PDA

View Full Version : 06 450er - Torque Monster

GoldenGloves
08-12-2006, 02:36 AM
I'm buying a 450er this weekend, and I want to modify it SLIGHTLY to provide torque, I dont want to take away from the hp to gain it, I just want some products that will provide significent gains in both, despite cost.. I was curious if anyone has any suggestions or any experiance from their parts.. I'm not looking for any porting or boring yet, just basic starts..

1) LRD / Yoshi Full exhaust
2) K&N Air Filter
3) Hotcam Stage1
4) Screened Air Lid

and

Q1) Would the HRC kit be worth getting even though your not going to use the cam?

Q2) Is there anywhere to actually unplug the green wire instead of snipping it?

Q3) Would all those parts listed above be worth going to a dyno to get some numbers?

Sorry, I'm sure these questions have been covered numerous times, I searched as best as I could and couldnt relaly find anything on the questions asked.. If everything goes as planned, I should have some dyno numbers for you guys by the end of this month, any imput is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

GoldenGloves
08-12-2006, 07:05 AM
20 views and not one response, come on fellas I need your help and suggestions!!

CHEVYZ
08-12-2006, 07:15 AM
This is the set up I run, and I think it runs perfect....

Get the HRC kit and buy a Curtis Sparks jet kit (If you want, you can buy a slip on pipe and air filter, but it isn't necessary at this time). Install the HRC kit as you would in the book. Now, there is another end piece for the pipe that comes with the HRC kit. Instead of installing it as it is, go to the back of the piece and cut the little "Baffle" like portion off. You will have a basically unbaffled larger end piece... which I find works great! Now, you say you want a screened air lid. Do you REALLY need it? You can lose up to 2 RWHP between a screened lid and no lid... tested by a buddy of mine on the dyno. If it is a must, You can make a custom lid yourself for free. Now, for the airfilter. The big airfilter that comes with it already flows decently. Take off the airfilter from the skeleton underneath. Cut out areas of the skeleton.. it should also improve airflow. If you want, you can put in a k&n, but it's really not necessary for the time. I would recommend getting a pipe and airfilter later. Because you have actually opened the bike up a little more than what the HRC is specific to, I would recommend stepping the jet up from the one equiped from with the HRC kit.

Don't know about the green wire, but the HRC kit will come with a harness to do everything there.. I think it gives it like 1000 more RPM.

The parts you tested are fine, but I am telling you what works for me. I personally am not too crazy about Hotcams, but I really like the HRC cam. It makes a ton of bottom to mid power!
Either way it would be worth it to test, though.

Anyway, the set up I have specified does wonders for me. The bottom end is crazy... during drag races the bike will wheelie nearly the entire way across.... and power wise, I have beaten everything I have raced against in my class.... heck, I've even ran with some (For example, 400EX) drag bikes in the sand.

CHEVYZ
08-12-2006, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by GoldenGloves
20 views and not one response, come on fellas I need your help and suggestions!! Sorry bro, took a little while... slow today.

tltcracing
08-12-2006, 02:30 PM
the HRC is not worth getting if you are not going to use the cam, thats the main thing in it. i think the LRD give a little more tork and the yoshi gives more hp. i dont think the green wire unplugs. and yes i would go to a dyno, its the best way to get your jeting spot on and the ppl at the dynos usually can help a bunch with your testing.

st8jacket
08-12-2006, 06:01 PM
piece the hrc kit yourself...cut the lid,find the endcap and jumperwire on ebay...get a yfz needle and 160=175 mains and your set....alot cheaper than a whole kit...btw have you ridden an 06? there plenty torque over the 05's.....

GoldenGloves
08-12-2006, 06:26 PM
I'm kind of confused, some say get the HRC kit, and some say dont if I'm not going to use the cam..

I'll probly go with the LRD, unless there are any other reports of an exhaust with better torque / horsepower

K&N Filter

And which would be the best cam, am I going to have too much torque to where I cant keep the front end down, do I want to go with a hotcam stage 2?

If worst comes to worst and I cant find a good combo, I'll just settle for the HRC kit for now

Phills450r
08-12-2006, 06:40 PM
I really don't think you can beat the HRC kit for the money.. my motor is all stock besides the HRC kit and I haven't been beaten on the holeshot yet.. why not use the cam though?

st8jacket
08-12-2006, 06:41 PM
I think personally you should ride it for a while to see if you like it ....it has alot of torque.Did you get it yet,and have you ridden a 06 yet?
ps,the 06 hrc headpipe and end cap make a good amount of hp,in the top 3...

GoldenGloves
08-12-2006, 06:45 PM
Yeah, I've rode an 06, but I didnt really get the feel of it, being it was only for a few mins..

I guess I'll just get the HRC kit, LRD full exhaust and a K&N, anything else I should add to the setup?

and thanks for your help and input guys, this is really helping me make my decisions

GoldenGloves
08-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Anyone?

coalson
08-12-2006, 09:21 PM
I have an lrd full exhaust and a k&n and jetted. and mines runs awesome. I think youl be happy with that setup and really happy when u cam it im in the same boat i dont know what cam to go whith. Someone told me the curtis sparks is the best so i think i might get that.

TCracin440ex
08-12-2006, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by GoldenGloves
Yeah, I've rode an 06, but I didnt really get the feel of it, being it was only for a few mins..

I guess I'll just get the HRC kit, LRD full exhaust and a K&N, anything else I should add to the setup?

and thanks for your help and input guys, this is really helping me make my decisions

i believe you aught to just get the 06 first then make your decisions later on what mods you will do to it...i know for starters i chose the hrc cam becausei dont plan on changing the exhaust right now, and adding power...i actually like my 06 the way it is...my hrc kit is going in tuesday which will give it a little more...im more concerned with handling department and saftey features like nerfbars...ill tweek my motor later on after the warrenty runs out....i might put a full curtis sparks on it sometime soon....but far as motor mods the hrc kit will do for me just fine..

GoldenGloves
08-13-2006, 07:10 PM
What Dyno Jet stage kit should I get for this setup.?

HRC Kit
LRD Pro4 Full Exhaust
K&N Air Filter

st8jacket
08-13-2006, 07:19 PM
none...the hrc kit is going to give you the needle that you need...and pick up an assortment of mains from160-185 and your golden...maybe a pilot a size bigger but most likely u wont need it...Unless you like to spend money,but that is up to u..

give the hrc pipe a try,I think u will be happy with it...unless you just dont what the stock looking exhaust..but with the hrc head pipe and endcap,your gonna have a top performing pipe...

GoldenGloves
08-13-2006, 07:43 PM
So all I would need is an assortment of mains and a pilot size bigger, where would I be able to buy them at?

st8jacket
08-13-2006, 07:46 PM
Ah,your local main jet store...I.E your dealer...

GoldenGloves
08-14-2006, 12:44 AM
thanks guys, I appreciate all your help

GoldenGloves
08-14-2006, 12:46 AM
Also anyone know where I can get a HRC kit for an 06, I can only seam to find them for an 04-05

BSTURDIVANT
08-14-2006, 05:37 PM
HRC kit is a waste of money if not using the cam! Cut the green wire (small plug on left side, viewing from front, of CDI) tape both ends. Install 165 main jet, remove air box lid and install your Hotcam and pipe.

czrider263
08-14-2006, 05:42 PM
DRG is building my 06 motor right now!!! SOOOOON we will know exactly what a 06 can do!!!

czrider263
08-14-2006, 05:42 PM
DRG is building my 06 motor right now!!! SOOOOON we will know exactly what a 06 can do!!!

GoldenGloves
08-14-2006, 06:13 PM
I'll use the HRC cam for now and see how I like it, but where can I buy the kit for an 06?

CHEVYZ
08-14-2006, 06:22 PM
Ebay is a good place to find them. If you still cannot find any, let me know. I can get them from my dealer for $300 bucks. Of course it would be a little more for shipping and gas, but it should be about what everywhere else charges for me to get it to you.