PDA

View Full Version : Blew my motor!

450r51
08-13-2006, 05:40 PM
well it happened, i blew my motor on thursday. the crank bearing failed and it took out the whole bottom end. thank god the top end was fine, the cylinder only needs a hone, and my $500 ported head was fine.

well it took everything out in the bottom, cases,crank, u name it.

my question is whats the strongest crank out there? stock? aftermarket? also what other internal engine components are better then stock? now i know alot of the stock stuff is better but i want to know which parts arent.

also as for my clutch i heard the stock plates or something were the strongest? but again what is the best combo with the clutch?

i dont want to spare ne expense in this rebuild, so if any one can help me plz chime in. also what do yall recommend for pistons?

TMSmx47
08-13-2006, 07:50 PM
My 04 was about to do the same thing. I caught the knock in time so I didn't lose everything. I replaced my crank bearings with OEM, OEM crank halfs with HOTRODs crank pin, roller bearing, and rod. New OEM seals, OEM clutch.. Mostly OEM stuff cuz Honda has a good rep for strength. Rod kit was like $140.

K_Fulk
08-13-2006, 08:15 PM
I would look into falicon's cranks.

450r51
08-14-2006, 06:48 AM
yea i know most of the honda stuff will be the best, but i want to know what parts are stronger/better then the oem stuff.

and it sucks because i didnt hear any knocking what so ever, the biatch just died.

ThumPIN_450R
08-14-2006, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by 450r51
yea i know most of the honda stuff will be the best, but i want to know what parts are stronger/better then the oem stuff.

and it sucks because i didnt hear any knocking what so ever, the biatch just died.

I know what that's all about I've got three cranks that did that plus my crank that threw the rod out the front of the motor. Look into falicon or just about anything besides OEM cranks I feel that they just don't have what it takes to hold up to wide open high RPM racing abuse. Don't be like me and try to keep replacing with OEM do it right the first time.

quadwanter
08-14-2006, 07:55 PM
what kind of knocking would you hear? really loud or just a soft ticking?

TMSmx47
08-14-2006, 08:15 PM
Sometimes what you think is knocking could just be the timing chain.. Which is a pretty good sign to replace that! If you change your piston its always good to give the connecting rod a feel or a shake. Thats a good way to determine if you need to replace that, then once your in there you most likely would replce the crank bearings. All this will save you alot of money. technicaly your supposed to change the piston every 10-14 hours or somethin like that away. Therefore you should be able to dertermine how the cranks doin before you lose the bottom end. Just my opinion and .02 cents

quadwanter
08-14-2006, 08:25 PM
hmm....alright so how does the knocking compare to the sound of the aftermarket cam? I hear a ticking but just though it was the cam?....sorry not to hijack this thread, just thought it'd bring some valuable information to it :D

hardkoratvmxr
08-14-2006, 08:41 PM
get a falicon crank and rod

Edawg112091
08-15-2006, 10:27 PM
My lower Pin bearings went out on ours and we kinda go lucky cause it just stopped the motor and it was locked up, And im gonna order the parts soon. :( :(

TMSmx47
08-15-2006, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by quadwanter
hmm....alright so how does the knocking compare to the sound of the aftermarket cam? I hear a ticking but just though it was the cam?....sorry not to hijack this thread, just thought it'd bring some valuable information to it :D

You would definitely know the difference. The light ticking could be cam noise or light valve tap. Thats all a ticking sound. A knocking sound is gonna be pretty easy to notice the difference. its like a small hammer from inside the case..lol.. not sure how else to explain!

chad502ex
08-16-2006, 01:26 PM
sorry to hear this. sounds like you'll build better than before. good luck.

450r51
08-17-2006, 09:01 AM
hey chad you got ne suggestions, on a piston or a crank, or nething else? im not much of a motor guy.

this is what i was thinking, rebuild it completly, go with a falicon 470 crank with a je 13:1, i already have a ported head for mx, hrc cam and i was thinking about getting a 41mm fcr.

i think that set up should get me moving:cool:

jvd182
08-17-2006, 10:26 AM
Chris, howd you manage this? area 51?

chad502ex
08-17-2006, 10:36 AM
hey chad you got ne suggestions, on a piston or a crank, or nething else? im not much of a motor guy.

this is what i was thinking, rebuild it completly, go with a falicon 470 crank with a je 13:1, i already have a ported head for mx, hrc cam and i was thinking about getting a 41mm fcr.

i think that set up should get me moving:cool:

all sounds good. I'm a firm believer of Falicon. I 've seen countless quality coming from them.

Remember that these engines love to be oversquared- meaning fast revers with their reduced stroke.

480's is the biggest i would bore and not stroke. If I were to build a 480 for myself, I would do the following:
Falicon crank blueprinted and balanced to the piston pack
480 Ice Cube cylinder kit.
HRC or HC2
+1mm Ferrea exhaust valves
Ferrea intake valves
of coarse my porting (daaa).
custom exhaust rocker
taper bored carb.
DASA exhaust or new version of Rossier for 04/05
reprogrammed Dynatek ignition.
FCI intake (more to come on this real soon,....)

Nick110
08-17-2006, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by jvd182
Chris, howd you manage this? area 51?

Nope, Savannah MX.

Its gay there if you were wondering, Chris said it was the worest track ever.

jvd182
08-17-2006, 06:42 PM
Ah duh, there going to join d4, you expect it to be a good track?

450r51
08-17-2006, 08:26 PM
ya jon, that truck sucked we were doing every jump the second lap, biggest jump is a 50 ft double and thats being generous.

and its a sand track so it sucks. but yea i blew my motor and it sucks.

oh and chad, thanks for the insight, although i thought that stroking it was more reliable then boring it?

chad502ex
08-19-2006, 07:12 AM
oh and chad, thanks for the insight, although i thought that stroking it was more reliable then boring it?

It can be just as reliable if the builder is interested in making it last for the customer. ;)