PDA

View Full Version : She ran, she gave up again...

DieselBoy
08-13-2006, 03:08 PM
My 400ex has been a nightmare to say the least, and tha's probably an understatement. Anyway...

I put a brand new electrosport stator w/ new pickup coil in and right after it started and ran great. After riding it a bit, shutting it off, i tried to start it, and it's acting just like before when the stator went. I can't imagine why it would fry already. It's brand new. Can a CDI be linked to a backfire/kick but a no start condition? I know a CDI can cause alot of spark issues, and Im positive that's the problem. Now, I just need to know what to do about the CDI. It's possible the stator may have taken a dump again but I'm hoping it's just a CDI.

It trys and trys to go, but it's just not enough. I'm thinking if i slap a new CDI on it will go, or, i may be left in the same situation all over again.

WHAT symptoms comes with your failed CDIs?
I need some help, I'm probably going to sell it for dirt cheap just to get it off my shoulders if I can't get this thing running with a new CDI/simple fix. the stators from Oceanside, CA. It costs 15 bucks to ship it back and forth...so I really dont want to do that again. It's just really weird how it could fluff up so fast if it indeed was the stator.

Any and all input is appreciated.

bansheexcracer2
08-13-2006, 05:12 PM
If you take it to a shop they can put it on a tester and tell you what electric componant if any is bad.

DieselBoy
08-13-2006, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by bansheexcracer2
If you take it to a shop they can put it on a tester and tell you what electric componant if any is bad.

oh, i know. for $90 dollars, i'll pass.

wilkin250r
08-13-2006, 07:02 PM
How much did you pay for a new stator?

You probably don't have thousands of dollars to spend, but I would certainly suggest throwing a few hundred dollars at your quad to get it running, rather than dump it for dirt cheap and taking a loss. If nothing else, you can easily sell a running quad for hundreds of dollars more than a non-running pile of parts.

I'd try a new CDI, and a new coil. Forget aftermarket, go with OEM. Yeah, it's more expensive, but it's guarenteed to work. That's my philosophy. If you're chasing a difficult and unknown problem, always go OEM.

DieselBoy
08-13-2006, 07:13 PM
i bought it from electrosport (www.electrosport.com) and it was 170 all said and done. its a 200W High output stator.
the coils ok, and its either: Wire harness, CDI, or stator.

the stator came with the 4 pin plug, and all matching colors with a new pickup coil, its virtually the same as the stock model.

RiderTRX400ex
08-14-2006, 11:38 AM
if you got a buddy with a 400ex, try his CDI.. takes a couple seconds to get it off..

bwamos
08-14-2006, 11:58 AM
You aren't running a timing advance key, and an aftermarket CDI are you?

DieselBoy
08-14-2006, 02:39 PM
unfortunately don't know anyone with a 400ex that i can swap the CDI with. And there is no modifcations to the flywheel advance, the CDI is stock.

1fst400
08-14-2006, 10:42 PM
I have a 400ex wiring harness laying around my shop. the teather and key where robed, but the rest is there. Has a wb cdi that I know worked when I took it off the quad due to motor swap. Let me know if you want it. Its layin under my tool box as of now.

DieselBoy
08-14-2006, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by 1fst400
I have a 400ex wiring harness laying around my shop. the teather and key where robed, but the rest is there. Has a wb cdi that I know worked when I took it off the quad due to motor swap. Let me know if you want it. Its layin under my tool box as of now.

maybe.... how much you want?

DieselBoy
08-15-2006, 04:51 PM
just another question before i fork out all kinds of money for a CDI...

What symptoms come with a faulty/failing CDI?

- Do they work sometimes, and not others?
- Can they cause difficulty starting?
- Do they produce spark at all?
- A little?
- None?
- Can they make it fire every couple rotations, consistantly?
- What specific symptoms are shown?
- Is it common for a Ignition control module (CDI) to dump being an electrical component?

My stator literally has 5 minutes on it. I can't imagine why it would bite the dust. It's MIND BLOWING. If it did, I'm going to be some angry. I'll have to send it back for a replacement if the CDI fails to fix it. :rolleyes:

It ran really good.

1fst400
08-15-2006, 08:54 PM
theres ways to test the stator I know that. it produces electicity. so why not just test the wires for voltage when your cranking the motor over:confused: .

as far as I know thers no way to test the cdi box and it either works or it dont

DieselBoy
08-22-2006, 06:25 PM
tested it. its the pulse generator like i figured. i guess i gotta send it back for another one... Maybe this time I'll bypass the harness wires that go to the CDI, and tap into the CDI plug. What a piss off.

Both times now it's been the pulse generator.