PDA

View Full Version : help

theTman
08-12-2006, 08:38 AM
ok i got this cannondale...and i got a new battery for it...but it wont start now

it seems like the starter is jammed, but i took it apart and it was all fine

the red wire going into the starter gets VERY hot and the engine wont turn over

can someone help me?

Big-Rob
08-12-2006, 09:07 AM
Sounds to me like the motor is siezed or the starter is shorted.
Does the motor turn over if you push start it?
Have you tested the starter out on the bench?

rollie
08-12-2006, 10:49 AM
the motor isnt sezied because he had it running for a few seconds, I've been trying to help him get it running too, i just thought of something tho, travis if you can get that tool that tells you if power is flowing threw the wires you might be able to find out if a wire is bad or something, idk just an idea my dad calls the tools "twigies" lol but idk what the real name for them is, you replaced the spark plug so thats all set, id go threw the entire electrail system travis, test them with that tool make sure all the grounds are tight, maybe go to cdalecentral and see if anyone has a starter assembly for the handlebars you could get for cheap, i hontesly dont think theres anything wrong with the engine, allthough is it full of oil? because you said its leaking, where exactly is it leaking from?? and another idea, check the vavle covers, because yours are still magniesem (sp) so maybe coolant isnt getting to the engine??? thats all my advice for now, hahaha im still tryin to thing because i want travis to get this thing running!

rollie
08-12-2006, 11:00 AM
maybe these will help?

http://www.blackwidowatv.com/manuals/2002_ATV_Wiring_Schematic_(MC1000).pdf

http://www.blackwidowatv.com/manuals/2002_ATV_Wiring_harness_diagram.pdf

travis im on a misson to get this thing goin!

NorCalRacer
08-12-2006, 10:40 PM
The starter can be pulled off in about 30 seconds. I would at least pull the starter off, run a 12v lead to the stud and a ground to the starter case. Make sure you pull your engine fuse before you pull everything off. If the starter works, then move on to your electrical.

Hope that helps narrow it down

armoks
08-13-2006, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by theTman
ok i got this cannondale...and i got a new battery for it...but it wont start now

it seems like the starter is jammed, but i took it apart and it was all fine

the red wire going into the starter gets VERY hot and the engine wont turn over

can someone help me?

These syptoms it sounds like the decompression mech failed. it's on the cam so you are probly going to have to pull the motor.

to check this pull off you're stator cover, put a 17 mm socket on it and try to turn over the motor. if it gets real tough and then spins like there was a ton of pressure on it (not sticking but alot of compression pressure) then it's most likely the decompression mech on the cam.

theTman
08-13-2006, 02:55 PM
:ermm: i know jack about motors

NorCalRacer
08-13-2006, 10:55 PM
The stator cover is the cover on the right hand side of your motor (if your sitting in your quad) with 4 screws in it. Mine is plastic.
All the service manuals for the engine are available at the cannondalers.com website.
Good luck

13th Grave
08-13-2006, 11:22 PM
Suck if it was a lower rod bearing.

theTman
08-14-2006, 05:39 PM
:ermm: idk whats up with it...it wont turn over either way.. (battery or bump start)...im almost 90% positive its seized...

and it shouldnt be a lower bearing...this is a early 2002 model which wasnt the cheap kind