PDA

View Full Version : Question about valves

biggie400ex
08-13-2006, 03:58 PM
OK I have four bent valves.....Where is the best place to buy valves? Should I just get honda valves or is there an aftermarket for them? Any other info I should know? TIA

Eric

redexrider
08-13-2006, 06:22 PM
You can get aftermarket valves but one valve will run you the price of all four OEM honda valves. If your engine is not highly modded then you don't need to get aftermarket stronger ones. Stock ones will work just fine for you. How in the world did you end up with all 4 bent??

cals400ex
08-13-2006, 06:23 PM
i would get the ferrea or kibble white valves. i got 4 for my 450 for around $100. i have no idea what the honda ones cost though..

biggie400ex
08-14-2006, 08:21 AM
my timing chain tensioner broke and it jumped out of time.

When replacing the valve do I need to replace the seals, springs, and all that other stuff? or just the valve.

Eric

underpowered
08-14-2006, 09:53 AM
Kibble white valves are actually about the same price as factory honda valves. they usually run about $30-35 each. i would get new seals, but sprigs are up to you. a spring kit usually runs about $200.

redexrider
08-14-2006, 10:46 AM
ok I guess I didn't say it how I wanted to. If you are buying aftermarket and UPGRADING them to more solid ones, then they will run you alot more. The kibble whites are not much different than stock ones, that is why they cost around the same as OEM. Look at the high grade solid steel ones and they run about $300 for them.

GPracer2500
08-14-2006, 11:15 AM
The springs have a minimum free length specification. Basically, you measure how tall they are and if they're too short they're sacked-out and need to be replaced. On my last rebuild about half my springs were out of spec.

underpowered
08-14-2006, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by redexrider
ok I guess I didn't say it how I wanted to. If you are buying aftermarket and UPGRADING them to more solid ones, then they will run you alot more. The kibble whites are not much different than stock ones, that is why they cost around the same as OEM. Look at the high grade solid steel ones and they run about $300 for them.

Kibble whites are much different than stock. stock valves are jsut a mild steel for the intake and hardened steel for the exhaust. Kibble white valves are stainless steel. they are much higher quality than OEM even though they are about the same price. The Black Diamond valves are some great valves for just about any motor. higher cost does not always equal higher quality.

biggie400ex
08-14-2006, 01:24 PM
Thanks guys...I just ordered OEM valves and seals. Hope that works. Its a stock motor and I was just curious if an aftermarket was cheaper.

I also found out it wasn't bored like the previous owner said it was. Oh well.

Thanks

Eric