PDA

View Full Version : Semi Mud Tires

firefighterjosh
08-14-2006, 02:27 AM
Since I know what kind of 4x4 I am getting (King Quad) I will prally get Mud Tires and Rims first thing. (After I change the filter to a Foam instead of the stupid paper)

I will ride in the woods and semi hard packed ground prabably 50% of the time, then 10% Sand and 40% Mud.

What kind of Mud Tires you think would be good? I was thinking of the good year mudrunners or ITP 589m/s or Kenda Gator. I want more of a mud tire but won't wear funny or shake me to death going down the road to the riding spot. Also I want something that handles decent.

I also want new rims, I want something that is strong and reasonable. They don't have to look pretty. I want 2 sets of rims m(stocks and aftermarket) due to during the farming season I do alot of road riding.

Thanks

Quad18star
08-14-2006, 10:31 AM
I have a set of 27" ITP 589s and ITP C-Series rims . Out of all the tires I've ever tried ( with big lugs) , these are the only ones that haven't rattled my arms off .

I like the way they direct the mud and snow out of the tire so that it doesn't slick up , unlike a few other tire companies .

As far as rims , I have no complaint with the ITP rims . They seem to be pretty tough . I wish Hiper had their Utility rims available though , cuz I'd have a set . :p

firefighterjosh
08-15-2006, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I have a set of 27" ITP 589s and ITP C-Series rims . Out of all the tires I've ever tried ( with big lugs) , these are the only ones that haven't rattled my arms off .

I like the way they direct the mud and snow out of the tire so that it doesn't slick up , unlike a few other tire companies .

As far as rims , I have no complaint with the ITP rims . They seem to be pretty tough . I wish Hiper had their Utility rims available though , cuz I'd have a set . :p

did they suck much power?

Trx4Life
08-16-2006, 03:00 PM
The new mudlight xtr might be worth looking into. its Made to be a dule purpose tire. Very good reviews from what I hear.

Quad18star
08-16-2006, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
did they suck much power?

I have a Dalton clutch kit , K&N filter and a Jet kit and I don't find there's much power loss compared to a stock Grizzly . I may have lost top end speed , but how fast can you really go in tight woods on a Ute .

The grizzly still has enough power to throw a roost in the mud with these tires on .

firefighterjosh
08-16-2006, 08:40 PM
How r they Mudlite XTRs? I don't want to loose much performance. I will be mainly riding causal trails and some mud. But I will also be racing GP Utility Class.

Quad18star
08-16-2006, 09:56 PM
Your best bet if you're going to be racing , would probably be Maxxis Bighorns ( i think that's what they're called) . I know a guy that has a set and they seem pretty awesome . I might invest in a set sooner or later.

firefighterjosh
08-16-2006, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Your best bet if you're going to be racing , would probably be Maxxis Bighorns ( i think that's what they're called) . I know a guy that has a set and they seem pretty awesome . I might invest in a set sooner or later.

Well I will be racing XC on my 416ex.

GP was fun, and I would like to try the utility class. but I will only race about 6 - 9 times a year with my 4x4. So I don;t think I would get the use out of the Maxxis tires. I will ride in alot more mud then I will be racing. I will be getting new rims with the mud tires on them and leave the other as stockers since I road ride alot in the summer to get from farm to farm. I heard the maxxis are not good mud tires????

Trx4Life
08-17-2006, 03:39 AM
I still think the XTR is about the best dule purpose tire around.

I have something a little different in mind for my 4x4... http://www.intercotire.com/piclib/551.jpg