PDA

View Full Version : something to think about

trick450r
08-13-2006, 01:59 PM
so rescently i have been thinking alot about hanging up the helmet. After JJ's crash and mastrocola's crash and person after person getting seriously injured it makes me wonder if just loving the sport is worth risking my future. Its not so much the racing that worries be, its just the first corner. If you replay a holeshot in your mind you start to realize that 20 riders full of adrenaline and 7000 pounds of machinery barreling toward one corner is a death trap! anyway, its something to think about

440bigborekit
08-13-2006, 02:45 PM
i hear what your coming from but why would you give up the thing you love becuase ppl have gotton hurt in it, things are going to happen are you gonig to give up driving to beucase alot of ppl die in car accidents each year and it might not be worth your your future to drive im not trying to sound like a dick or anything im just saying it the way it is bro its not worth living if your not gonna have fun and just be worryed your whole life taking chances is what life is all about if we didnt take chances we would have nothing man you just gotta do what your gonna do but IMO i woulda hang up the helmet becuase somebody else got hurt just my opinion man. hope i helped

-brian

trick450r
08-13-2006, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by 440bigborekit
i hear what your coming from but why would you give up the thing you love becuase ppl have gotton hurt in it, things are going to happen are you gonig to give up driving to beucase alot of ppl die in car accidents each year and it might not be worth your your future to drive im not trying to sound like a dick or anything im just saying it the way it is bro its not worth living if your not gonna have fun and just be worryed your whole life taking chances is what life is all about if we didnt take chances we would have nothing man you just gotta do what your gonna do but IMO i woulda hang up the helmet becuase somebody else got hurt just my opinion man. hope i helped

-brian

i can understand what you say, and i mean no offense to you but thats the billy bad***** teenager approach i expected. I would consider myself to be a good racer, by no means a prodigy, but not a back of the pack rider either, i get top 5's in 4 stroke B routinely, at 16 years old i would consider myself above average. However, the chances of becoming a top pro and making a living are slim. I guess my conflict is should i race a few more years before settling in to something that will take me somewhere and risk the rest of my life every weekend, or should i give up, buy a stock 450r to goof around on and try some new things that money has constricted for a while now. Its not really a question to be answered but a place for advice to be given.

08-13-2006, 03:01 PM
if you're worried about getting hurt then forget about it...seriously man, you can break your leg walking down the street and having your foot fall into a ditch or something...

with any sport, the chances are slim but you still see kids your age playing soccer, football, baseball etc etc etc...

dont worry about getting hurt because each jump you go off of, you will wonder if you are going to crash on the landing and if you think that after ever jump, you will moreso then you would if you just raced and didnt worry about anything

i wouldnt hang up the helmet just yet...thats just me

trick450r
08-13-2006, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by mjpridered10
if you're worried about getting hurt then forget about it...seriously man, you can break your leg walking down the street and having your foot fall into a ditch or something...

with any sport, the chances are slim but you still see kids your age playing soccer, football, baseball etc etc etc...

dont worry about getting hurt because each jump you go off of, you will wonder if you are going to crash on the landing and if you think that after ever jump, you will moreso then you would if you just raced and didnt worry about anything

i wouldnt hang up the helmet just yet...thats just me

if i was considering quiting because i was afraid of breaking my leg, i would slap myself and ban myself from the computer...

Nick110
08-13-2006, 03:50 PM
I can see where your coming from Trick. But all that really needs to be done is shorten the holeshot. Instead of 4th/5th tapped going into one small arse sharp turn. It should be third max going into a wide corner. The risk of seriously getting hurt will go down but people will still fall. I thought that Unadilla was one of the sketchyest:eek: holeshots i have ever seen. I mean it was like 4th gear tapped going into a sharp narrow turn.

DieselBoy
08-13-2006, 04:42 PM
yeah... i'm a victim of a motosport accident that i will carry for the rest of my life. but, its minor compared to what can happen jumping/racing. I hear people getting paralized all too often, but if your like me I know my limits, and I trail ride, and due to my back I really can't ride extremely hard. I'm left with excrutiating spinal & muscle pain whenever I strain my back in any way, it really, really sucks.

rollie
08-13-2006, 05:02 PM
idk sean, id like to see you keep racing cuz your fun to watch, its cool to hang out with you and your pops and talk about racing and **** but family and saftey should deffintely come before racing, why dont you just take a break? like lay low for a while until things and your fear goes away a little maybe? if not then finsh up the season ang buy that 07, because as serious as we all take racing if you stoped you wouldnt be "quiting" or hangin up your helmet, you can always come back to race with no problem and still be competative :cool:

LittleMissE
08-13-2006, 05:19 PM
There are a alot of wrecks that have been happening lately.... But I still think that the atving sport all together is a blast( watching the races, duning, trail riding or whatever it maybe that someone does)!!! I know that when I think that something bad is going to happen and it starts playing in my head I get frecked out and have a hard time riding. So what I am trying to say is dont think while your racing or just riding that you are going to wreck b/c chances are you are going to be thinking to much about what might happen when you should be driving!!! Thats my opinion!!!

08-13-2006, 06:13 PM
i shatered my left femur, broke my wrist 4times..and stress-fractured my right ankle....all in 1 year....and all on a quad...but i still ride and i still race...look at it this way...you only get one life, live it!...and if you get hurt, so be it...make the best out of a bad situation.....i just cant see hanging up my helment because of a little pain....bones heal....you cant just die regretting something...:o

RaptorRacer45
08-13-2006, 06:23 PM
I just Destroyed a Footpeg,Nerfs and a Clutch today and that peg and Nerf could have easly been my leg....but did i let that worry me, nope and i went as far as i could untill my Clutch went.....i wouldent trade My Sport for anything, and if i get hurt, well ill just have 2 heal up and try again......this is my life and i love it:D

trick450r
08-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by the_440_kid
i shatered my left femur, broke my wrist 4times..and stress-fractured my right ankle....all in 1 year....and all on a quad...but i still ride and i still race...look at it this way...you only get one life, live it!...and if you get hurt, so be it...make the best out of a bad situation.....i just cant see hanging up my helment because of a little pain....bones heal....you cant just die regretting something...:o

im talking more permanent...how would you like the steer a wheelchair with your chin for the rest of your life because "you only got 1 life" so lets all ruin ours in the first 1/4 of it...woohoo

DieselBoy
08-13-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by trick450r
im talking more permanent...how would you like the steer a wheelchair with your chin for the rest of your life because "you only got 1 life" so lets all ruin ours in the first 1/4 of it...woohoo

exactly. some people don't think about that.

08-13-2006, 06:50 PM
no, i dont think about that...because if i did, i would become scared and never be able to ride to my fullest for fear of being paralyzed..if it happens to me, then that was just meant to happen....god plans everything for a reason...dont forget that

miller821
08-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by trick450r

If I was to die I would want it to be from the cause of something that I love doing. If I was to be in a wheel chair for the rest of my life I would know that my family would always be there for me, and I would make the best of it that I could. I was at a car show this week and I saw a man in a wheel chair all alone using his mouth to steer, I pitied him and felt so bad, but I also saw him still living life and enjoying what made him happy. I'm not askin for an injury, but if it happens I know that I got someone up above looking out for me, and his Will will be done not mine.

Scro
08-13-2006, 06:54 PM
It's hard to say whether or not you should stop racing. I guess it's all just personal preference. I could never stop riding, just for the simple fact that I would miserable all the time and not enjoy my life.

You may be in a different situation. To me, if you are saying that you are willing to stop riding because you are afraid of getting hurt, riding is not a big part of your life. You are the only one that can make that decision.

Hondadudeehhhh
08-13-2006, 07:06 PM
i believe since im never going to be a pro racer im not going to risk myself by racing with the heavy competition. I have fun racing at the local tracks where if i lose i dont really care, its still fun. That's just me, even if i dont race i will always ride whether its dicking around the trails or hitting some jumps at the practice track.

trick450r
08-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by bama450r
It's hard to say whether or not you should stop racing. I guess it's all just personal preference. I could never stop riding, just for the simple fact that I would miserable all the time and not enjoy my life.

You may be in a different situation. To me, if you are saying that you are willing to stop riding because you are afraid of getting hurt, riding is not a big part of your life. You are the only one that can make that decision.

first off, im not gonna quit riding or racing...that just wouldn;t work for me...but the every weekend deal is over...i have raced every weekend for the last 2.5 months between neatv-mx and nationals....theirs some other underlying issues that will cause me to slow down...but thanks for the input fellas...

DieselBoy
08-13-2006, 08:26 PM
i have a hoot just bootin around in the trails.

j_cyrus3
08-13-2006, 09:48 PM
I flipped my dads utility last year after I sold my 400ex. I was doing about 60, as fast as it would go. I hit a drainage ditch that was about 3 feet deep, 3 feet wide, the front wheels made it across but the back didn't, it flipped twice and the rear racks landed right by my head. It seemed like it took forever to land, and I was just waiting on the 700 pound beast to land on me and kill me. I got lucky, and it landed beside me, right beside my head I may add. I was scared for a little bit, I realized that I wasn't riding the 400ex anymore, that I was on a big utility that I couldn't hardly kick off of me if I were to flip it ontop of me. I didn't ride for about 2 months, but after that I was right back on it raising hell. I got a 450r a couple months ago, and I haven't had a bad crash with it yet, but it's just an accident waiting to happen. Things happen man, some get by without, some don't. I ride in the woods, so all im worried about is smackin a tree or something. During the 2 months I didn't ride, I thought every day about hanging the helmet up, but I realized it's what I love to do, and I wouldn't give it up for anything. Sorry for the long post guys, but I think you'll see my point after reading.