PDA

View Full Version : brakes arent working well

04exrdr
08-13-2006, 10:52 PM
when i first got my quad the brakes used 2 b real good i would endo when i pulled in the front brake.....after a while it stopped......over the weekend i changed my brakes and still i dont get them working like they used 2......ne1 kno y? its a 300ex btw...

firefighterjosh
08-14-2006, 02:11 AM
Did you bleed the air out of them?

04exrdr
08-14-2006, 10:15 AM
no....i didnt think i had 2.....the person that was with me told me that i only do that when i change the fluid? but i guess i still hav 2?

redexrider
08-14-2006, 10:56 AM
yes you still should bleed the brakes. By messing with the calipers you can allow air in the sytem. It is always a safe bet to bleed the brakes after ANY brake work.

bwamos
08-14-2006, 12:03 PM
:huh

If you're system is sealed.. and you ahve not unsealed it to allow air into the system, there should be no air in the system.

Odds are his brakes aren't grabbing as hard because they have not seated into the existing profile of the disk. In other words he's probably not at full surface contact yet since the face of the disks are never perfect.

Once the brakes wear down a tad and mate perfectly, it should grab a lot harder. It's a lot like breaking in anything.

He also may not be using the same break pad material. Long life pads are harder, and don't grab as well.

04exrdr
08-14-2006, 01:43 PM
no im usin the same stock honda pads....i tried bleeding it that didnt help so hopefully the wearin it will.

firefighterjosh
08-14-2006, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by 04exrdr
no im usin the same stock honda pads....i tried bleeding it that didnt help so hopefully the wearin it will.

Just make sure you bleed them correctly otherwise you will just suck more air into them

04exrdr
08-14-2006, 08:54 PM
alrite....i'll try......i jus take those caps off and pump the brake rite?....also bwamos said it wasnt required?

JOEX
08-15-2006, 08:54 PM
When just replacing the pads bleeding the lines isn't usually needed. It is recommended to change the fluid once a year though.

firefighterjosh
08-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by 04exrdr
alrite....i'll try......i jus take those caps off and pump the brake rite?....also bwamos said it wasnt required?

See this thread for the steps

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=248924

04exrdr
08-16-2006, 09:28 PM
yeah it was about wearin em in....theyre perfect now

firefighterjosh
08-16-2006, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
:huh

Odds are his brakes aren't grabbing as hard because they have not seated into the existing profile of the disk. In other words he's probably not at full surface contact yet since the face of the disks are never perfect.

Once the brakes wear down a tad and mate perfectly, it should grab a lot harder. It's a lot like breaking in anything.

He also may not be using the same break pad material. Long life pads are harder, and don't grab as well.

Good Call!