PDA

View Full Version : How long before....

400eXr1d3rZ
08-12-2006, 01:19 PM
Sand rusts my quads frame? I went to the dunes and my quad is all sandy, I never thought to clean it, i know i need to clean it, my bike is usually SPARKLING.

But how long does it take sand to rust a frame? even a tiny bit?

Somehow I forgot theres a Matentince section, if a mod could please move this for me, ill give you a cookie :p

tp300ex
08-12-2006, 01:40 PM
if its dry then it wont if its wet its just a matter of time....just got clean it befor it settles in ur chain and wat not;)

redexrider
08-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Sand itself will not rust a frame. The salt that may be mixed in with it will. Many dunes are near saltwater beaches and that residue will lead to rust. One thing sand will do is eat away paint as it hits the frame and leave exposed metal that will rust from the elements. But as I said before, the sand itself will not rust it.

DieselBoy
08-12-2006, 09:25 PM
kinda like sandblasting ;)

AR15 guy
08-12-2006, 11:38 PM
Hey Diesel boy...Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.

guinness77
08-12-2006, 11:42 PM
Everybody is right. I live by the sea and rust is a major pain in the rear. If you can, get 100% of the rust off. Then use POR15. Everyone tells me they swear by it. My frame has too much rust to use that stuff. I'm gonna have to completely take everything out of the frame to do it right. As it is... I've managed to remove nearly all of the rust and have protected it with the paint they use to cover cast iron wood stoves. If that doesn't last against the sand well, nuthing will. I used to use the 1200 degree engine paint. It couldn't stand up to the sand. If the stove paint doesn't work, then I'm gonna take everything off and have the frame stripped and triple thick poweder coated. Then I'm gonna wrap the frame in pipe insulation. HAHAHAHAHA. Rust won't have a chance.

ilpadrino113
08-13-2006, 12:19 PM
before riding just apply WD40 the the bottom and sides of the bike. Apply leberally and don't hold back and you won't pick up nearly as much sand