PDA

View Full Version : Oil injection

ATKnewbie
08-12-2006, 02:50 AM
This may be a topic that is over done, but I am new and feeling my way around and have not found a true how-to on this.

I want to remove the oil injection system on my sons Unison 90.

I had been told to simply remove the hose from the carb and plug the port on the carb and then remove the tank and plug that end of the hose as well.
Then just leave the pump in the motor.

Is it that simple?

newnick
08-12-2006, 04:18 AM
That might be ok??? When I did ours, I also removed the gear from the crankshaft because thats what I was told to do. You should also remove the throttle cable and replace it with a single cable.

400ex4ever
08-12-2006, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by newnick
You should also remove the throttle cable and replace it with a single cable.

This is a definite replacement. My sons throttle froze open because of the small diapram piece moving at an angle. I to removed the gears from the crank.

bigdaddy
08-12-2006, 07:55 AM
Do like they said, remove the gears and buy a single throttle cable from Terry Cable.

ATKnewbie
08-12-2006, 08:18 AM
I was hoping to do this today and did not think about the throttle cable.
Any chance this is something I could pick up at a local Honda or Yamaha shop?

ATKnewbie
08-12-2006, 10:48 AM
OK, just so that I am clear on my mission.

Do I remove the oil pump all together or take it out, remove the gear and then re install it?

Do I take the gear off the actual crank or the pump?
If off the crank, will I need any special tools to get to it?

newnick
08-12-2006, 10:53 AM
I can't remember the details but I did not remove the pump, to hard to get to. No special tools were needed. I thought at one time I read a Suzuki cable would work but I don't remember which quad it came from.

oldyeller
08-14-2006, 10:45 AM
I just thought I would add you don't need the single cable unless you want to disconnect your old "Y" style cable from the pump...Of course you probably do since that extra thumb pressure required on the throttle is reason enough for some people to disconnect the pump.Also you might want to just make a loop with the oil hoses instead of just plugging them so the pump can pump some oil through it to keep it from siezing up...I've read some other opinions that say who cares if the pump siezes it will just break the little plastic gear and save you the trouble of pulling the flywheel and going in and taking it out???

Spike99
08-20-2006, 11:01 AM
ATKnewbie,

There are several different methods to disable the factory O/I system. Each method has their pros / cons.

For our '03 Pred-90, I performed the following:

- Removed the O/I tank.
- Unplugged its O/I tank wires and used them to drive a Relay, for our Daytime Running Lights.
- Plugged the inlet going into the carb.
- Removed factory "Y" cable and replaced with single cable.
- Removed the white gear (behind the stator assembly).

Note: With acess to this area, clean the stator, apply another coat of silicone protecter and replace its factory gasket with a much better gasket. For pictures of this area, surf:
http://community.webshots.com/album/262582347LVsyKh/0
http://community.webshots.com/album/262582347LVsyKh/1
http://community.webshots.com/album/262582347LVsyKh/2

- Removed the pump. It's a "pain" to get at its inner bolt but with some TLC (tender loving care), it can be done.
- Created a filler plate to cover the hole where its pump used to be.
- Drain all gas, including the bowl at the bottom of the carb, gas line and inline gas filter.
- Use "new gas" that is mixed. For us, I use Amsoil Dominator at 47:1. Some also use Amsoil Interceotor between 45:1 - 50:1. Use what brand of oil and ratio works best for you.

For lots of pictures, surf: http://community.webshots.com/album/130997005nxNiAA

Note: Special thanks to Billy Holt at WRH Racing for helping me with mod. His hand-holding and providing the needed parts for this area is still appreciated today. (smile).

Hope this helps as well....

Valder
08-20-2006, 12:44 PM
Excellent. Thanks for the link!!!! I'll be getting the Hetrick Pipe and kit this fall and will be removing the oil tank and pump. :D

Darrin