PDA

View Full Version : Making my quad race ready

z400rida44
08-10-2006, 02:52 PM
ok i am wanting to try out a harescramble pretty soon and i was just wondering what mods i should do to make my quad perform better. i am kinda on a budget so i just want the basic mods that will make my quad perform better. right now its all stock

Scro
08-10-2006, 03:29 PM
A good set of 6-ply tires would be the first place to start. I wouldn't do anything to the motor except for an exhaust. Suspension, you could get the stockers revalved if you are on a budget.

440racer66
08-10-2006, 05:23 PM
get derisi to rebuild them i have a set the best ever i love them and if you want ungodly power for the woods 13:1 i love it i race mx now so i qiut xcin

yfz450inMI
08-11-2006, 11:28 AM
DeRisi rebuild is like $500 for both fronts (last I checked).

I'd sell your stockers on ebay for $200 and then buy a set of triple rate Elkas for $465. You'd be surprised how many guys want stock YFZ shocks for their Raptors, Banshees, etc.

6ply tires are definitely a good choice.

Also get some nerf bars and a kill switch.

All that being said, what's your budget? Depending on how much you can spend we can probably make recommendations on what to buy first, second....

cchrider
08-11-2006, 12:35 PM
I would get tires. I race xc and some gncc so far and the best tire setup I have found that I like is Maxxis razr'2s on front and just razr's on the rear. I would also look into an aftermarket fuel tank. I am running the IMS tank and I have not had any issues with running out of fuel with it. Deffinetly get some nerf bars. Those have saved me several times. Just for you first harscramble, unless you are going to start getting really into racing and everything than I wouldnt shovel out the big dollars for aftermarket suspension. I am running Elka/Houser LT front end and they have been really nice. I know Elka has there valving issues, but mine were valved right and are great shocks. IMO before you get any of this stuff, I would get a steering dampner. I think that is a MUST for xc racing. I honestly think if you just adjust your shocks they would be fine. I dont see a need to revalve unless you are getting into it and plan on running several races. The stock shocks on the YFZ's really are not that bad if you tune them and just play with them. Oh and deffinetly some good skid plates. I am using PRM belly and swingarm skid plates and they are the best quality IMO. I think that is pretty much just some first things for your first race. Of course if you start getting into xc racing or just racing period there is alot more stuff you should get. But I think this would be fine.
Good luck on your first race.

tltcracing
08-12-2006, 10:22 AM
i think #1 thing should be a dampner. since you said you just want to try it out i would say get a Denton or simalar style stick one. next i would get some nice big 22' 6-ply tires. i dont think you need to revalve your shocks just yet because your just tring it out. and i also dont think you need a new pipe but if you have the extra money and really think you are not going to hear it during a race then puy it. there really are no bad pipes but i think you should think about skids, full and swinger, before the pipe.

ZSK
08-12-2006, 10:28 AM
Put on a killswitch and race. Why spend more money if you're just going to try it out?

Toadz400
08-14-2006, 08:50 PM
I'm with ZSK, just get a killswitch along with nerf bars and try it out. If you really like it and want to race more often I would highly suggest tires, wheels, suspension, and a steering stabilizer before anything else. The only time you'll really need performance parts is if you're racing the Pro class. Harescrambles are all about endurance, as is any race really, and a person is much faster on a quad that handles better than one that is just faster in a straight line.

korniev
08-15-2006, 01:50 AM
Depends on budget but for sure do not touch your engine. Invest into suspension. I would say first things to get if you wanna go smart are tires, damper, antivibe steering stem and possibly Flexx bars. If you can afford, start with rebuilding your shocks or getting aftermarket!

firefighterjosh
08-15-2006, 02:16 AM
If you never raced before this is all you need.

#1 Saftey Gear (Helmet, Gloves, Goggles.....Minimum)
#2 Kill Switch (All Races I have been too you need one...Its a Rule)

If you have the money...
#3invest in a Belly Skid plate and a Swing arm skid. It will keep you from breaking something.
#4 I like to have Nerf Bars. Keeps crap from hitting your feet and other quads out of your legs.

Just go out and try it. See if you like it.
I raced a stock Banshee my first race and placed 5th.

Now I have a fully deck out quad and place in the upper half:confused:

I race with a guy who has all stock 400 it might have a pipe and he wins alot.

XC dosen't matter what you have its how you ride it.

After you get a few races under your belt and the basic riding assories then the world is open to what ever mods you want.

pnut420
08-15-2006, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
If you never raced before this is all you need.

#1 Saftey Gear (Helmet, Gloves, Goggles.....Minimum)
#2 Kill Switch (All Races I have been too you need one...Its a Rule)

If you have the money...
#3invest in a Belly Skid plate and a Swing arm skid. It will keep you from breaking something.
#4 I like to have Nerf Bars. Keeps crap from hitting your feet and other quads out of your legs.

Just go out and try it. See if you like it.
I raced a stock Banshee my first race and placed 5th.

Now I have a fully deck out quad and place in the upper half:confused:

I race with a guy who has all stock 400 it might have a pipe and he wins alot.

XC dosen't matter what you have its how you ride it.

After you get a few races under your belt and the basic riding assories then the world is open to what ever mods you want.

Well said. 13:1 compression and pipe arent going to do much if you can't hang onto the yfz stock in the woods. Just run 1 race then go from that. Most likely you will get hooked and want to get all the good stuff.