PDA

View Full Version : 1st Time 426 build-PLEASE HELP ME!

bocefus78
08-10-2006, 09:44 AM
Hi-I am going to be modding my stocker to a Weisco 426 kit. I would like some input from all who have done this. Do I need to have the rockers hardened? How about heavy duty head studs and timing chain? Heavy duty valve springs? I have a 99 and I am surprised it's made it this far without blowing up. I maintian it regularly. Anything I should check while I have her all apart such as bearings inside etc? This is all stuff I have never done but me and my manual will get it done. I want the bike to be like new but not cost as much as a new one. We all know it isnt worth anything right now so I might as well keep it and beef her up. Anyone have an idea on the total cost of this? Thanks!

440_Turtle
08-10-2006, 10:26 AM
As far as how much it will cost teh sky is the limit, its all in how much you want to spend. I woudl suggest that you replace teh timing chain with a heavy duty one they are abotu $50 or so, and i woudl also suggest that you get a stage 2 cam. If you do decide to do the cam you may want to upgrade to HD valve springs but you shouldnt need hardned rockers unless the cam specifically suggests it. Other thing to suggest, Cometic makes teh best gaskets but they are a little pricey. You will need to get a shop to pressout you old sleeve and bore the cylinder and set teh new sleeve. Just take your time breaking it in, make sure the rings have time to seat, but its pretty much a 3-4 hour job once you have all the parts together. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Toadz400
08-10-2006, 11:13 AM
Instead of spending big bucks on the heavy duty timing chain (it used to be $90), get the CRF450R timing chain which is only about $30. I can't remember exactly what year you're supposed to get...it's either '01 or '04, for some reason those two years stick out to me. I'd wait for someone who knows for sure to answer though, or I could ask my friend who used this chain when doing his rebuild. Getting the heavy duty timing chain isn't really needed but it's more of an insurance benefit, you know it'll last much longer than the stock one.

You don't need the rockers hardened, just the basic rebuild should be fine. Make sure to check all the valves and valve guides for wear and clearance. I would highly recommend replacing all that anyway, as it'll save you from the headache of having to replace them further down the road (if they don't need to be replaced now).

underpowered
08-10-2006, 12:29 PM
is your bike totally stock now? what mods do you currently have?

an 11:1 426 runs pretty good. you can do it on the stock sleeve (mine is) but some suggest you install a BB sleeve, but there is no need. i would suggest you get a cam, it will work well with the piston. cost is up to you pretty much. for just a new piston, gaskets, and a bore you could do it for about $250 with you doing the work. if you go farther, teh price goes up. for a cam+100-150
Port and polish +200-300
HD studs (Highly recomended)+60 for parts and 20 for install
Kibblewhite valves+120
HD spring kit+200
HD rod+90 +install price (varies shop to shop)

my 426 has been together for three years and just is getting a new piston now, and that is only becase it is apart, it did not really even need it.

bocefus78
08-10-2006, 12:52 PM
Underpowered- Motorwise, yes it is stock. I have never been past checking valve clearance so I have no idea what the cyllinder wall looks like. Can it be beyond repair and still running? So far, everyone is saying do the cam (stage 2) so Im sure I will do that. You are the first one to say HD headstuds.... U have a bad experience? Why do you suggest? I have heard from others they are only needed on the 440's or bigger. BTW, I am going to get the 11:1 so I can still run 93 octane. I'm not looking to build a racer, just a reliable Honda with some more power. Thanks for the help everyone!

GPracer2500
08-10-2006, 02:41 PM
I put HD studs in my 416. Better safe than sorry, I say.

wilkin250r
08-10-2006, 04:41 PM
The heavy-duty studs are cheap enough to make it a good idea. Kinda like changing your transmission in your car, go ahead and change the clutch, too. Cheap insurance. Imagine if you had to pay somebody else to do the work. A blown headgasket will cost $200 to swap out, all so you could save a whopping $60.

Me, personally, I wouldn't go with a stage 2 cam unless you also get the head ported. The porting will let it breath and have more power at higher RPMs (where the stage 2 cam is designed to operate), and couple it with a hi-rev CDI.