PDA

View Full Version : Xtreme Typhoon 90 Ride Review

Pappy
08-14-2006, 06:50 AM
The new Typhoon 125 mini quad was scheduled to be ready for us to do a complete ride review and evaluation on, but delays getting them in the country had our dealer bringing us a Typhoon 90 to ride. The 125's are being fitted with stronger transmission gearing according to our source and will offer the buyer a 1 year warranty on the bottom end. While I could not confirm this, this is the information being released by an Xtreme dealer, and would benefit anyone purchasing the 125 model.

Never one to back away from a free day thrashing a quad, I tried to go into this with a completely open mind and see what we could find on the 90 model as it shares everything it's big brother will have to offer us except the larger displacement engine and the upgraded transmission. The dealer had broken in the engine and had set the Typhoon 90 up for sale, so this made a perfect test mule for our young rider to wring out.

Looking over the Typhoon had most people pointing out the obvious benefits the quad offers. Dual fully adjustable control arms, piggy back reservoir shocks that boast 7 inches of wheel travel and a unique rear suspension that utilizes what Xtreme calls its "Pit Pro Geometry". A closer inspection revealed a rear end set up that places a linkage type system that mates the pitbike shock to a quad style swing arm. This is obviously a pitbike that wanted to grow up to be a quad, and while it may be different then other models on the market, it actually did not preform all that bad when you consider the amount of work that went into making all the different components work together. This could lead to some having trouble working on the quad themselves, however it is all pretty basic. The rear master cylinder which operates the Single Hydraulic Disc rear brake looks complicated but I am happy to report that it worked and did not bind.

Our test rider was eager to get on the dirt for some riding, but we had to make a small change that you may notice in the pictures. Removal of the left brake lever was needed due to our test rider wanting to grab a handful of clutch which is not offered on this model. The first ride would be on a small pitbike track that offered very tame jumps so that he could get accustomed to the handling of the machine.

Pappy
08-14-2006, 06:58 AM
The restrictors were fully removed and the quad was jetted to run at our altitude. It's exhaust note is much louder then most new stock mini's quad's, and when compared to the Xtreme line of pitbike we found it to be of the same design. The center core of the silencer started rattling after 15 minutes of riding and will need to be re-welded in place.

The dealer had installled the 4th gear modifaction but informed us that after his testing he had to remove it due to an issue so we would be running the 3 speed as it came from the factory. There has been reported issues with this tranny having notchy shifting and while our rider found it difficult to shift under load, we found no failures during our testing.

The basic shake down ride did have our rider coming back into view carrying one of the heel gaurds that broke free from it's mounting, with the other being removed to prevent it from coming off during the harder riding sessions we were about to demand of this atv.

Pappy
08-14-2006, 07:07 AM
Before hitting the larger track, our rider complained of front end slop. Upon inspection we found the stem bushing to be the culprit. It appears the front neck found on the pitbike chassis is utilized on the quad chassis but uses a plastic bushing in place of a bearing set. This allowed the stem to be moved in a circular motion that made the handle bars go easily a 1/4 inch in a 360 degree arc. The dealer stated that he believed a shim would take up the slack but we opted to test the atv as it was sent to the public and would not wait for it to be repaired.

The larger track we tested on is designed for youth quad's under 200cc and would provide us with enough challenge to see what the 90 engine and the chassis had to offer us.

Our riders initial comments:

After my first few laps I thought the quad had really bad understeer. The first berm I hit at speed I thought the quad was going to flip as the front end dived on me. After I got used to the way it steered, it started doing better as I made the riding style changes needed to make it perform"

Pappy
08-14-2006, 07:14 AM
We checked over the front end to see if anything was obviously wrong and we found that the dealer had not set the front end up as well as it could have been. A properly set up front suspension can make all the difference in the world, but again, we opted to run the quad as it was delivered to us and base our evaluation on the complete package as any consumer would find in the marketplace.

The rear suspension claims 6.5 inches of travel and we used every inch of it. The design works to a point, but we found it to get very hard towards the bottom of its travel.

The Typhoon line comes stock with race ready tires and rims that are commonplace on most MX mini's.

Pappy
08-14-2006, 07:18 AM
The Xtreme dealer noticed smoke, and showed concern. The quad had not been run hard enough yet to pulled from the track so we decided to keep our testing schedule going and watch for anything more that could arise from the issue. After the first 15 minute track session, we checked all fluid levels and air filter and found nothing that indicated a problem.

The smoking issue never caused a power loss and it got no worse so we were instructed to keep riding it.

Pappy
08-14-2006, 07:21 AM
During one of our first inspections, the dealer started pointing out what he felt were areas that needed attention from the manufacture. Not excluding the stem play, welds were found to be sub par on several areas of the chassis.

Pappy
08-14-2006, 07:40 AM
An area on the swing arm started flaking chrome, and the dealer suspected a crack developing. It did not show any signs of a crack at the end of the day, but chrome flaking could be caused by stress.

Pappy
08-14-2006, 07:43 AM
The swing arm uses a round style carrier and is a huge improvement over the current models on the market. Our dealer pointed out that Xtreme does not send a spanner wrench for chain adjustments, and none of the one's he has would fit it. This is something I feel Xtreme should include with the tool kit.

Pappy
08-14-2006, 07:45 AM
I did not pay any attention to the nerf nets, but several parents that looked the quad over asked about replacement nets. These are sewn on and everyone said they would have prefered a more conventional set up. The pegs on the factory nerfs are wide, long and plenty sharp.

Pappy
08-14-2006, 07:49 AM
The front shocks had prospective buyers interests as the colors really made them stand out. A browse through the manual revealed no adjustment set up advice and from what we could tell were only ride height adjustable.

Our riders comments on the suspension:

The shocks were to soft all the way around for me. They bottomed out on every jump, the rear was not as bad. Bouncy on the straights and where braking bumps were but rideable.

Pappy
08-14-2006, 07:56 AM
Our rider did like the feel of the quad in the air and the overall feel of the quad was "light". From my perspective the quad seemed to work well.

Rider comments:

This would make a good quad for someone 8 or 9 years old after they fix the problems. I think anyone who is much older then that or more experienced then a beginner would run into problems. The frame could be snapped on an adult track, and Cross Country racing is out of the question in stock form. The steering slop slowed me down a lot in the corners and the front end seemed to pull me back to straight and I was having trouble bringing the rear end around.

Pappy
08-14-2006, 08:02 AM
Racing against a mildly modified 2 stroke showed that the 90 can compete. The race to the 1st turn was a wheel to wheel drag race that resulted in a tie, forcing rider skill to play on who would get the holeshot.

Pappy
08-14-2006, 08:11 AM
I think Xtreme is close on what they are trying to do. There are serious issues that need to be immediatley addressed and I hope Xtreme jumps on the correct fixes or even makes a running design change. The slop in the stem was the main downfall of this testing and everyone who felt the movement stepped back with a deer in the headlights look.

The 125cc version will be a runner, as I have first hand knowledge in it's capabilties, but the 90 was no slouch. I would put it slightly faster then a TRX90 with a pipe and air filter. The draw backs will be the overall design of this model and its limits will be found when pushed to todays levels.

Pappy
08-14-2006, 08:26 AM
Our dealer had the 90 model priced at $1999 and this is roughly the price you will find around the country.

Full technical specifications can be found on the Xtreme website.
Xtreme (http://www.xtrememotorco.com/showroom/default.aspx?ModelID=40)

Our test rider is 4'9" and weighs 107 pounds.

bracey
08-14-2006, 07:49 PM
very nicely put sounds like its not quite as bad as you first thought over all sounds like a pretty good reveiw

Pappy
08-14-2006, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by bracey
very nicely put sounds like its not quite as bad as you first thought over all sounds like a pretty good reveiw

It has some issues that I feel are unsafe and need attention, and the issues we did have cost the dealer several sales. It is far from being perfect, infact I wouldnt recomend (this particuliar atv) to anyone until the stem issue is fixed period. The other issues will show themselves as they are pushed to the limits, and honestly I dont think it will take it but time will tell. Writing a honest review and keeping my personal feelings out of it is hard, but I do not mind telling people how it is wether they like what I say or not. I do not want 1 person buying this or any product I review coming back in 30 days and telling me it was a waste of money.

As I stated in other threads, its a start. The bad part is that alot of money will be spent trying to fix things that should not need fixing from the manufacture. Adding aftermarket performance parts is one thing, but having to correct out right design flaws is another can of worms. (Issues I have with ANY manufacture)

I asked Cody(Our test rider) if he wanted a 90 to ride and he replied no. I will ask him that same question again after we ride the 125.

Mxjunkie
08-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Their new slogan will be " Cody proof " :p

Pappy
08-14-2006, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
Their new slogan will be " Cody proof " :p

Our dealer knows Cody well, and brought everything needed to rebuild the engine. thats not saying anything bad about Xtreme, thats saying how hard the boy rides. The dealer wanted a win and we gave him one

atv4kids
08-14-2006, 10:11 PM
Who as the dealer?
I appreciate your in depth review of the Typhoon, and glad you noted previously that the suggested price on this unit is $1999.00 US. My concern on the review is that you were basing your test and opinion on a production 90cc quad that is race ready, and I take exception if that is the case. I know of no production atv in that price category first of all to be race ready. Considering a new non race atv equals or exceeds this price. To be on par with or equal to the Cobra which I think is the bar everyone is measuring to these days which I might add, costs around $8K or more off the shelf and most put another 2 to 3 grand to make it race ready. I feel you should base your analysis on such a case. Not based on out of the box race bike.

Pappy
08-15-2006, 04:51 AM
I review the product as it is given to me, unbiased and factual based on what I find in the realm that most will use the product in the marketplace. We decided to test the atv on a track that is designed for the youth riders and allow it to perform at a level that showed what most any purchaser can expect.

This quad will need more then the $1999 purchase price if anyone intends on making it competitive with the other quads on the market on a true racing platform, and that does not include the issues I pointed out in the review that in my opinion should have been fixed before the atv left the manufacture.

If and when there are performance parts on the market that can be obtained and if we are asked to test a modified version of this atv with those parts we would gladly write another review. The testing performed to level our evaluation was done prior to our rider being asked to actually race the quad.

badvox
08-15-2006, 11:48 AM
I personally think the review was well written and honest.
Cody is definitely a good candidate to beat on that thing in testing. Too bad they didnt hire him to test it before it went to mass production.

There will always be a couple things needed to be done for track racing. Like on the Aasco/Apex/Extreme Pro Shark Mx quads. I guarantee you take that thing on a track without a swingarm gusset and re-weld of the gas tank mounts THEY WILL BREAK and BEND.

I know first hand. I was told, I didnt listen, and oopsie need to spend money now.

Good write up!!

Pappy
08-15-2006, 02:08 PM
Thanks badvox, and I hope everyone realizes that when I am tasked with a product review I do take it seriously and I know that what I write has reprocussions. I too can not understand why companies do not put the effort into proper R&D, but none that I have seen do.

And geuss what else folks, this is not a magazine. We actually ride these machines and have real honest to goodness mini test riders that will give us feedback. I can not stand reading a mini quad review and seeing a picture of an 8 year old with the front wheels 4 inches off the ground. If it will break or cause problems , I want to know about it and I assume most others in the market for the product want that info as well.

Cody is in discussions now to ride another manufactures mini in an upcoming GNCC race in the stock class....now that's asking for some serious testing:D

Pappy
08-16-2006, 07:05 PM
Some good support being shown as our dealer called tonight and is anxious to get Cody back on this quad for more testing. A few changes to teh quad per Xtreme's request and hopefully some issues will be straightened out.

I will keep everyone posted. I love having a local dealer that does not mind doing this sort of thing, I wish they were all as knowledgable about the products they sell!

Pappy
08-17-2006, 12:53 PM
We could have made alot of small adjustments, but we wanted it set up as if we were a newbie to the mini quad arena and test the quad as such. The only avaiable adjustment was preload/ride hiegth and there was not much adjustment to apply.

The suspension will be adjusted and actually the shocks themselves are being worked on so that we can really hammer the quad and see what it has. Riding it for the initial review on a small track where the largest jump is 30 feet and the maximum air is 3 feet is more then likely what most would allow or want thier child to be doing. Now that the first ride and review is over with, we intend on hammering it. The issue I have and have expressed to our dealer is the possible lack of power to get over the larger jumps on the adult track. The carb is being switched out and a gearing change made so hopefully the 90 engine is up to the task. (I would not hold it against it if it were not, our 125 barely had the power)

Cody said he did have to slide back on the seat to get the shifter (his foot) in a position to make it shift. The Honda he stated was easier to shift. I did have to modify his nerfs on his Honda to clearence his foot) The only thing he said negative about the shifting was that it did not want to shift under hard accelration, forcing him to let off the gas some to shift. This could be related to others who have complained of notchy shifting or it could be that he needs more seat time and the tranny could just be tight from being new. Our expierence with the Xtreme 125 showed that the tranny loosened up plenty but if failed also so I would not want to use that as a "what to expect" in this review.

And to address the frame breaking issue, this is not the 125 and we do not have a full days riding on it. The 125 should give us the power needed for the big track and we will see what breaks and what does'nt. My biggest fear is that the nerf bar mount(peg mount) does not hold up and that could get ugly. There is a limit as to what I will allow him to do if I feel this or any quad is not capable of taking what he can dish out. A broken leg or worse is not in our plans:p

Pappy
08-17-2006, 01:08 PM
As far as the 125cc, we know how well it can run, and we also know how fast it can break. I have my fingers crossed that the upgrades they have made or are making will add greatly to it's longevity. The difference between the 90, the mild TRX90 and the stock Xtreme 125 was huge, and I attribute that mainly to the manual clutch.

Spider 171
08-17-2006, 01:11 PM
How was the size compared to the Honda, Did he feel too big? Like I said my son is same height just a little thinner. Maybe move the shifter up a notch to fit boot in. I expect to make some mods. to it but I don't want to have to rebuild the whole thing? When you test the next one bring some scales???? See if it needs a diet? LOL

You actually ran some Xtreme motors on your Honda, and what probs. arose? You also ran the clutch too right. I just figure for a starting point into the shifter world this is a better start than the Honda due to the Price of Upgrades.

Thanks

Pappy
08-17-2006, 01:34 PM
I asked Cody and he said the Typhoon felt smaller to him, but between you and I they appear very close. He has grown a small bit and the last 90 he had was built so his size judgement may be off.

We ran the Xtreme 125cc manual clutch engine in our TRX90. It made 7.5 hp with a Robbs pipe on the dyno. A few issues relate we feel directly to running the TRX90 intake (so we could run an airbox) Running the open filter was a bit better, but just does not work on our tracks. Riding through a small wet area caused it problems BUT we ran NO outerwears. Jetting the Xtreme's in this area seems to be a problem, I have discussed this with a ton of pit bike racers and they all agree, but it very well could be the fuel being sold in the area. We never did get it perfect.

The manual clutch puts a ton of frame twisting torque on the mounts. It tweaked and broke every mount even after we reinforced them. If the manual clutch is used in the Xtreme, the pitbike chassis should hold up better, but keep an eye on the area directly infront of the center main tube as thats where the pitbike chassis likes to snap.

The lower end of the 125 was weak, but honestly we did not have another manual clutch engine to compare it to. Maybe Xtreme realizes this and that is why the tranny is being upgraded. Shift forks, clutch's and broken gears were the norm for us, but we beat it hard. If your kid rides in the back yard just about anything on the market will suit them.

I thought the quad was pretty light.

Arctic Cat Dad
08-17-2006, 07:29 PM
So Cody thinks this quad isn't a cross country racer. Why because of the weak frame or being to wide or the problem with rear not sliding very good.

Why do you think the rear is hard to get to stear. This is a huge problem because in cross country racing Michael stears as much with his butt then he does with the bars.:D

Did he think that it felt like your front end is to low. It looks like the front is lower then the rear and the kid looked like he was leaning over the bars alot.

But for 2 grand that is cheap. But I still think mikey could trash 1 in 2 days!

Have you had it in some extreme woods conditions yet? This is where the frame will be put to the test. It needs to see some bad off cambers and some tree jumping and some bolder bashing to see how it likes the real rocky {Masontown } conditions.

Pappy
08-17-2006, 08:03 PM
I think the front appears low due to the overall design of the fenders etc, but I will try and take a tape to it.

I will also measure its dimensions if they are not on Xtremes site, maybe its to square:p A bit narrower in the rear may help.

Yes, he was fighting to steer it, I didnt realize it showed in the pics.

No woods, dry woods would be the only shot at testing it, but I dont think its to wide. The 90 power would just be unsatisfactory for Cody in the woods.

We did enough damage in 2 hours we rode it, give us a few more to see what it will take:p

Pappy
08-17-2006, 08:06 PM
I will post a few pictures from the testing

Pappy
08-17-2006, 08:08 PM

Pappy
08-17-2006, 08:11 PM

Pappy
08-17-2006, 08:13 PM

Pappy
08-17-2006, 08:14 PM

Pappy
08-17-2006, 08:15 PM

Pappy
08-17-2006, 08:16 PM

Pappy
08-17-2006, 08:18 PM

Pappy
08-17-2006, 08:24 PM

Pappy
08-17-2006, 08:27 PM

Rey Deleon
08-18-2006, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by bracey

I agree. Pappy I think your review was open minded and pointed out some areas that need to be bolstered if the purchaser is to make it into a seriuos racer. I am pleased that the Typhoon offers an excellent platform to start from and at an attractive price.

Pappy
08-18-2006, 01:54 PM
Our dealer just called and cancelled this weekends testing. The engine is knocking, the electrical wiring was replaced due to failure and when re fired there was enough noise coming from the bottom end to justify not running it. Rapping in the tranny is how he put it.

Arctic Cat Dad
08-19-2006, 04:49 PM
So I take it riping thru the gears while pinned wide open is out of the question? The Honda will handle that all day long !:D :D

The engine is knocking after 2 hrs of riding.

paroth
08-20-2006, 09:05 AM
We also have a 90 and one thing I have noticed is that if it is bottomed out the swingarm hits the bottom of the rear brake master cylinder and applies the rear brakes. I havent figured out how to fix this yet but any thoughts would be appreciated. As for the front end , once I set it up right it handeled alot better. I have Fox air shocks I was saving for our 125 but I think I will put them on the 90 to start dialing them in...

paroth
08-20-2006, 09:08 AM
forgot pics

paroth
08-20-2006, 09:11 AM
another

paroth
08-20-2006, 09:12 AM
aint this cool....

dodgepower
08-21-2006, 04:51 AM
that does look cool

317GRFX-John
08-21-2006, 04:25 PM
If this is not a good quad for cross country racing was is. And what mods need to be done? My son is 10yrs old, 70lb., 54" tall. Any help would be great. Trying to buy something in the next week or 2.

Pappy
08-21-2006, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by 317GRFX-John
If this is not a good quad for cross country racing was is. And what mods need to be done? My son is 10yrs old, 70lb., 54" tall. Any help would be great. Trying to buy something in the next week or 2.

Not to place any manufacture over the other in the market, but having a good sealed intake is the first step for any XC mini, atleast on the east coast:p

Dependability and finishing races is the most important factor in my opinion, and all models can share similiar problems when XC racing is on the plate.

After those two issues, it can be argued over which is best and why.

Arctic Cat Dad
08-21-2006, 09:08 PM
Buy an 06 or 07 Honda trx 90 and sink around 6 grand or so into it and you have the XC machine. That's what I'm gonna do. That's what were doing to our 06 Honda.

317GRFX-John
08-21-2006, 09:29 PM
8 to 9 grand for a quad that a kid is going to out grown in 2 yrs., I just need something to get him started. Extreme 90, Kasea, Honda, Polaris? Best bang for the buck. I will 1 day put 10 to 15 grand into my sons quad for racing. When he stops growing as fast as he is now. And when is ready for a 450cc. Then the sky is the limit. I have 13 grand in my quad that I have been racing for 3 years. So when the time is right I spend the big bucks. Just need something so so compeditive for now.

Livin4Real
08-21-2006, 10:41 PM
look around the classifieds in the forums and you'll be able to pick up a trx90 race ready relatively cheap.

Pappy
08-22-2006, 04:50 PM
Xtreme has contacted me and informed me that the information on what will be done to the 125 transmission may have been inaccuratley posted by me. They are informing me that it will be a complete new tranny , not just a gear change so this is deffinatley a positive.

I still havent heard anything further on the model we tested, I havent heard to many small engines that did not make noise so I have my fingers crossed he is using caution.

The electrical problem was due to the key switch, which offers a steering lock. If you go a position to far it will act like the battery is stone dead, but in reality it is merely in the locked position.

number52
08-24-2006, 03:10 PM
I will have Xtreme Typhoon 125's in stock on Tuesday, August 29th!

predator dad
08-25-2006, 02:43 AM
What's the price and where are you located?

Northernrider
08-25-2006, 04:39 AM
Does anyone know if there is a dealer in Ontario canada and or near the boarder, such as Bufalo?

Northernrider
08-25-2006, 09:00 AM
My boy races in a class that can not exceed 100cc so i would need to stick to the 90, i am getting mixed feelings on the reviews from this forum but i think that for the cost its a good deal and i feel that i could strengthen the bike well enough for him to race it here, does this dealer have the performance goods on hand for it as well

Thanks

number52
08-25-2006, 10:51 AM
There is no set retail. But my price is $2500. A lot are charging more than this though.

predator dad
08-26-2006, 03:02 AM
number52, where are you located? I'm in Delaware. I'm interested in a blue 125.

Pappy
08-26-2006, 05:34 AM
Dealer Locator (http://www.xtrememotorco.com/dealer-locator/)

number52
08-26-2006, 09:03 AM
I'm located in Illinois, but I would recommend purchasing one from a local dealer if there is one close to you. I have 4 coming next week and all are sold. I have 10 total coming as of now. I will be at the final GNC at Ballance Moto X next weekend. I will try and have at least 1 there for anyone that wants to see one. I probably won't have a very good parking spot because I will get there Friday due to setting up and selling all of the Typhoons coming in. Man it's going to be a busy week!

Rey Deleon
08-28-2006, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Northernrider
My boy races in a class that can not exceed 100cc so i would need to stick to the 90, i am getting mixed feelings on the reviews from this forum but i think that for the cost its a good deal and i feel that i could strengthen the bike well enough for him to race it here, does this dealer have the performance goods on hand for it as well

Thanks

I had the same reservations as you however once I realized that the quad has a good platform to start from and as long as there is a good pit bike tuner or parts shop your still in business.

I happen to be a dealer in Parker, AZ and we have been associated with some good races in the pit bike series. I was blown away at how much can be done to a stock CRF 50 type engine. in fact BBR racing has a 119cc pumping out a claimed 16 horsepower. to know this same engine or simalarly tuned engine can be transplanted into a Typhoon (any Typhoon) is awesome. :muscle:

jcdixon
12-05-2006, 05:57 PM
could you race xc with the extreme 125

Spider 171
12-06-2006, 03:15 PM
I have seen where they are on sale? Christmas special?