a different animal.

rebelbanshee
08-15-2006, 08:22 PM
you could run the same tires as the people beating you or..

try running a higher gear and working the clutch alittle more.

SET THE STAGE
08-15-2006, 10:06 PM
18" knarlys will do wonders in that type of soil

TampaBoy813
08-16-2006, 04:42 AM
Razer MX 100%

Gasman
08-16-2006, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by BLACKeR
not to sound too rude but a lot of this sounds like things you as a rider need to improve on. tires dont fix everything. you complained of too much wheel spin, actually spinning out in corners and having to clutch a lot. effective clutching will cut down on wheel spin. proper body positioning will help out a lot with cornering, and wheel spin. different tires may help, but honestly i think what will help the most will just be practice. you talked about just switching from a XC set up. if your used to XC, MX is a different animal.

I don't take it as rude, cuz I understand what you're saying. We all strive to be better out there each lap around, and I've made some huge strides every time I've gotten on the track this summer. This is the first year our local track has allowed a quad class, and we only have one class. I'm on the quad you see below, and I'm getting beat by a stock Raptor with a cam and a bone stock '06 450r. I feel I can ride the track smoother than the others out there, and I'm the only one jumping the full length of our 65' table top without casing the top, so the speed and smoothness are coming along OK. I can enter a corner even with someone, and watch them pull two lengths on me on the exit while I'm spinning. They'll hold that two lengths, or maybe I'll even close a little, until the next turn where they'll pull another length or two on exit. The real kicker is that our starting straight is pure sand, dampened with the water truck. I start in second, and I'm in fourth within a few lengths out of the gate, even with my butt hanging over the grab bar. Everyone else hooks up better, so I'm back-packing by the first turn. I pick off a few lesser-skilled riders during the moto, but always end up settling for mid-pack finishes when I should be up front racing for the win.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/Doorider/100_0634.jpg

flying dutchman
08-16-2006, 10:05 AM
get yourself a nice set of titan fast trekkers
i had those tires and they hook up very well in soft ground as well as hard

BLACKeR
08-16-2006, 05:55 PM
holeshots and razers both are excellent all around MX tires, and kenda klaws are supposed to work quite well in the loose stuff. your turf tamers dont look all that bad though. you could try running a higher gear. in all honesty low traction situations are dificult on a 2-stroke. thats not to say you cant be as fast as a 4-stroke, it just takes more work. slip your clutch out of the corner while in a higher gear and that will help. also try rolling on the gas as you go through the corner instead of coasting through the corner and dropping the hammer on your way out. spinning out typically is the result of too much throttle.