PDA

View Full Version : piston?

02440exkid
08-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Hi well giving my jug to an engine shop tomorrow to get heavy duty head studs put in and get it bored out to a 416 do most shops wont the piston when they bore it?

wilkin250r
08-13-2006, 07:11 PM
Most shops? YES! ALL SHOPS want the piston when they bore it.

If you ever find a shop willing to bore it without the piston, do NOT go there for any engine work EVER.

exrider008
08-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Most shops? YES! ALL SHOPS want the piston when they bore it.

If you ever find a shop willing to bore it without the piston, do NOT go there for any engine work EVER.

ya if they r willing to bore it without the piston they they do some pritty chitty work. they need the piston so they can bore it to the right size.

02440exkid
08-14-2006, 10:27 AM
all right thanx

F-16Guy
08-14-2006, 10:36 AM
Make sure they use a "roll form" tap when they install the heavy duty studs. Instead of cutting material away to make the new threads, a roll form tap compresses the surrounding metal to form the new threads. That makes the threads more dense and much stronger. If you want some details to give to the shop, GT Thunder has some install instructions on their website that include installed height of each stud. The drill and tap sizes may or may not apply, depending on what studs you have, but the rest of the information should help a lot in making sure they are installed correctly.

02440exkid
08-14-2006, 11:32 AM
thanx for telling me that but when i go the head stud from gtthunder it came with instrutions:D

F-16Guy
08-14-2006, 11:50 AM
I wasn't sure if you got the studs from them. I had them installed after I blew the second gasket (happened right after the first, so I knew what the problem was). They are a lot sturdier than stock, and I've had zero problems since. I would just stress to the shop how important it is to use the right tap so they don't cut any corners.

02440exkid
08-14-2006, 12:07 PM
ya Well thanx for letting my know if I got them from some where else I prolly wouldn't have know thanx. Ya I'm trying to do every thing right and not cut corners so it will be as reliable as possible. :D