PDA

View Full Version : airbox lifter? what is it for?

DirtDevilBT
08-13-2006, 11:40 PM
Hi, don't know if I need this but I just bought the 17" long travel Elka shock with dual linkage. I was wondering what the lifter is supposed to be for. Thanks

Crashmore 22
08-13-2006, 11:42 PM
To keep the shock from hitting the airbox.

DirtDevilBT
08-14-2006, 04:05 PM
I don't see how that can happen? Maybe the swingarm hitting it during full compression but the shock is to far forward to hit the airbox. I thought it was for the shock too but doesn't look like it, plus I wasn't told I'd have a problem with the long travel shock doing this. Maybe that was "left out". lol

The lifter doesn't affect anything right? It seem the intake boot might be moved but is that it?

Anyone use one of these?

iceracer65
08-15-2006, 08:49 AM
yea so the swingarm dont hit, i think the rear brake caliper too?

you dont want to bust an airbox on the first lap on a dusty track.

DirtDevilBT
08-15-2006, 12:51 PM
ahh ha. Thanks

Houser is the only available one? Any others?
Heck I'd rather just make my own, seems real easy if I had a templete.

Dave400ex
08-15-2006, 12:55 PM
I don't think you need it for the Elka setup. Just the Houser and ArsFX have the lifter kits.

tltcracing
08-15-2006, 03:52 PM
i have mesured it on my LT lonestar/elka setup and it will hit it. just ask natalie, it happened to him at a mid season race last year. i think you could make one and they are very good for the pecace of mind they give you.

DirtDevilBT
08-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Well, huh, I called up Elka yesturday and asked them if it was something that I need with my set up. The guy said no. Didn't give me much of an explanation but said that was only for houser swingarms. :huh

tltcracing
08-16-2006, 02:03 PM
well if elka said no then its no. i didnt ever have a prob with it hitting the air box before but it alwase worried me. houser might just use higher link mounts on their swinger.

gbcap
08-16-2006, 02:18 PM
the caliper will hit the exhaust not the air box.

the s/a is what hits the box. mine comes very close even with the lifter kit. it doesn't lift the front much if any...only the rear which takes the shock hitting out of the equation, that isn't what it hits, it hits the s/a.

i took the crank breather out and cut a notch in the top of the box to put it into the air box there and not in thru the side.

Dave400ex
08-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Well a new airbox is only $35 from Service Honda so that's not a big deal if something happens to it, unless you don't notice and ride like that for a while.

gbcap
08-17-2006, 12:52 PM
but if you hit it every time you bottom out that is no good either. spend the 55 if you need it and save yourselve the trouble.