PDA

View Full Version : Power for computer and pulse per revolution info

Iliketogofast
08-13-2006, 07:00 PM
Which wire coming from the stator is power? I had the computer (trail tech vapor) hooked to the white wire, which I know is the lights, but it doesn't work very well, especially with the lights on... So I need to know which wire is the actual power wire.

When the lights are on the computer gets good power, but the tach doesn't register right. It only reaches like 4 grand, but when i turn lights off it works right... So I figured it was because I had it ran to the lights.

Also, what do I need to enter for the pulse per revolution field. There are wo fields that will allow for .5, 1 or 2 and there is one four digit field. I don't even know what that means, so what do I put?

Thanks

wilkin250r
08-13-2006, 07:16 PM
Doesn't your manual come with this information? If not, couldn't you call Trail Tech and ask them?

The white wire is indeed the power wire, but I don't know how to hook it up exactly, because I don't know what the computer is looking for.

Iliketogofast
08-13-2006, 07:43 PM
The manual didn't say anything about the PPR info, and it's too late to call. I'm trying to get it working tonight so I can use it tomorrow.

The problem is really weird... When the lights are off the screen's LEDs blink when I rev, and when they are on the screen maintains a consistent light but the tach doesn't register right. It is too low.

The computer has 4 wires. Speedo pickup, tach pickup, water pickup and power, and I was supposed to wire the power wire from one of the stator wires so I used what I thought would work, the lights. I didn't splice, I looped the wire in the plug in connector because I didn't know if I was supposed to use the light wire or not.

And I really have no idea about that PPR info.

Iliketogofast
08-13-2006, 07:53 PM
It says specifically "Ignition leads from stator".

I think I figured out why it doesnt give RPMs correctly. It shows a picture in the manual of the rpm probe wrapped around the coil on the rubber insulator sleeve coming from the actual coil instead of the actual spark plug wire. That doesn't explain why it changes when the lights are on. Maybe my stator is screwed and it isn't making enough power for the light and the CPU.... All it uses it for are the 5 LEDs that backlight the screen, though.

wilkin250r
08-13-2006, 08:14 PM
What kind of power is the computer looking for? Your electrical system is going to be AC on the 250r, but I don't know too many computers that are designed to run off 15V AC power. Generally, they are designed for DC power. That's probably the first issue you should figure out.

As for PPR, there are a few different ways to hook up a tachometer. For outboard boat motors, most are connected to the actual POWER output. Each of the power coils on the stator produces a pulse, so if you have an 8-pole stator, 8 pulses equals one revolution. Some are 4-pole, some are 6-pole, and some are like 20-pole.

However, most motorcycle tachometers use the SPARK to calculate RPM, not the power pulses. It is connected to the ignition coil. For a 4-cylinder streetbike, the coil produces 4 sparks for each revolution. A twin cylinder produces 2 sparks per revolution, a single cylinder produces 1 spark per revolution. Whether 2 or 4-stroke, because most 4-strokes have a phantom spark on the exhaust stroke as well. This is why you have a 4, 2, and 1 PPR settings. However, there are a few motorcyles that produce spark ONLY on the compression stroke, so you have one spark for TWO revolutions. This is why you also have a setting for .5

Iliketogofast
08-13-2006, 08:50 PM
It says the external power source is 9.0-400 VAC/VDC and then something about polarity indepenence.

wilkin250r
08-14-2006, 02:57 PM
Ok, it sounds like the input is compatable. Polarity independence is good, it means it doesn't matter which is positive and negative, or if it's AC or DC. You can hook it up any way.

And your stator certainly produces enough power to run the lights and the computer at the same time. Your lights are going to probably be about 55watts, your computer is probably only pulling about half a watt at most. I don't think it's possible for you to be overloading your stator. That's like adding a few marbles in your pocket when you ride, and claiming the extra weight is bogging down your quad.

Without being there in person, I don't think I can help you. I'd talk to trail tech about it.

Iliketogofast
08-14-2006, 04:30 PM
Okay, thanks a lot anyways. I'm going to call right now.

Iliketogofast
08-14-2006, 06:38 PM
I called and he said to wire it to the kill switch, and I did. It seems like it works fine, but whenever I rev up high it acts like it is hitting a rev limit. When I unplug the computer wire, it goes back to normal.... Wtf?

Aceman
08-14-2006, 06:45 PM
Call them back. Clearly it's a problem with their product and not the quad if it only does it when it's hooked up. They made it, so they would know better than anyone else how to make it work.

Iliketogofast
08-14-2006, 07:30 PM
Yeah, but when I call the guy acts like he doesn't know what I'm talking about. He had to get off the phone and call me back just to tell me what wire I was actually supposed to hook it to, and even then he simply said "the switch". That's why I was trying to get help here.

This thing is a real pain in the ***.

Aceman
08-14-2006, 08:48 PM
I don't know what to tell you man, but I'd call them back. This time tell them it still isn't working correctly and you want to talk to a tech not a salesman. Just tell them "how am I supposed to get this to work if you guys don't even know how to make it work." If one of their tech's can't take the time to go through this step-by-step to get this problem resolved, I'd tell them I'm sending it back for a full refund. Along with mentioning the fact that your problem is being posted on Atvriders for the world to see, along with their poor tech service. If that doesn't motivate them to do something about it, nothing will. No sense running a product the manufacturer isn't even willing to provide good customer support for. But that's JMO.

08-15-2006, 07:32 AM
is your only problem when the power lead is attached to the quad? if it is, there is an internal battery that is replacable and lasts a long time. i am going on 2 years onmy endurance computer battery. just leave the power lead off if that is the case

Iliketogofast
08-15-2006, 08:34 AM
Yeah, but if I leave the power lead off I won't have the backlight anymore and without the backlight I can't even see it in the woods, let alone in the dark.

08-15-2006, 08:44 AM
the back light is still there..just not as bright...

do you have it well grounded?