PDA

View Full Version : Won't start in gear...

-copyguy-
08-14-2006, 08:27 AM
I bought my 2000 400ex last year. Ever since I got it, I've been able to start the quad in gear (w/ clutch pulled of course) with no problem.

So, I wrecked fairly hard a couple of weeks ago, rolling the quad over the bars...Now, I can only get the starter to kick in if I am in neutral. If I'm in first, second, etc. it acts like I don't have the key on.

I also noticed last night that my neutral light didn't seeem to be working properly, not coming on when I was in neutral.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm going to check for loose connections around the keyswitch/etc tomorrow night.

Thanks!

02440exkid
08-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Cut the connector off the end by the clutch lever and connect the two wires together. their are sevral post on this tpoic if you need more info

underpowered
08-14-2006, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by 02440exkid
Cut the connector off the end by the clutch lever and connect the two wires together. their are sevral post on this tpoic if you need more info

that has nothing to do with his problem. he said it will not start in gear even with the clutch pulled in. the clutch switch has nothing to do with starting in nuetral. i would check the Nuetral safety switch on the motor. i believe it is on the left side of teh motor near the shifter. should be one wire going to it.

Jakeyracer
08-14-2006, 01:35 PM
My 400ex has never been able to start in any gear ever. Is this like a hotwire thing to give it that ability to start in gear. It wont even aknowlage the starter button if it is in gear:confused:.

02440exkid
08-14-2006, 02:01 PM
he said it will not start in gear even with the clutch pulled in????

how would it start in gear with the clutch out:huh

400eXr1d3rZ
08-14-2006, 02:35 PM
he said it will not start in gear even with the clutch pulled in????

mine can do it, on a full battery

02440exkid
08-14-2006, 02:57 PM
lol

-copyguy-
08-14-2006, 03:10 PM

I put that in just for the sake of clarity...guess it worked real well, huh? :rolleyes:

-copyguy-
08-14-2006, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by underpowered
i would check the Nuetral safety switch on the motor. i believe it is on the left side of teh motor near the shifter. should be one wire going to it.

Thanks for the response underpowered.

Ok, I found it. It was secure, but I unplugged, blew it out, and replugged it. Still would not with trans out of neutral.

Started it in neutral and it was running rough, then started to run stronger.

While still in neutral, the neutral light went out and the quad started sputtering and died.

Now I can't get the neutral light to come back on and the starter just sits there and kicks over and over and over...like theres no spark now... wtf? It ran fine on the trails all day yesterday and started acting up last night when I gave the kids some rides...

Gas is on, quad is in neutral, air filter is clean...that leaves spark... maybe something is loose on the keyswitch or it's one of those deals where the wires up front have rubbed themselves raw.

I HATE tracing down wiring issues, but it looks like that's what I've got. Anyone else got any ideas? It'll probably be this weekend before I can take the time to get the plastics off of it to see what is going on up front, so any other ideas of what I should look for are appreciated.

Thanks!

02440exkid
08-14-2006, 06:34 PM
ya it's going to be a pain in the *** but just look over all the wiers it's prolly just something small good luck:D